Is It My Brush, My Acrylic...or Me!?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xAnnaBannAx

Reaction score
I know a good workman should never blame their tools...and im sure its probably me...BUT I have practisied and practised and practised! and am wondering if I need to try a different brush or something....or just keep perservering (although improvements are so slow and I can hardly see it getting better).

My problem is my l & p mix ratio AND applying it successfully...once I place a bead on the nail I try to pat it to the places I wanna go and it just doesnt seem to wanna move! I usually end up applying lots of pressure with the belly of my brush (which im pretty sure i shouldnt have to do) just to get it to move anywhere........but it still dont move far...then hay presto!...its set! and i might as well have stuck a golf ball onto the nail! lol I have read the tutorials over and over as well as books but just cant seem to get it to do what I want.....

.......any ideas?

I think you are working with it to dry and also probably your bead is to big, try a wetter smaller ball and see how you go.

It sounds like you may be working too dry......

HTH

I know a good workman should never blame their tools...and im sure its probably me...BUT I have practisied and practised and practised! and am wondering if I need to try a different brush or something....or just keep perservering (although improvements are so slow and I can hardly see it getting better).

My problem is my l & p mix ratio AND applying it successfully...once I place a bead on the nail I try to pat it to the places I wanna go and it just doesnt seem to wanna move! I usually end up applying lots of pressure with the belly of my brush (which im pretty sure i shouldnt have to do) just to get it to move anywhere........but it still dont move far...then hay presto!...its set! and i might as well have stuck a golf ball onto the nail! lol I have read the tutorials over and over as well as books but just cant seem to get it to do what I want.....

.......any ideas?

I would suggest you go back to who you have done your training with and ask for a one 2 one training session and they can assess where you are going wrong. It is amazing how much difference such a short space of time with a trainer can make to your application.

I changed to a short handled square brush and had it flattened and I improved so much after that. xxx

What's always good is practicing on a piece of laminated plastic or something similar.

Keep picking up beads and placing them on the laminate. If they don't move they are too dry. If they completely fall apart then they're too wet. Of course, I only have experience from working with Creative, so your system may be different?

When picking up the beads also, think to yourself 'going going gone'. If there's still powder on your brush after your second gone then its too dry. If it mixes in (not the right word I know) straight away then it's too wet. When you've reached your final gone and it's the right consistency, thats when you apply it.

Unfortunately, I can't explain it any more details because when I do it I just know - which I know isn't the same for everyone but I can't put it into words!

xx

The laminated paper is a good sugestion, i still do this every now and then, you will get a way to do different size beads the right consistancy, then when they are dry they all come off the laminate for the next practice!

it depends on the acrylic you use, try wiping off (your brush) less, you may be working too dry, or your environment is too hot (temperature effects setup time also), each time you do a nail (do some practice tips) adjust until your consistency is correct)

Sorry to say this, but after checking your profile, it mentions you are training with Essential Nails ...... this is a video system, and you really need some tuition (in person) to guide you through problems (many of which can be solved in a matter of minutes when you have someone in person), regardless ... you have made your decision, try and get some one on one with an experienced and respected tech, they can fix your woes so quickly, rather than going through the frustration of trying to sort things out yourself.

The beauty of your post and question is the fact you recognise something is wrong, may I suggest you seek some truly professional advice and you will achieve your goals much faster.

I mean no offense by my reply .... just get some real life/in person advise.

What brush are you using and how long have you been using it?
Sounds as though your mix ratio is too dry as already said but also maybe a new brush could do no harm as they need replacing eventually anyway? If the brush is ok you could always keep it for glitters etc.

yes i spoke to my tutor earlier and she said it might be too dry......i was trying on some paper towel yesterday...just kept placing balls on their...but i just cant seem to get it...i cant understand how its too dry when all the powder has been absorbed, thanx everyone for your suggestions...i guess i just need to keep at it....i feel like my liquid and powder is a deformed rubix cube at the minute lol.

What brush are you using and how long have you been using it?
Sounds as though your mix ratio is too dry as already said but also maybe a new brush could do no harm as they need replacing eventually anyway? If the brush is ok you could always keep it for glitters etc.

Its the brush i was provided with by essential nails...its not that old so doesnt need replacing just yet...i just wish it was a bit more firmer but its probably just me!

it depends on the acrylic you use, try wiping off (your brush) less, you may be working too dry, or your environment is too hot (temperature effects setup time also), each time you do a nail (do some practice tips) adjust until your consistency is correct)

Sorry to say this, but after checking your profile, it mentions you are training with Essential Nails ...... this is a video system, and you really need some tuition (in person) to guide you through problems (many of which can be solved in a matter of minutes when you have someone in person), regardless ... you have made your decision, try and get some one on one with an experienced and respected tech, they can fix your woes so quickly, rather than going through the frustration of trying to sort things out yourself.

The beauty of your post and question is the fact you recognise something is wrong, may I suggest you seek some truly professional advice and you will achieve your goals much faster.

I mean no offense by my reply .... just get some real life/in person advise.

No offence taken....I know it would be better to have a real life tutor...i went with essential nails at the time as a) I didnt know any better (should of done more research!) and b) i could pay in installments! I do plan on doing class room based training once i have completed this course...i have paid for it so im gonna flippin finish it lol

Do you or anyone know what is the ideal temperature for my room to be? and just wondered if my table lamp had anything to do with it drying so fast? as it does feel quite warm when on...but I need it to see what im doin properly!

i was trying on some paper towel yesterday...just kept placing balls on their...but i just cant seem to get it...i cant understand how its too dry when all the powder has been absorbed,
This is a problem in itself, when you place balls on a paper towel, the towel will absorb the liquid immediately, making it almost impossible to move, try and test on some tips, that is more likely to be the consistency you need.
If i was teaching you in person (rather than a video) I would correct this in a matter of seconds ....... get my drift?

I had the same problem but the other way round, lol. They were too wet. I kept practising and asked my tutuor, she sugested playing with ratio. I did and it went from one problem to another :irked:. So i changed my brush and Voila! it worked. The brush i had was about £15 with vat so i got one that was about £25 with vat, the difference was unreal. I have had this problem with a lot of things. I bought cheaper implements etc when i started and i have gradually had to go and buy everything again but better, so its cost me more in the long run :cry:
Im not saying your brush is cheap but it did solve my problem. Hope that helps and good luck, xx.

This is a problem in itself, when you place balls on a paper towel, the towel will absorb the liquid immediately, making it almost impossible to move, try and test on some tips, that is more likely to be the consistency you need.
If i was teaching you in person (rather than a video) I would correct this in a matter of seconds ....... get my drift?

that makes sense...very good point. x

Latest posts

Back