Its All I Can Afford - I know It's Not The Best

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLAMOUR BEAUTY

Reaction score
I Probably Will Upset Lots But Again I Think I Will Have The Backing Of A Lot Of Good Therapists Out There Too.

Would You Go To The Doctors And Find It Strange That He Said I Can Give You Some Tablets, They Are Ok, May Not Do The Job, But It Is All I Can Afford Till I Get More Patients

Again If You Went To A Coffee Lounge And The Waitress Told You Its Only Basic Buts It Is Ok

You Went To The Chiropodist And They Used Bottom Of The Range Training Products But Charged You Top Prices

When Setting Out In Business Why Do So Many People Fit There Salons Out Beautifully, Have Best Quality Towels, Hot Towel Cabs And When It Comes To Skincare And Other Products Let Themselves Down.

I Would Think Skincare Is The First And Most Important Job Followed By All The Other Products.

If You Belive In The Products Ok, But I Hear So Often I Do Not Like Them And Its All I Can Afford. Do You Like The £6000 Nail Machine I Have Just Bought.....

Sorry I Had To Mention This

No Xmas Cards For Me This Year Then...

Charging £50 Plus For A Wholesale Brand - Omg

Sorry I haven't read it all yet but had to ask . . .

why a capital letter at the start of every word? It takes much longer to read somehow. Sorry if you have something wrong with your puter :)

I know where you're coming from! My old place had matrix hair products, dermalogica skin, phd waxing.....and cheap mix of gels/salon systems mani,pedi & nails!

Sorry I haven't read it all yet but had to ask . . .

why a capital letter at the start of every word? It takes much longer to read somehow. Sorry if you have something wrong with your puter :)

Sorry I never noticed - I must be simple

Sorry I never noticed - I must be simple

you're not simple hun! it's just a habit - the same way my signiture is always in lower case letters, my mum always types with the first letter of each word in caps too, dont worry about it petal xx

I Probably Will Upset Lots But Again I Think I Will Have The Backing Of A Lot Of Good Therapists Out There Too.

Would You Go To The Doctors And Find It Strange That He Said I Can Give You Some Tablets, They Are Ok, May Not Do The Job, But It Is All I Can Afford Till I Get More Patients

Again If You Went To A Coffee Lounge And The Waitress Told You Its Only Basic Buts It Is Ok

You Went To The Chiropodist And They Used Bottom Of The Range Training Products But Charged You Top Prices

When Setting Out In Business Why Do So Many People Fit There Salons Out Beautifully, Have Best Quality Towels, Hot Towel Cabs And When It Comes To Skincare And Other Products Let Themselves Down.

I Would Think Skincare Is The First And Most Important Job Followed By All The Other Products.

If You Belive In The Products Ok, But I Hear So Often I Do Not Like Them And Its All I Can Afford. Do You Like The £6000 Nail Machine I Have Just Bought.....

Sorry I Had To Mention This

No Xmas Cards For Me This Year Then...

Charging £50 Plus For A Wholesale Brand - Omg

I am in complete agreement (no Xmas cards for me either) and find find it mind blowing! What I also CAN NOT understand, is people who call me and say 'Hi I'm opening up a salon in 2 weeks and it all this and that. I want your products so what training is required?"

wouldn't you think training would be paramount before floor coverings and curtains??? :mad::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I totally agree with GLAMOUR BEAUTY as well.

As has been discussed many times on here ( & other forums) some companies do have low start up costs. Being a fellow fan of Algologie I know that they are very good with their prices & are very flexible in how much (or little) you take on.

It does make me chuckle that some therapists want to run a professional business and 'make do' until they get busier. I think that you need to start off as you mean to go. If you start off using the cheap & cheerful, it's harder to grow your business to the level you want it at.

If you're on a budget it's probably better to cut back elsewhere where the client isn't aware of it.

No Birthday Cards No Either...

Training Is The Upmost Of Importance In This Trade

People Call Up Asking "i Am Opening Tomorrow The Salon Is All Fitted Out But Has Took All Mt Budjet.

Can You Imagine The Doctors Having A Refit In Designer Fiittings And Then You Going For A Test And Then Have To Use Budget Instruments And Products.

Sorry The Numbing Cream We Have Used May Not Numb The Pain, Its All We Can Afford...

We Do Not Sterilize Our Tools As We Could Not Afford The Costs Yet But Would You Like A Coffee From The £10,000 Machine It Sprinkles Choc On Top

I agree to that salons should buy the best range they possibly can as they will actually be saving money in the long run !

When I first became self employed i had ahava as it was the 'best' i could afford, looking back god alone knows why i bought it as now i wouldn't even use it wash the floor never mind my face. The funny thing is at the time my clients said they loved it and when i changed admitted they weren't that impressed at all ! I had to chuck most of the salon stuff when i changed to academie and sell the retail at 99p on ebay !

What really annoys me is when I see some salons and mobile therapists using a really cheap brand and its costing them pence to do facials yet they are charging the same price as salons with premier ranges !!! Why ?!

We Do Not Sterilize Our Tools As We Could Not Afford The Costs Yet But Would You Like A Coffee From The £10,000 Machine It Sprinkles Choc On Top

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm so glad to see this thread, I agree wholeheartedly!!

I started my business on a shoestring budget. BUT - my products are all top quality (CND), I've just had to start with a limited range thats all and build it up gradually. Training is and always has been at the top of my list. I qualified and did skill building before I began looking for premises.

I have big plans and ideas for my salon, but I'm doing it by keeping my feet on the ground. I'm building up gradually, I have a business advisor, and I know I'm not going to do it all overnight. Oh, and I dont have fancy coffee machines or other fancy equipment - all my spare cash goes on nice products and enamels!!

I agree to that salons should buy the best range they possibly can as they will actually be saving money in the long run !

When I first became self employed i had ahava as it was the 'best' i could afford, looking back god alone knows why i bought it as now i wouldn't even use it wash the floor never mind my face. The funny thing is at the time my clients said they loved it and when i changed admitted they weren't that impressed at all ! I had to chuck most of the salon stuff when i changed to academie and sell the retail at 99p on ebay !

What really annoys me is when I see some salons and mobile therapists using a really cheap brand and its costing them pence to do facials yet they are charging the same price as salons with premier ranges !!! Why ?!

I'm surprised at that. I saw them at Excel & thought they seemed ok. I thought Ahava though are classed as a 'proper' brand. Their start up costs certainly aren't cheap.

The proof of the pudding is in the product....and NOT the decor.....so yes i agree wholeheartedly with this thread.

You do have to spend money to make money.....if a clent came for a treatment i am sure they need to see a level of result....a salon strength formula can and only will do this....a cheap and cheerful range will not....

What a good thread this is....:)

I'm so glad to see this thread, I agree wholeheartedly!!

I started my business on a shoestring budget. BUT - my products are all top quality (CND), I've just had to start with a limited range thats all and build it up gradually. Training is and always has been at the top of my list. I qualified and did skill building before I began looking for premises.

I have big plans and ideas for my salon, but I'm doing it by keeping my feet on the ground. I'm building up gradually, I have a business advisor, and I know I'm not going to do it all overnight. Oh, and I dont have fancy coffee machines or other fancy equipment - all my spare cash goes on nice products and enamels!!

STARTING ON A BUDJET IS PROBABLY WHAT WE ALL DID, BUT IT IS HOW WE MANAGE OUR PURSE WHEN STARTING OUT.

FORGET THE £10,000 COFFEE MAKER AND THE GOLD PLATED LEAFLET RACK TO MATCH TO BLINDS.

LIMIT YOUR RANGE - ALL GOOD SUPPLIERS WILL CONDENSE A SMALL RANGE FOR YOU TO SET UP WITH. GOOD PRODUCTS ARE ESSENTIAL AS WELL AS PRODUCT TRAINING.

BE HONEST - WOULD YOU GO INTO A SALON A HAVE A FACIAL USING A BUDGET BRAND ? AND THEN EXPECT TO PAY £50.00?

WOULD YOU EXPECT TO HAVE A SET OF NAILS WITH SOMEONE WHO USES KOREAN PRODUCTS. AND PAY TOP DOLLAR (IF THEY STAY ON MORE THEN A WEEK YOU WILL BE LUCKY)

YOU REPUTATION IS IMPORTANT - USING BUDGET BRANDS REFLECTS YOU REP.

SORRY IN ADVANCE IF I UPSET ANYONE

STARTING ON A BUDJET IS PROBABLY WHAT WE ALL DID, BUT IT IS HOW WE MANAGE OUR PURSE WHEN STARTING OUT.

FORGET THE £10,000 COFFEE MAKER AND THE GOLD PLATED LEAFLET RACK TO MATCH TO BLINDS.

LIMIT YOUR RANGE - ALL GOOD SUPPLIERS WILL CONDENSE A SMALL RANGE FOR YOU TO SET UP WITH. GOOD PRODUCTS ARE ESSENTIAL AS WELL AS PRODUCT TRAINING.

BE HONEST - WOULD YOU GO INTO A SALON A HAVE A FACIAL USING A BUDGET BRAND ? AND THEN EXPECT TO PAY £50.00?

WOULD YOU EXPECT TO HAVE A SET OF NAILS WITH SOMEONE WHO USES KOREAN PRODUCTS. AND PAY TOP DOLLAR (IF THEY STAY ON MORE THEN A WEEK YOU WILL BE LUCKY)

YOU REPUTATION IS IMPORTANT - USING BUDGET BRANDS REFLECTS YOU REP.

SORRY IN ADVANCE IF I UPSET ANYONE

Haven't upset me at all anyway, I would love to have a salon or indeed all the fancy extras that apparently make me look good!

In truth, what really makes me look good is the use of high end products and of course the end result on people's fingers and toes, after all the longevitey of peoples enhancements and the look of them is what matters, their hands and feet carry my reputation.

I am continually training and striving for the best, that coffee machine can wait :lol:

Cracking thread :)

Thank God I Have Not Upset Anyone Yet- But There Is Time ...

This Also Applies To Mobile Therapists, There Is No Need For Doir Or Gucci Travel Cases For The Budjet Products Clients Are Not Looking At Bags Or Even The Lovely Bright Red Ferrari (we All Want)

Stick To Your Quality Products

I have to agree too. My decor is nothing special, but I never skimp on products.

Another thing I don't get is when people say they are opening a salon is a couple of weeks, what product should they get?

I researched skincare ranges for about 12 months. I got info packs and samples from soooo many different companies before I finally decided on a range (then I had to pay for it in installments) .

I have to agree too. My decor is nothing special, but I never skimp on products.

Another thing I don't get is when people say they are opening a salon is a couple of weeks, what product should they get?

I researched skincare ranges for about 12 months. I got info packs and samples from soooo many different companies before I finally decided on a range (then I had to pay for it in installments) .

YES research your products carefully, get samples or ask the company to demo the nail products/facial.

As long as your salon is 100% clean and your tools 100% sanitized the designer decor can come later

If you 100% confident that you have the right products, retail will come easy too, as you will believe in what you sell. Would would sell your client something you would not cleanse your hands with never mind your face.

Would you have a selection of nail products half used like no 7, lauder, collection 2000 and use them on yourself - no retail would be impossible too

No - be honest, you would not.

Your client deserves the best, as we all want to keep clients for years.
They may have come to you for a while but they only have to try another salon once when you are away/sick ect and they could stay there forever.

The only problem with having high end products is you have to charge high end prices and not everyone can afford to pay £40 plus for a facial.
Not everyones always worried about results with certain treatments, they just like the experience.

Latest posts

Back