Leaving the room during a facial.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all new clients I give them the choice. I only started doing it after I read some geeks on here said they preferred to be left alone whilst the mask is on. I have never had anyone take me up on it !!!

I also do the collagen facial and I do hand/arm massage and a scalp massage. For the last 5 minutes I sit quietly filling in the consultation card.

At college I remember we used to just sit twiddling our thumbs when the mask was on and its a shame and that so many salons let their therapists do this.

i use darphin skincare . we have a lovely welcome ritual with shiatsu pressure point massage on the face, then a hot towel treatment on the feet, hot towel treatment on the neck. then a bespoke facial, while the mask is on hand and arm massage, only then do i leave the room to get fresh water for the mask removal. i just slip out quietly and then back in after a couple of minutes. clients are usually asleep at that stage so don't even notice i've left the room.
i bring in very hot water with me at the beginning which has cooled sufficiently by the time the welcome ritual is over and the facial is about to begin.

I always give my clients the option of my staying with them, or leaving them to have a snooze.
Some say "Stay and let's have a chat". They mean it; talking is part of the treatment's benefits, for them. I'll offer them a hand and arm massage, but again they sometimes say "Oh, just have a chat with me"

I find that the majority, by a long way, actually like to be left to relax. To be honest it's what I prefer myself - as a client, I mean. It's for that reason I offer to leave, although it goes against the accepted protocol.

I always ask each time with regular clients...they may have different needs on different days.

However, I always stay for a good 5 minutes of the mask application time if it's a new client, or a different mask, to make sure that their skin is comfortable with the product.

To sum up, I try to fit the decision to the client's needs.

I only leave the room for about 5mins but again this is to get water and to have there sample envelope ready but im literally outside the door and they know that, i also do give them the option as ov course i can stay but most of my clients like to relax for 5 mins after there hand an arm massage but i wouldnt like to leave them for much longer incase they felt uncomfortable with the masque on or anything!!

I did my work experience in a salon where they all went for a cup of tea or a biscuit or to the staff room when they did facial masques and while they did a lash tint for 30mins!!!!!!!

In the salon I worked at years ago - we used to leave clients while a mask was on, or while we were lash tinting, but we were literally outside the door if they needed us.

We did it as the salon was really busy and we often had phone calls, or people arriving in to make appointments.

Anytime I had a facial there - I wanted to be left in peace as I never relax properly knowing someone else is in the room, so I guess it is an individual thing.

I love the idea of hand / arm massage as a wee extra though!

If your hands are too sore to do a massage for any length of time, why not offer a nail file, cuticle tidy, hand masque and put heated mitts onto their hands? That would take up a good chunk of your 30 minutes :)

Hi there I never leave my clients alone but that's just my personal choice and also I wonder if your insurance would cover you if they had a reaction and you were no where to be seen?

I offer hand or scalp massage whilst they have mask on then just sit quietly for the rest of the time, I know a girl that used to go for a quick fag whilst the mask was on!!!!

If I ever needed clean water and there wasn't a sink I used to boil the kettle and take it in and take 2 bowls with a bit of cold water in and just top up from the kettle when I needed it hth x

We give clients an option too...and
8/10 usually want to be left alone,others usually take up a file and polish as an option or a shoulder massage :) best to give them the option,we are a small salon but do get busy,so if we do leave the room,we tend to do something quietly but near the room so the client knows we haven't done a runner or anything lol...
Personally I would take up the option of a shoulder massage or foot massage or something,I love a good pamper :) xx

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

I personally would never leave a client alone and use massage to fill the time whether it is hand, foot or scalp. I agree that 30 minutes is a long time to fill though.

I only normally leave to get clean water, I had a collagen facial that had to be left on for 30 minutes and I used to do a mini full body on the front of the body scalp/arms/legs/feet. But obviously wouldn't be great for you at the moment, you could do a pressure point massage instead with some light massage mixed in maybe?! Xx

I think it's unprofessional and risky to leave your client alone for any length of time.
I give my client a hand massage, then I sit and fill out their record card, and then I catch up on reading or googling on my ipad in the corner, as quiet as can be for the remainder of the time.
If your client had an allergic reaction, or fainted, or fell off the bed how would you feel?
If you have to leave the room to get hot water you might want to consider buying one of these.
Buy Bosch Filtrino Fast Cup - Hot Filtered Water Dispenser at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Kettles.

You could take a flask and and an extra bowl. X

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

I'm sure that many years ago, our insurance didn't cover us if we left a client alone. I would never leave them.

Thanks Geeks,

I think it has been misunderstood looking like I want to leave them alone. I dont want to and dont like the idea of it, hence this post!

I struggle with massage and as I believe 30 minutes is a long time to have a mask on I was simply after alternative ideas to massage and for you to confirm what I already thought and that its not a good idea to leave them, I have been for several many myself and get left a lot of them time and personally it never used to bother me but now being a therapist it bothers me more as Im very aware there are toher things they could be doing.

I must say that in my opinion I wouldnt feel comfortable sat there on my ipad quiet or not though, do your clients seem to notice or mind you doing this Lynn? Hope you dont mind me asking? I always have to fill their cards in in between but this could save time I guess?

Thankyou for your replies :)

My clients don't even know that I'm on my iPad; they have their eyes closed, or covered with a collagen veil, and I'm very quiet! I use the iPad for making their appointments so they know I have it in the room anyway.

Ah I see! Thankyou for clearing that up! What do you tend to tell them you are doing?

I tell them I will write up their notes and that I will not be leaving the room, but I'll be sitting quietly in the corner if they need me. Some like to natter, some fall asleep, some just rest.

Good thinking thankyou :)

Latest posts

Back