It is becoming common practice again and it needs to stop

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Susie H

Reaction score
Hello to all.
I have put this here, rather then in chit chat because this is a business issue.
If you want to be taken seriously in business then you need to come across as a professional person.
This site is accessed by professionals from all over the world as well as members of the public.
Text language belongs on your mobile phone, not on here.
Not because I am a snob, or old fashioned, but because very often the person who can help you with your problem is not using English as their first language and they won't be bothered to read about your problem if you can't be bothered to make it intelligible.
Also because as I have already said, this is an open site, customers do come here and first impressions do count.
I'm not talking about the odd spelling mistake, we all do that:smack:
I'm talking about this:
hi im a nail tech i ave a prob im not gonna ...............
I am not trying to make anyone feel inadequate about their education, I left school at 16 with no qualifications, but I make the effort to write clearly.
Someone looking for a nail tech is going to have more faith in your professionalism if, what they read is well written and with care.
You wouldn't greet your client in your scruffy do the gardening clothes and slippers would you?
The written word has the same impact.
I ask that no one takes this as a personal attack, just please take it on board and try to write in such a way that everyone will understand.:hug:

Hi Susie

I know what you mean !!! It has its place but if you want your query to be understood at least use good basic english !!!

However I also find that some of the geeks use short hand eg NNO, L&P, P&W !!! Now I worked out NNO Natrual Nail Overlay, L&P Liquid and Powder but I have not got a clue what P&W is...............I have been to nervous to ask just in case it should be obvious !!! I sometimes feel like I should be on countdown !!!!

I understand what your saying it might not be that they don't have the qualifications etc.

Just i know from personal experience you just type shorthand on a computer!

but i agree the shorthand l&p, nno and thing's like that just confused me,lol..

I know what you mean too, I also think it is ALWAYS worth writing or in this case typing in a correct format, just so you don't become lazy in this lazy kind of world.

I'm the worst at spelling but I always try and get my grammer right if I can.

Another thing that gets me down and I 'cringe' at is when I go to my local hairdressers and they all talk in a slang accent and language - now I come from the Black Country (Dudley to be precise) and I'm no snob but I was brought up quite strict by my mother not to take on the native tongue (hehe) so I always speak correctly in the right company and then lapse a bit within family and close friends circuit.

What I am also trying to get across is that no matter whether your writing it or speaking it - in the business situation it should always be correct!

Oh and another thing, can I have a little moan about salons that have taken on the common 'Z' at the end of words - hence NAILZ Studio - I personally think this is such a common type of spelling that it just screams CHEAP to me - but that's my opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone here if there is someone with that type of spelling salon :confused:

P&W mean Pink & White :0) :)

However I also find that some of the geeks use short hand eg NNO, L&P, P&W !!! Now I worked out NNO Natrual Nail Overlay, L&P Liquid and Powder but I have not got a clue what P&W is...............I have been to nervous to ask just in case it should be obvious !!! !
I feel the above shortforms are acceptable because they are commonly used in the nail industry (not text talk) and we're all better off for knowing their meaning as we will likely encounter them outside of Salon Geek. New geeks often ask- don't be embarrassed. We have all been there:)
Posted via Mobile Device

I feel the above shortforms are acceptable because they are commonly used in the nail industry (not text talk) and we're all better off for knowing their meaning as we will likely encounter them outside of Salon Geek. New geeks often ask- don't be embarrassed. We have all been there:)
Posted via Mobile Device

Totally agree with this I can't stand text talk on mobiles let alone here:lol:

Totally agree with this I can't stand text talk on mobiles let alone here:lol:

I thought I was the only person not using slang in my text messages!
Love your website Stephen :green:

Susie, like yourself I left school (many moons ago), with very little in the
way of qualifications, but I always do my best to check my spelling.

In defence of some, when my children were at school (in the 90`s), we, (parents) picked up on bad spelling in some work at parents evening to be told by the teacher, "we don`t correct them anymore". Shocking, but true.

I would never use slang in my treatment list!
So why is it being done on here where the public CAN see.

We are professionals, offering a professional service :hug:

All the abbreviations we use are in this Article from the Articles section of the site.....
http://www.salongeek.com/misc-articles/35663-message-board-lingo.html

Regarding text talk....I am like Stevie I never use it even in texts, and I must admit if I see it on here I just disregard the post.

One of the things I love most about this site is the fact we have participants from all over the world.
I am always amazed at the wonderful and technical advice given from our many members for whom English is not even their 1st language.

Surely it is just common courtesy that we use proper English on here to keep these valuable members able to understand what we are asking, and we can all benefit from their experience and advice.

Even thow i think i speak and write fairly good English, it is not my native language, and you're right. That kind of writing does make it harder for me to understand and usually puts me off helping...
I also do not like slang on text messages, with easy writing on your cells it isn't all that hard to properly write something is it?
About acronyms, i've goten used to them, and they do save time...
I wish GMG (Grand Master Geek) would put up a section of acronym definitions.

Even thow i think i speak and write fairly good English, it is not my native language, and you're right. That kind of writing does make it harder for me to understand and usually puts me off helping...
I also do not like slang on text messages, with easy writing on your cells it isn't all that hard to properly write something is it?
About acronyms, i've goten used to them, and they do save time...
I wish GMG (Grand Master Geek) would put up a section of acronym definitions.

Maybe he will but he is a busy guy, we could always do a tutorial

I'm not quite sure, but i think a while back we had direct links, what meant the if someone wote NSS it would apear linked to the definition of Non Standart Salons. That would be great to have, because newbies sometimes do not realise there is a section to search these things.

I'm not quite sure, but i think a while back we had direct links, what meant the if someone wote NSS it would apear linked to the definition of Non Standart Salons. That would be great to have, because newbies sometimes do not realise there is a section to search these things.
You have been here a lot longer than me so I don't know but that would be great

Hi

I've noticed myself writing in txt form and not even realising then i go back and change it. But it is a bad habbit. I don't even like doing it when i txt but if i can get away with sending one message rather than 2 i'll go through it and change some things like to - 2 and before - b4.

I also find that since having my daughter i'm quite bad, not on this site but others. If i'm feeding my daughter i'm normally typing one handed and balancing the bottle in the other so i do tend to shorten things just for quickness.

Hi
I agree totally!
I have been on this site for about 4 yrs now and must say that I disregard posts that are written in short form.
And thanks for writing this post , I have thoght about it many times since Swedish is my 1st language!

Susie all I have to say is 'Hear, Hear!!!!'

Thanks Guys I just knew P&W was going to be obvious..............and I now know what NSS is lol.... right going to look for the abbreviations thingy !!!

Bad spelling can be overlooked - however writing like you are too lazy to finish the sentence or spell the word is actually plain rude in my opinion, it ends up being a guessing game as to the exact meaning of the abbreviated word - we could say that it may be through lack of education but I dont believe so, what about patience for people who are older or those who never used this type of text language before? These guys (me included) will skip over that reply or not respond to the question I fear - which is a pity as the idea is to be inclusive not exclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back