Is it a bad time to open a salon now?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all.
I'm already with Dermalogica -I'm not going to invest another £3k to change the skincare (which I adore!!!) -surely there is market for both of us?! There are many Tesco's next to Sainsbury's and they all seem to do well.
Cathie -the rates are £1300 per year but apparently the council is considering scraping off the rates from April for 1 year to help small businesses.
Jules

Ahhhh if you already have them then I would probably pop into the other salon to explain that you already have an account, existing clients etc and aren't looking to step on their toes or poach clients.

I do think there is a market for salons in the same town that stock the same range im just not sure how much bad blood it would cause being on the same road.

A few months ago a therapist started up round the corner from me and I heard on the grapevine she was using Dermalogica (she wasn't but at the time didn't know that) and I can honestly say my blood ran cold I was panicking that she might massively undercut me on treatment prices or start offering massive discounts on retail etc.

This is just my opinion and there are quite a few salons in same town as me with Dermalogica but I honestly would be really cross if a salon just popped up on my road with same range, if they came in for a chat and explained they were already an account holder then i wouldn't have an issue with this.

Might be worth contacting your rep though as when I thought therapist by me had it I called rep asap and she said that although you can take your account with you wherever you go they would look into something like this if there were two salons literally on one anothers doorstep as it could get very messy.

I saw go for it

You sound enthusiastic and I am sure you know how much work is involved

I wish you all the best

I would go for it

Last year I looked at premises and missed the boat....someone jumped in there for me.

I am in a dilema to, love what I do etc but also have an offer at uni to go back to studying....Im not sure which way to go in todays climate

I have viewed a great location and a great building that will house all I need, working from home isnt a viable option for me dogs and I live on a steep hill..lol with lots of steps to the house

Rents should be cheaper now...and people are still booking treatments. I find myself turning beauty buisness down because I cant bear the thought of lugging my heavy couch around for waxing and all the other bits and pieces that go with it.

So go with it.....better to have tried than sit back and regret

Keep us posted, oh and why not ask your husband for his input with regards to bits and pieces has he looked around with you? ...get him involved, he may be a tad jealous because of his situation and not good for his ego...he may offer to do reception for you

I am sure you already know but --just in case!
If you buy an existing salon you nherit the existing staff and all their terms and conditions.Make sure you know what you are getting and make sure there are no outstanding claims against the business

with regard to what bombi said i would check with dermalogica because when i started working for the last salon i was at they wanted to stock dermalogica but there was a salon 8 doors down from us who stocked it and kicked up a fuss so the salon couldnt stock it.

Like everyone else has said - A - there is never a right time and B - if you work hard you can make it profitable. Just think of yourself as a consumer, and why you might choose another salon as over your own. If you're having problems, identify them that way.

It makes me a bit sad to hear about your husband. My fiance is so ridiculously supportive, I dont think I would be so far ahead as I am now if he wasnt behind me 100%. He even comes to the beauty shows with me and has been reading Marian Newmans book! ;) I think perhaps your husband may be afraid of losing you, men can be scared of ambitious women. I recommend getting him involved. If he plays sport, explain the benefits of pedicures for men who've been battering their toes in boots all day etc.

I'm opening my salon in 2 months and have been haggling like crazy on everything, you CAN use the recession to your advantage. I even bagged 2 months free rent!

For you reception dilemma, I would get an intern. i have two amazing interns that keep things smooth at the office as well as promoting the brand. They love it.

Good luck with your salon, hope it goes well.

You need to make sure that you have taken everything into account. My rent is just 1/6th of my monthly outgoings. You need to account for rent, rates, water, electric,gas, telephone, accountants fees, solicitors fees, advertising, stock, music licence etc...
I approached the council and got a small business relief for my rates for the first 5 years. They gave me a 50% discount.
People are cutting back on things like new cars and holidays so they do feel that they need to treat themselves in other ways!
If you have taken everything into consideration and feel that you still want to go ahead then go for it.
It's hard work and the first few months are scary but as long as you have enough money to see yourself through the first year then go for it and good luck!

You seem to have a great attitude so I say go for it. What others dont tell you - apart form sites like this - is that there will be times when you dont see daylight! It is yours and only your responsibility to make the business work, it is down to you if clients dont come in, if sales are down, if clients dont like the products, if staff do not work out. There are not enough words to describe what it feels like to make a success of your business but just before you open think about what happens if it doesnt. Its a scary thought but you must. Once you have a contingency plan, a back up system, inner strength that allows you to remain positive even if it seems your whole world is falling apart.............. then you'll be fine!

As said before planning is the only way to succeed. I wish you well - feel free to pm anytime :green:

Latest posts

Back