Lady thats blind.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillian w

Reaction score
I have a lady that is blind coming to me to have some enhancements done for her wedding.
I have never had any experience with blind people at all.It has actually started to worry me a bit,silly i know but i'm thinking what if i say the wrong things,you know when you say things like did you see such and such a programme etc also how much do i offer to help,i know with being the age i am i should know better but just some advice please,or tips.
I will be doing gel.

The only thing I can suggest is just be yourself.

I do know what you mean as I am tripping up all the time with my step brother who is blind. He has been blind all his life so makes me feel at ease everytime I do stay something I think may cause offence, just to let you know that it never does.

I would offer the usual kind of help, over steps,showing where the taps are for washing, say things like the chair is just in front of you, I'll put your bag next to your feet, maybe even offer your arm to guide her to where she is going to sit.

She may well of had her nails done a million times before and is a dab hand at all this, you'll be fine!!

If she is having gel you could say where the lamp is situated to the right or left.

HTH Teri x:hug:

I have a bling lady as a manicure client, I guide her to her seat, to the basin to wash her hands etc etc. My client could see once so has a slight re-collection of colours, so she knows what she likes and sticks to it.

Also for her card, I filled it in for her and her husband signs for her treatment.

I have a bling lady as a manicure client, I guide her to her seat, to the basin to wash her hands etc etc. My client could see once so has a slight re-collection of colours, so she knows what she likes and sticks to it.

Also for her card, I filled it in for her and her husband signs for her treatment.

oh yes her card didn't think of that one.

Oh Huni, dont worry, she has lost her eye sight not her use of speach and probably has a wicked sense of humour.... you will be fine...
Guide her to her chair, make sure she is comfy, go through the client consultation with her, if she has someone with her get them to varify all the details and if need be sign on her behalf. If not state on the bottom that this client is visualy impared and get her to sign if she can, it doesn't matter if her signature isn't on the dotted line......
Maybe she will be collected after the service and they could sign the record card. Play it by ear babe
Just give her a fab set of nails and make her day xxxx

HTH

Why not talk to her about her wedding, where she met her partner, what was it that made her fall in love with him, are they having many guest, where are they going on honeymoon. All general stuff but will make her feel special and that you are interested in her.

You have had some brill advise here from all,
and im sure you will be just fine,
be yourself and try not to worry about it too much, i bet after 10 mins or so you will forget that she is blind and just relate to her like you would any other client
and ruth is right she probably has a great sence of humour so watch out for the jokes lol

It might be helpful to gently guide her hand into the uv light. I sometimes do this with my clients anyhow as they get talking and forget to get that gel under the light!

Even though some people are considered to be "blind", they still might have some ability to see shadows, lights etc. There are different levels or degrees of blindness.

Just be yourself and make her feel welcome and pampered as you would any other client.

Hi ya hun

dont panic they used to did you the did you see scenerio ive got a friend who is blind and i always forget she cant see and when i took her to the hair dressers once and guided her to her chair and just walked off forgetting she didnt know where she was
she laughs about it but also respects me that i dont see her as disabled even though she clearly is

They have very good hearing and can hear a pin drop
good luck with it im sure you will do a fantastic job

id be the same as you gillian, nervous incase i said the wrong thing, just be yourself try not to worry too much, and as joe90 said previously if you don't want to 'put your foot in it' the wedding is a good conversation topic - as with any bride!! xx

Good luck Gillian lots of good advice said here but just wanted to add - maybe run through your routine before applying any products so she can remember and get the feel before you start. ie put her hands in the right places that you will want them and put them in the lamp and out before any treatment (so not to damage gel later trying to put her hand in if you know what I mean) HTH's

(dont ask if it was love at first sight tho)

Thanks everyone..some really good advice.

if i have a client im not sure how to handle, i tend to ask questions! I think people prefer to be asked than you just bein a div with them! lol.

I have one deaf client, and i still talk to her lol.

I just want to add, don't worry about saying the wrong thing like 'did you see that programme...' Chances are she's used to it and won't even notice. And just because she's blind doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't have a TV! I have a friend who is blind and he has the TV on and just listens it, he says he gets most of what goes on.

I have never had any experience with blind people at all.It has actually started to worry me a bit,silly i know but i'm thinking what if i say the wrong things,you know when you say things like did you see such and such a programme
Gillian, saying the wrong thing is soooo easy to do but don't worry about it. I'm sure she has had peeps say accidental silly things to her before and she probably knows how to handle it well.

Let me tell you this story which amuses me now, but at the time, I couldn't have found a deep enough hole in which to hide. My comment was not intentional. It just came out!

We were on holiday in Lanzarote several years ago. My eldest daughter was 8yrs old at the time and made friends with girl who had Downs Syndrome. When the parents came over to say goodbye to us (as they were returning to UK) we got chatting. I don't even remember what we were chatting about, but I was describing something crazy which had happened and told them that 'I went absolutely spastic'!!!! :o

They probably never even noticed, but I wanted to run and hide!

The worse thing is that when you put pressure on yourself to not say something you always do.

The worse thing is that when you put pressure on yourself to not say something you always do.

So the best thing to do is not worry about it. If it happens, it happens. At least she won't be able to see you blushing! :)

Latest posts

Back