Is Minx REALLY that expensive?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovebeauty14

Reaction score
Hey peeps.
Been getting to grips with Minx and I'm loving it, done two sets so far, and on a set of feet I used two small 'toes' and one big 'toe' to do a whole set of feet! Well maybe I'm being naive but that application must only have cost me about a quid. Why does everyone say they are so expensive? Am I missing something? The only gripe I had was there was only two large 'toes' on the sheet which will be pretty restricting unless my next client has teensie tootsies.

In a pack there are 20 enough for fingers and toes. One edge os the edge to put along the cuticle and u then cut the excess off I do not reuse this so then a pack of minx does one set of fingers and one set of toes so im guessing you use all the wasted minx for the others toes

Well yes I cut a little square to size just longer than the nail and peel it off the backing with tweezers, apply in the usual way. Trim neatly to size using cuticle clippers and file excess off free edge using crystal file. This is how I was taught.

In a pack there are 20 enough for fingers and toes. One edge os the edge to put along the cuticle and u then cut the excess off I do not reuse this so then a pack of minx does one set of fingers and one set of toes so im guessing you use all the wasted minx for the others toes
Why don't you use the 'cut-offs'?! I'm shocked that you'd waste so much. :)

Hey peeps.
Been getting to grips with Minx and I'm loving it, done two sets so far, and on a set of feet I used two small 'toes' and one big 'toe' to do a whole set of feet! Well maybe I'm being naive but that application must only have cost me about a quid. Why does everyone say they are so expensive? Am I missing something? The only gripe I had was there was only two large 'toes' on the sheet which will be pretty restricting unless my next client has teensie tootsies.

No Minx is not that expensive. You can work out what your service cost by dividing the cost of your sheet of Minx (including VAT & postage) then divide by 20 (number of wraps per sheet). So you wouldn't be guessing what it cost you - you would know. The problem is definatley the lack of larger size wraps and I have seen plenty of posts saying this.

Why don't you use the 'cut-offs'?! I'm shocked that you'd waste so much. :)
I agree - I hate to waste Minx and use the cut off's all the time.
I can do a set of toes (with large big toes and long smaller toes) with just 5 wraps but I then have lots of the smaller size wraps left and have had to be imaginative to come up with ways of using these smaller wraps. It really is awful to be ordering in the same design just for the larger size wraps for big toes.

Totally agree, I wish they made sheets of just the two bigger sizes so I could use up all the small ones I have left. Even if they just did the 10 most popular designs.

Lovebeauty, unless you can get at least 7 sets out of a pack, its not costing the amount you quoted, plus, of course, you have to include your time aswell as materials.

Rather than counting the amount of wraps on a sheet to work out costs, you need to know how many big toes you can get out of a sheet.

Last edited:
Totally agree, I wish they made sheets of just the two bigger sizes so I could use up all the small ones I have left. Even if they just did the 10 most popular designs.

I think they need to rethink the sizes on every sheet as there are always loads of smaller sizes left and no big sizes. No matter what design it is we should be able to use most of the sheet & not be left with approx half the sheet all in small sizes and therfore wasted - I am aware there are ways of getting clients to have just 4 toes of wraps and big toes in shellac or crystals but it would be nice not to have to wait to get someone who is willing to have the Minx & match. It would be nice to get use out of most of the sheet by just dong Minx on all toes.

I think they should have 6 of the bigest size on each sheet with less of the smaller ones. This would mean we could get full use of most of the wraps on every sheet instead of being left with loads of smaller wraps.

We should start a petition! More big sizes on the sheet! Yup, when you think of it, it is way more than a pound.

I only do minx on myself and am still using up my 'Toe' sheets. I have read of others on here being able to get several sets out of one sheet but, no matter how I try, I can't. I have plenty of sizes left over, but none that will do the job properly on my tootsies. :sad:

I've seen alot of pics with a sparkly big toe and minx little toes. Or a hand painted big toe and minx little toes. Does minx work on top of polish? You could paint he big nail and us a minx up the centre or on one side, and make a design out of it. Maybe put a line if glitter either side, something like that.

I've seen alot of pics with a sparkly big toe and minx little toes. Or a hand painted big toe and minx little toes. Does minx work on top of polish? You could paint he big nail and us a minx up the centre or on one side, and make a design out of it. Maybe put a line if glitter either side, something like that.

The ideas for using up the Minx leftovers is 1 thing (I already do crystal big toe with 4 smaller toe Minx) but my point is if Minx made more of the large size on every sheet we wouldn't need to be doing these imaginative things - taking more of our time and trying to persuade our clients to have these adaptions.

We should be able to use most of the wraps on every sheet we buy and we would be able to do that with more big size wraps and less of the smaller size wraps.

The ideas for using up the Minx leftovers is 1 thing (I already do crystal big toe with 4 smaller toe Minx) but my point is if Minx made more of the large size on every sheet we wouldn't need to be doing these imaginative things - taking more of our time and trying to persuade our clients to have these adaptions.

We should be able to use most of the wraps on every sheet we buy and we would be able to do that with more big size wraps and less of the smaller size wraps.

I sooo agree! I have tried a mix and match sort of effect, but it's not what I really want so, much as I love minx, I am a little disappointed with the sizing and dread running out of my 'Toe' minx for the new sheets. :irked:

Hey peeps.

That's what I do x

We should start a petition! More big sizes on the sheet! Yup, when you think of it, it is way more than a pound.

Another pair of big toe size would be fab!

Hey peeps.
Been getting to grips with Minx and I'm loving it, done two sets so far, Why does everyone say they are so expensive?

Hi Can I ask do you need a seperate lamp or training course to do minx? I do shellac at the moment so have the cnd lamp etc or is it just a case of buying the sheets of minx? can you use the shellac base/top coats?

I have no clue about minx but just wondered if it was another thing I could add relatively cheaply to my list of treatments?

Lisa

Hey peeps.
Been getting to grips with Minx and I'm loving it, done two sets so far, Why does everyone say they are so expensive?

Hi Can I ask do you need a seperate lamp or training course to do minx? I do shellac at the moment so have the cnd lamp etc or is it just a case of buying the sheets of minx? can you use the shellac base/top coats?

I have no clue about minx but just wondered if it was another thing I could add relatively cheaply to my list of treatments?

Lisa

Hi hun, minx is sticky backed and its the adhesive that you heat up with your lamp before applying to the nail.
So you can use an infer red lamp or a hair dryer, (now don't all shout, it's horses for courses. When we first started with minx we didn't have the lamp and I'm one of those peeps who gets a better service using a small hair dryer) this softens the adhesive and you then apply to the nail press down from middle to edges to avoid bubbles, stretch slightly over the free edge and trim of. It's a nice quick service with a fantastic finish. I don't keep many designs in stock, I just tend to keep the book on the table, clients have a flick through and if they like something and I haven't got it for a small deposit, I'll get it in for them.
Some like it, so it's worth being able to supply but I personally get asked more for rock star Shelac then I do minx.
I think different areas of the country have slightly different fashion trends:hug:

Unless you are like me and do more fingers than toes! I get left with the biggest one all the time!

I know toes are more popular in the UK but that is because not so many Minx users are confident users for fingers (or don't know how to sell it to your clients)

It can be done and, like all nail services, it depends on the nail surface and how to make it right for Minx

Unless you are like me and do more fingers than toes! I get left with the biggest one all the time!

I know toes are more popular in the UK but that is because not so many Minx users are confident users for fingers (or don't know how to sell it to your clients)

It can be done and, like all nail services, it depends on the nail surface and how to make it right for Minx

What a ridiculous thing to say!!! It has nothing to do with us not being confident or not knowing how to sell it. In the UK we have always had a much more classy, subtle approach to nails. Such flashy nails are not as popular here and never have been, so most people prefer to wear something like that on their feet where it is more subtle. Just like nail art is not as popular here, it doesn't mean that we can't do it!

I don't think its a ridiculous thing to say at all. I don't offer minx fingers on my treatment list and I am FAR less confident in doing fingers. I don't market it so my clients don't ask for it.

What a ridiculous thing to say!!! It has nothing to do with us not being confident or not knowing how to sell it. In the UK we have always had a much more classy, subtle approach to nails. Such flashy nails are not as popular here and never have been, so most people prefer to wear something like that on their feet where it is more subtle. Just like nail art is not as popular here, it doesn't mean that we can't do it!

She's not pointing the finger at everyone, she said 'some', so it's not so ridiculous. ESPECIALLY SINCE everyone's moaning about the same thing...
Mum is well versed in all areas of nails, and knows of what she speaks.

I have to say, with regards to "In the UK we have always had a much more classy, subtle approach to nails ", I find this particularly offensive.
Also, if it's not marketed to clients, then they won't want it.

Up until I started doing nails, the ONLY nail art in my town was fliks and rhinestones.
Low and behold, my ENTIRE clientel is made up of nail art lovers. I have only ONE (yes, just ONE) client that wears P&W's.
If it's not offered and not available, then of course, it's not popular. Not hard to figure out why.

I don't think its a ridiculous thing to say at all. I don't offer minx fingers on my treatment list and I am FAR less confident in doing fingers. I don't market it so my clients don't ask for it.

That would sum it up. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, we can't be perfect at everything. I'm not a fan of feet, therefor not so great at them. If it's not offered to clients, then they won't want it.

Latest posts

Back