Learning to do gel nails - best products - canada

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katkat2008

Reaction score
Okay...so, I have decided that I am going to learn how to do gel nails. It is the only thing I have not taken training for as I have a nail tech who does a great job and never thought it was necessary. BUT I want to learn now :) I am nervous, because I feel that it is a HUGE thing to be able to do a great set of nails - and I dont want to suck lol - but seriously, I want to be a great nail tech.

So, I have been reading up on here before I begin my course next month to see what people say. I just finished reading the post about people posting on here and posting "unsafe" instructions. Great, just what us newbies need - ugh, like it isnt hard enough!

I am going to be taking the star nail course (Canada). I am wondering what other fellow canadians use? My tech does LCN, but that course isnt being taught around me for another few months.

Not sure where you are in Canada, but Anna Lajourdie (Anna in Toronto) uses Akzentz gels (which I LOVE!) and is a truly amazing teacher...

If you can make it to Mississauga (near Toronto) that would be the way to go!

hmmm, thanks, I havent even heard of those gels!

Like I said I have a nail tech here and never paid attention, except that she uses LCN.

Thank you :)

Like I said I have a nail tech here and never paid attention, except that she uses LCN.

Have a search for them here. Alot of geeks use it. While you're at it have a search for star nails.

Akzentz is a great gel. I also use Bio Sculpture and love them both. It's worth holding out to train with a product you love. Good luck with your course!

I use Star Nail, And I love it.

:hug:
I use Akzentz Gel, and just love it!!

Very easy to apply,
I tried Star, LCN, etc, but loved Akzentz as soon as I tried it, and haven't looked back!!

Sincerely;
Janet

I LOVE EZ Flow 'Gel It'.
Tried a few others.. didn't get on with them.
I'm LOVING Ez Flow.

Judy1999 is the person to ask around here, she knows her stuff re: EZ Flow if that's the direction you choose.
I don't know what availability it has in your area, you'd have to enquire.

hth's

I love Akzentz gels too....and training by Anna Lajourdie would most definitely be the way to go.

If you have a chance to be trained by Anna, I'm sure that would be the best route for you. She is an excellent technician.

darn...I am on the other side of the country!:cry:

We are the Canadian Distributor for the Gina Wallace Nail Tainer as well as a Nail and Esthetics supply wholesale.
here is something no one will tell you: there are only 4 manufactures of the chemicals used to make gels and acrylics 2 in the US, 1 in Germany, 1 in China, you can buy the brand names and the fancy packaging while paying for the big advertising bugets or you can make big $ by saving big on our products.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are near Calgary I recommend that you call Essence Salon & Spa Solutions as they are a distributor and training academy. The offer great classes, they carry NSI and INM, they also will supply you with samples if you are interested. Their toll free number is 1-877-893-4813 or email at [email protected]

The Supply Source...

I don't know the company... but a TONNE of the products seem to be Nailite products with different labels on them.

I actually like Nailite very much and have never been dissatisfied.

But personally, I would prefer to cut out the middle man and skip the gross mark-up.
I may be wrong, but I doubt it. I know the nailite products and site VERY VERY VERY well. Been their client for over 4yrs.
Even after paying shipping and customs & duties, I STILL wind up ahead of the game, saving money.

here is something no one will tell you: there are only 4 manufactures of the chemicals used to make gels and acrylics 2 in the US, 1 in Germany, 1 in China, you can buy the brand names and the fancy packaging while paying for the big advertising bugets or you can make big $ by saving big on our products. just check out our website...

That is one of the most unprofessional attempt to try and flog product I think I have read on here in a long time. As such, I have removed the references to your web site. Please read the site rules before participating.

Few manufacturers of the chemicals used in formulating products, doesn't mean that you can order up brand x or y sans the cost of proper formulation or that you can knock off brand x or y and just bypass the R&D. Some products may be like this to a degree (I think you represent one), but this is really no different than private labelling (i.e. having your salon name on a bottle of shampoo). This in no way infers that the bottle of shampoo with your name on it is anything like a professionally R&D, formulated and manufactured product.

nJoy

Last edited:
That is the daftest and weakest attempt to try and flog product I think I have read on here in the 5 years I have run this site. As such, I have removed the references to your web site. Please read the site rules before participating.

Few manufacturers of the chemicals used in formulating products, doesn't mean that you can order up brand x or y sans the formulations or that you can knock off brand x or y and just bypass the R&D. Some products may be like this to a degree (I think you represent one), but this is really no different than private labelling (i.e. having your salon name on a bottle of shampoo). This in no way infers that the bottle of shampoo with your name on it is anything like a professionally R&D, formulated and manufactured product. In fact, they are freaking miles apart.

nJoy

True. Take it from one who learned the truth.
Perhaps the hard way.
We live and learn eh?

darn...I am on the other side of the country!:cry:
Katkat,
where are you located?I can help you locate the best educators in Canada.

hi, i am in canada and i use gelousy gel and love it

We are the Canadian Distributor for the Gina Wallace Nail Tainer as well as a Nail and Esthetics supply wholesale.
here is something no one will tell you: there are only 4 manufactures of the chemicals used to make gels and acrylics 2 in the US, 1 in Germany, 1 in China, you can buy the brand names and the fancy packaging while paying for the big advertising bugets or you can make big $ by saving big on our products.

This is not true of Akzentz. It is made in Canada and they have their own chemists working for them.

This is also not true of En Vogue...also made in Canada. In fact, they are just down the road from Akzentz.

Get ALL your info straight before you try to confuse newbies.

I am in Canada and use enVogue. I was previously a diehard LCN fan and find the products very similar, but en Vogue is cheaper. They also offer an education class, so you would learn the proper steps to using their product. Their nail techs are very in demand here in B.C., hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back