Lemon In Hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wild

Reaction score
hi all
i read in a magazine yesterday that if you put lemon in red hair
its brings it out more
my daughter is a red head and i wanted to no if its true
thanks all

ive heard of using lemon to help lighten blondish or blond hair but never for this.
i wouldnt be suprised though so it will be interesting to know if it works and for what colour hair people have used it for.xx

i would try it but scared it will change the color of my daughter
hair

This isn't a professional hair thread :idea:

I have used lemon to highlight before, but i think it needs sunshine or warmth of the hairdryer. I would think this could highlight the red and bring it out more - wouldnt think that it can change the colour completely.

Why dont you do a strand test and use some lemon and the warmth of a hairdryer then you can see if the result is what you are after?

Otherwise if you key into google there is a whole lot of professional products that have been especially developed for that purpose - shampoos, mousses etc - you should be able to find what you are looking for?

Yes it works. I am a natural red head and have used this many times. Lightens the parts you leave the lemon juice in and leaves like lighter streaks. Really lovely. I don't use now as have dyed my hair the new dark red shade advertised on tv. By the way, if you don't mind me asking, "why do you want to change her hair colour"

Yes it works. I am a natural red head and have used this many times. Lightens the parts you leave the lemon juice in and leaves like lighter streaks. Really lovely. I don't use now as have dyed my hair the new dark red shade advertised on tv. By the way, if you don't mind me asking, "why do you want to change her hair colour"

She doesnt want to 'change' her daughters hair,she is asking if lemon juice would enhance it.

She doesnt want to 'change' her daughters hair,she is asking if lemon juice would enhance it.

I do apologize for wrong choice of word. I will re-phrase the question.
"Why do you want to enhance your daughters hair"

I think I have answered the question from my point of view. Lemon Juice lightened my hair therefore changing the colour. :)

Please remember everyone that this is a professional site and people will come on and read all this and take it as professional advice....

So this is NOT professoional advice just chitchat ...thank you.

I moved this to chit chat as it was not a professional topic...HTH x

NOT PROFESSIONAL ADVICE

My friend used to do this but the lemon juice was very drying and left her hair in worse condition. hth x

Lemon juice is not recommended by professionals, and as a professional, I wouldn't use it. The theory (watch out actual scientific content- the professional kind) about Lemon Juice. The pH of the Acid Mantle (oil/sweat mixture) that covers our hair, skin and nails is 4.5 to 5.5 the pH of a lemon is some where around 2. The lower (acidic) pH causes the cuticle or outer layer to swell allowing the heat to release or loosen some of the strong sulfer cross links which is where the majority of the melanin in hair is found. The heat causes a reaction that breaks the melanin down and causes a slight lightening action. This is where the damage comes in, if not rinsed and properly brought back to the correct pH, the hair will become dry, brittle and fragile.

Best advice, PROFESSIONALLY, go to a salon or use a color enhancing shampoo or conditioner that will add gloss, shine or a reflective color that gives a highlighted appearance. There are several professional brands available for this purpose.

yup it sure does

have u heard of Sun-In? its a lemon extract product...makes ur hair brown without coloring

yup it sure does

have u heard of Sun-In? its a lemon extract product...makes ur hair brown without coloring

have tried sun in and always think its an easy solution - you do get quick results, however I have always had the problem that I then had to cut it all off as it absolutely wrecks your hair!!!! It might be ok for short short but for anything longer I would advise a hairdresser if you want to keep your hair growing or even just at medium length....

I am a naturel red head, and I use ''Take it as red'' shampoo and conditioner by John Frieda, you can buy it in Superdrug, tesc, asda....it really works and it keeps my hair looking vibrant.:)

Latest posts

Back