Keeping nail kit in car?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmaLF

Reaction score
Im a mobile nail tech/beauty therapist and up until now I've been keeping my kit in my car, I alternate between living in two different towns during the week so its easier for me to keep it there so I don't end up having someone call me looking for an appointment when I'm in town #2 when I left my kit in town #1. Sounds confusing I know. I'm just afraid that keeping it in the car overnight with changing weather will damage the products? I keep it all in my Roo Beauty Imperial Tool Bag so its not in direct sunlight etc but it gets hot and cold in the car so would it damage the gel and gel polishes?

Im a mobile nail tech/beauty therapist and up until now I've been keeping my kit in my car, I alternate between living in two different towns during the week so its easier for me to keep it there so I don't end up having someone call me looking for an appointment when I'm in town #2 when I left my kit in town #1. Sounds confusing I know. I'm just afraid that keeping it in the car overnight with changing weather will damage the products? I keep it all in my Roo Beauty Imperial Tool Bag so its not in direct sunlight etc but it gets hot and cold in the car so would it damage the gel and gel polishes?
Hi emma. I was taught not to keep kits in the car in the summer if it gets to hot its a fire hazard as most products are flammable and in the winter if your products freeze or get to cold the products will be affected and won't work! Hope that helps xx

Never keep your kit in your car. Fumes escape your products which can build up to dangerous levels. If you smoke you are running the risk of driving around a ticking time bomb all it takes is for the fumes to be ignited by a spark or your cigarette and its bye bye. I'm not being dramatic, there was a 21 year old I think hairdresser who did just that and she sadly lost her life. Even if you don't smoke there can be sparks from the car, the engine radio etc, or even just get that flashpoint from the extreme temperatures from the sun. Plus your products will not cope with the extreme temperatures they will be exposed too rendering them useless and lead to service breakdown etc. Or they could get stolen. I seriously wouldn't risk it, is your life worth it?

Hi I'm a hairdresser I keep my kit in my car I have a few bottles of peroxide tubes of colour and a straightening kit does this affect me as well? I leave it in my boot it's so much easier as I'm at college and salon every other day so can't be bothered to drag it out into my house of an evening and back in the boot in the morning lol xx

I think if you're keeping reactive products in your car constantly, you need to think about how they are going to change in extreme temperatures. I personally wouldn't want acetone to overheat in my car boot for example.

I think most products need to kept at a stable temperature and that can't be guaranteed in a car.

Hi I'm a hairdresser I keep my kit in my car I have a few bottles of peroxide tubes of colour and a straightening kit does this affect me as well? I leave it in my boot it's so much easier as I'm at college and salon every other day so can't be bothered to drag it out into my house of an evening and back in the boot in the morning lol xx

It was a leaking bottle of peroxide that is thought to gave caused the explosion that killed a young hairdresser. Don't keep your kit in your car. Stay safe.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/mar/25/peroxide-leak-hairdresser-car-death

I'll definitely take it out of the car thank you all!

I had mine in my car for a long time when I worked mobile, the car stank but like you, I didn't want the farse of not having the kit on me for last minute bookings.

I do suffer pretty bad headaches, it often makes me wonder whether this (or just nails in general) has caused me them.

Definitely take them out.

Latest posts

Back