Last minute spray tans

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulesC

Reaction score
What do you do when you have the opportunity to do a last minute spray tan? I'm mobile so i don't have 'walk ins' or anything like that, but i have been contacted to do a tan on the same day. I managed to persuade this client to have the tan a day later (I'm a real stickler & i request my clients follow all the pre-tan advice I offer), but i know this won't always be possible. I don't want to turn away business but still want my clients skin to be fully prepared for their tan.
I know there are exfoliating wipes around - are these what you use???

Personally if I'm available then I will take the booking. Im still activrly trying to build my client base so not in a position to be choosy. I always refer the client to my website for prep advice, if they ignore my advise it's upto them. I find that most clients that book in last minute have had tans before so come exfoliated and ready to be tanned. If clients turn up with deodorant etc then I do have prep spray available if necessary. I have found that I have gained some very loyal clients by being flexible for them. It is def worth doing even if it is a nightmare to organize kids etc!

As long as they are not covered in moisturizer etc the tan should still turn out fine. I always explain why they need to prep before hand and what may happen if advice hasn't been followed.

Do you not do patch tests then? I never do a tan without a test first xx

Do you not do patch tests then? I never do a tan without a test first xx

As i'm mobile, it wouldn't be very cost-efffective for me to travel to do patch tests 24-48 hrs before the tan. I do the patch test as soon as i arrive to give me 10 mins or so while i set up and complete consultation cards in the hope that a severe reaction will show within that time x

Personally if I'm available then I will take the booking. Im still activrly trying to build my client base so not in a position to be choosy. I always refer the client to my website for prep advice, if they ignore my advise it's upto them. I find that most clients that book in last minute have had tans before so come exfoliated and ready to be tanned. If clients turn up with deodorant etc then I do have prep spray available if necessary. I have found that I have gained some very loyal clients by being flexible for them. It is def worth doing even if it is a nightmare to organize kids etc!

As long as they are not covered in moisturizer etc the tan should still turn out fine. I always explain why they need to prep before hand and what may happen if advice hasn't been followed.

Whats the prep spray? x

As i'm mobile, it wouldn't be very cost-efffective for me to travel to do patch tests 24-48 hrs before the tan. I do the patch test as soon as i arrive to give me 10 mins or so while i set up and complete consultation cards in the hope that a severe reaction will show within that time x

Hi there Jules, I think you must work out a way of getting patch tests done, even if it is only on people that have never used self tan products before. I know it is difficult when mobile and various posts have been about on this subject, there is no answer really but as you are still building up a regular client base and have not been tanning for a very long time I think you should get patch tests done. I am pretty sure that your insurance would be invalid if you had a claim for allergic reaction or something similar. An unexpected claim for "pain, Suffering,Disfigurement, not being able to go to the jobcentre due to depression from tan gone wrong, break up of mariage coz hubby hates scabs, etc etc":) can be a huge financial burden. Please try to cover all avenues. You seem to be doing really well and you dont want to end up owing money till you die. iykwim

Good luck lovey, by the way I would probably do the last minute tan if they have spray tanned before or used DHA products without any reaction.

Ring your insurer to check and also your sray tan solution supplier. Some insurances cover if you follow manufacturers reccommendations and some state their own requirements.

i have never patch tested for spray tans. wasn't taught too.

i do patch test for tinting though.

i have never patch tested for spray tans. wasn't taught too.

i do patch test for tinting though.

Well, once again I would recommend calling your insurer because you should patch test for spray tans. If you were not taught to it may have been a while back before the EU came and changed health and safety issues or your training provider "forgot" to tell you that it is actually quite important.

I was not taught to patch test either but I trained in the 80's and also abroad and things have changed since then I periodically ( every 4 to 5 years) do a course just to make sure that I keep abreast of what is happening in the education side of things and current requirements for the industry. My most recent course was in December 2011 soknow for a fact that as of today it is a requirement.

Wrong - not all insurers ask that you patch test - mine certainly doesn't and I specifically called them to ask as I wasn't sure. So long as you follow your pre tan checks and ANY contra-indication that warrants it means you do a patch test. Certainly you should check with your insurer but they may not require you to.

We use exfoliating wipes, one side exfoliates the skin, and the other side pH balances the skin after exfoliation.
Always recommend a patch test as well, the client may not even know what they are allergic too.

Me neither told to do patch test and my course was this year - they only advised if a client was extremely sensitive or had an allergy to fake tans before NOT before every client.

I wasn't told I had to either and mine was in may!! Xxx

Wrong - not all insurers ask that you patch test - mine certainly doesn't and I specifically called them to ask as I wasn't sure. So long as you follow your pre tan checks and ANY contra-indication that warrants it means you do a patch test. Certainly you should check with your insurer but they may not require you to.

Agree with Tinxy, I train for Nouvatan and we don't patch test unless the client suffers from a skin condition in which case we would, of course, do a patch test.

We use exfoliating wipes, one side exfoliates the skin, and the other side pH balances the skin after exfoliation.
Always recommend a patch test as well, the client may not even know what they are allergic too.

Do you use a particular brand of exfoliating wipes? x

I don't patch test either, only if requested. (note on my website to say patch testing is free upon request) no one has asked.

My insurance doesn't require patch testing either.

As for last minute tans jules, I don't have them as in last minute being the same day, my last minute bookings are usually getting a booking the day before they require appointment, which gives me time to tell them what prep to do.

May be handy to get some exfoliating wipes in, sunjunkie sell them I've seen. it cleanses skin, lifts oils & gently exfoliates the skin leaving a clean prepped skin ready to be tanned, you could get your client to wipe theirself thoroughly with one whilst your setting up...

Although think of it like this your mobile so even if you do get same day appointments your not likely going to get anyone ringing up asking for a tan in 5 minutes are you, so when they do ring even if they haven't had chance to exfoliate / shave they will of had time to make sure they have had a quick shower / bath & have no products on skin, & then you can use an exfoliant wipe when you arrive for extra measure.

HTH x

Please don't lynch me, I have never patch tested for a tan. I do a consultation where I ask if they have ever had a reaction to ANY cosmetic product before, if they say no I do the tan. We are reaching a point bordering on paranoia in or industry :sad:

I'm so glad to read these last 2 comments I've not done a patch test before unless the client is allergic to anything. No one has ever asked me either. I'm just setting up my website as I speak talking about what I do when I arrive ect.

Whats the prep spray? x

It came with my kit from LA Tan. Its a spray that removes any product or residues on the skin that may cause a barrier. I rarely have to use it but it works a treat when clients come in with deoderant on. I spray it on to couch roll and get client to wipe area. Its only approx £10 per bottle i think.

In terms of patch testing check with your insurer. I am not required to patch test for spray tans. Like Lush Lash I offer patch testing to all clients and patch test clients when appropriate HTH

Agree with Tinxy, I train for Nouvatan and we don't patch test unless the client suffers from a skin condition in which case we would, of course, do a patch test.

Strangely enough I rang Nouvatan yesterday and spoke to the training department asking this very question and was told that they do recommend Patch tests and it is included in their training courses so I am not sure what is going on now. LOL

It seems to be a very hit and miss thing and I am really surprised at how many people have not been made aware or taught that it really is a requirement. Solutions contain a variety of products,including Aloe Vera and DHA, just because they are not allergic to these, they may be allergic to any of the other ingredients like dyes or fragrances etc. Hence the need for the tests. We are fortunate that there are not many incidences of a severe reaction but it wont be long before insurers get wise to this little loophole and start clamping down.

If we get into the habit of doing the tests now we arent going to be caught out at a later date. I also wonder how the technicians that insist on patch tests feel knowing that there are so many out there that dont bother. We are certainly not all on the same page here and it would be good if there was more conformity within the industry.

and by the way... My Insurer requires Patch tests. I may have to shop around when renewal is due:wink2:

Last edited:
It came with my kit from LA Tan. Its a spray that removes any product or residues on the skin that may cause a barrier. I rarely have to use it but it works a treat when clients come in with deoderant on. I spray it on to couch roll and get client to wipe area. Its only approx £10 per bottle i think.

In terms of patch testing check with your insurer. I am not required to patch test for spray tans. Like Lush Lash I offer patch testing to all clients and patch test clients when appropriate HTH

Hi, I've never used prep spray before but am interested in getting some. Was interested to read your post as I always thought the prep spray was sprayed directly in to the skin. Is that wrong or does it not matter?!

Latest posts

Back