Length of time to do a set of nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deejay

Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

I'm a newbie to this site and this is my first post! I've been doing NSI L/P nails for over 2yrs and gel for 1yr and my problem is the time it takes me to do a set of nails 2 - 3 hours:cry:. i'm not going slow or taking my time. Any suggestions on how to speed up would be greatly appreciated.

Deejay

POPITS.....!

Great for people who haven't got the time to be sat around for a couple of hours. I'm happy doing a set in 45 mins. I'm pretty sure they'll be a life saver around Christmas. Contact Sweet Squared for details.

The only thing that helped me speed up was to keep doing them.... and stop talking so much (talk to the hand cos the face ain't listening!)

Hi Guy's,

I'm a newbie to this site and this is my first post! I've been doing NSI L/P nails for over 2yrs and gel for 1yr and my problem is the time it takes me to do a set of nails 2 - 3 hours:cry:. i'm not going slow or taking my time. Any suggestions on how to speed up would be greatly appreciated.

Hiya :) there have been alot of threads on here about timings lately and i think that most people take around 1 1/2 - 2 hours but if you have the need to speed up you really should give popits a go :) just have a look through some older posts and you will fine loads out honey
Good luck :hug:

45 mins to do a set thats great...it takes me an hour to do prep, apply tip and blend it...

45 mins to do a set thats great...it takes me an hour to do prep, apply tip and blend it...

Creative do Performance Tips which are already pre-blended with minimal contact area. Perhaps you should get your hands on a tray of their tips?! They do them in white, clear and natural. No faffing about anymore.

Size it up and stick it on, it's as simple as that! (Maybe CND should buy that slogan off of me!)

Hey, my timings get to me , but do you know what I went to a client last night who had her nails done by somebody else and she wasnt happy with the service and the nails as she d lost four, and do you know this other tech done them in 45 minutes !!!! and charged £10 more than me.

She sat there last night commenting on how a perfectionist I was and what care that I took in my work .She was also saying things that this other nail tech didnt do ,I was trying to get round in my head why the tech hadnt done this n that , well to me she was cutting corners and no wonder she was knocking them out at 45 mins.

So now its made me realise, speed isnt everything, you maybe slow , your probly just a perfectionist just like me ah:lol:.

I use Performance tips too which helps,used to hate blending, I also use NSI glaze n go as a top coat instead of buffing the acrylic to a high shine.Ive just done popit training too, but still practising and hopefully will be spot on with it for the xmas rush.HTH.

Someone once told me to never say I was slow but that I was a perfectionist. That was back when it used to take a good 3 hours for a full set and at least 2 for an infil. After several years using Creative L&P I still take 1.5-2 hours - longer sometimes if they want something funky (am I the only one who enjoys nail art and embedding SO much that it seems wrong to charge for it???).

Making sure you are comfortable with everything to hand helps cut down vital moments throughout the service, Creative Performance tips, pump dispensers rather than bottles with screw tops, getting your clients to talk about something they love / are about to do / an event / anything is great because you can listen and "umm" and "ahh" in all the right places without lifting your head. Do pay attention though because there is invariably a pop quiz during a later service and you will be expected to remember the answers ....

One thing that really helped me was a two hour one-to-one training session at Creative in London. I immediately shaved 15 mins off my application time so was well worth the money and probably paid for itself within a fortnight.

I would rather have someone like you who took their time and gave me a gorgeous set of nails than someone who could knock out a set within the hour but they all fell off / looked horrible.

Jan
x

There must be a balance here - whilst I agree that Popits will reduce tech's times, I think it is imperative that techs are able to achieve a good set of salon nails without Popits in a reasonable amount of time. By good, I certainly don't mean a set that looks 'bad' or 'falls off':)

One to one and a half hours should be your aim. Clients do not want or expect to give up 2 - 3 hours for their nails every two weeks.

I had my own nails done fortnightly for 5 years before getting into the business and would never have kept them up if that much time had been involved.

Whilst there are people who will give up this amount of time, do you know how many clients who don't continue with the regular fortnightly service because of the time involved? If you consider the time it takes for them to drive to you, get the service, drive home (if you are salon or home-based) you are asking people to give up half a day every two weeks.

I would advise some 0ne-to-one training with your local Educator, they will be able to give you lots of advice on reducing your times whilst still producing an excellent, professional set of nails.

Popits most definitely have their place, we use them a lot in our salon, but professional and experienced nail techs must be able to offer a full range of services from 45 minute in and out popit services, through 1 to 1 and a half hour standard services and 2 hour 'couture' services.

I have just done my daughter's best friend a set of sculpts with shocking pink glittery tips and it took me 2 and three quarter hours. Absolutely gutted :cry:

First her last two finger nails were dark yellow, she has NO free edge what so ever and insisted on sculpts so my forms just weren't sitting right at all. She told me her last set (only set) a couple of them just pinged off and a couple of her nails were very badly fan shaped!! :eek:

I had to dehydrate and prime the nails twice, very thin layer of CB on nail bed to cover yellowing, faff about with forms and to top it all I've got dust in my glaze n go!! :mad:

The plusses are.. she said they never sanitized anything let alone her hands or theirs, they didn't remove non living tissue from nail plate and they didn't blend zone 3 into natural nail and the free edge was really thick. She said her nails are beautiful and she loves them and they are so much better than the others she had... I felt better.

I have said this before but I think it's better to take longer and produce a good set of nails than take 45 mins to send the client away with something they are not happy with and are going to tell everybody about. :hug:

I'm certainly a perfectionist if you've ever met one, but seriously, you can't expect a client to sit in a chair for 2hrs plus having their nails done?

I'm all for making them the best I can... which I do, but I work hard to do it. and lets face it...Women these days just don't have the time.

It's not at all profitable either to accept these timings as ok <except if training>.

1:30 is a perfectly acceptable time, otherwise you're pretty much giving them away.
Posted via Mobile Device

the more you do the quicker you become at it!
its all down to practice and nails nails nails constantly
thats why nail techs who work back to back can acheive this 1 hr to 1 hr plus consistently
why cos you have to. End of!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm certainly a perfectionist if you've ever met one, but seriously, you can't expect a client to sit in a chair for 2hrs plus having their nails done?

I'm all for making them the best I can... which I do, but I work hard to do it. I think we all work hard regardless of how long it takes us. Some of us are just more experienced than others. and lets face it...Women these days just don't have the time.

It's not at all profitable either to accept these timings as ok <except if training>.

1:30 is a perfectly acceptable time, otherwise you're pretty much giving them away. I think in the early days a certain amount of this has to be accepted to be able to have people to practice on at all and to build some kiind of client base.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't think anyone intentionally sets out to take 2 hrs plus to do a set of nails.. I AM a perfectionist but I am also still learning. I know I am not currently marketable with timings that I have, however, I think it is to be expected for now because if I was doing a set in an hour and a half they would not be of a good standard and to me, that just isn't good enough. I do not expect this to always be the case as I do work very hard when doing my nails and do want to earn decent money whilst doing it so will have to work on improving my techniques and not sending clients away with substandard sets of nails. :eek: :)

I don't think anyone intentionally sets out to take 2 hrs plus to do a set of nails.. I AM a perfectionist but I am also still learning. I know I am not currently marketable with timings that I have, however, I think it is to be expected for now because if I was doing a set in an hour and a half they would not be of a good standard and to me, that just isn't good enough. I do not expect this to always be the case as I do work very hard when doing my nails and do want to earn decent money whilst doing it so will have to work on improving my techniques and not sending clients away with substandard sets of nails. :eek: :)

I do understand that in the beginning it takes a while to do a great set of nails. Trust me, I was there not that long ago. And I took the steps that I needed to to get better.

But the original poster was saying that she's been trained for 2 years and still taking 2-3 hours to do a set.

There's been lots of advice on ways to speed up. The Popits that I do take 45 mins and they come out great. (Sometimes a better apex etc, than what I can do!) I'm not in anyway cutting down on prep or cutting any other corners - which I think a lot of people automatically presume that this is what is happening, because they only take 45 minutes. But I do have clients that think that even an hour and a half for a set is too long! Buying pre-blended tips can dramatically cut down your timing as well.

Unfortunately in a Salon environment, it's not good to be taking longer than two hours to do a set of nails. Please don't take this as a dig - I'm talking business! xxx

I do understand that in the beginning it takes a while to do a great set of nails. Trust me, I was there not that long ago. And I took the steps that I needed to to get better.

But the original poster was saying that she's been trained for 2 years and still taking 2-3 hours to do a set.

There's been lots of advice on ways to speed up. The Popits that I do take 45 mins and they come out great. (Sometimes a better apex etc, than what I can do!) I'm not in anyway cutting down on prep or cutting any other corners - which I think a lot of people automatically presume that this is what is happening, because they only take 45 minutes. But I do have clients that think that even an hour and a half for a set is too long! Buying pre-blended tips can dramatically cut down your timing as well.

Unfortunately in a Salon environment, it's not good to be taking longer than two hours to do a set of nails. Please don't take this as a dig - I'm talking business! xxx

Not at all.. :)

I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't even try to get clients until they feel they can do a set in an hour and a half. The fact that the original poster is still taking two hours plus, after two years, could be a case of confidence and a lack of practice. Saying that you might as well give them away may not be a great confidence booster for them, I know it wouldn't be to me. JMO.

I still believe that it is better to ensure you can produce a good set of enhancements as a priority over timing... it's putting more emphasis on quantity and not quality. I would rather spend two hours producing a good set and then learning how to speed up than the other way around because I want to produce consistently good work not consistently quick sets.

I know that I won't be working in a salon until I can do both :)

I do agree quality over quantity, but after 2 years steps need to be taken to improve timings. And Deejay has done the best thing and come on here for advice. Again, not at all aimed at newbies!

- Popits are great - there are so many threads on here detailing why. Certainly not a quick way out, but a quicker way of doing nails in certain circumstances.

- Performance tips, they definitely cut down time!

- File for a reason, not just to file. One of my mistakes in the beginning, File to debulk, using the right pressure, file to get rid of 'that piece of lifting'. I was always filing willy nilly!

- Talk to the hand, cos the face ain't listening. BIG HELP!

- Get a one-to-one with your educator. Inexpensive in the long run for all the help you will receive.

Sometimes it's not a case of lack of confidence, or practice, but maybe just one thing that can change the way you do nails. And it could be the way you apply the tips, the way you finish them off etc. And sometimes all you need is someone to watch you.

Hi L J
I see that you offer poppits in your salon we have also done some poppets but we feel that when initially done they look perfect but after two weeks they look almost like stick ons & they only seem to last till the second two week infill and the clients say they will pop off really easy where as the traditional tip & overlays last longer. Any one else tried poppits & find this ?

Shell

Hi Guy's,

Deejay
you want to section your time.
30 mins for prep, tip application and tip blending
30 mins for product application
30 mins for finishing (inc polish)
time yourself in each area to see where you need to speed up or work on

Just have to say that......

I DID A FULL SET OF NAILS IN 1 HOUR 15 MINS TODAY!!!

Fanfare please!

Basically, I did everything I usually do but I left the talking totally to the client. This bring me to the conclusion that I do not have a problem with timings.... I have a problem with verbal diorrhea!

Shaving 30-45 mins off a full set just by shutting up..... shameful! :smack: :!:

you want to section your time.
30 mins for prep, tip application and tip blending
30 mins for product application
30 mins for finishing (inc polish)
time yourself in each area to see where you need to speed up or work on

What an excellent way of finding out where you're taking too long :) I'm sure this will go a long way to helping reduce timings. Going to do it myself too :green:

I went to the Professional Beauty show at the GMEX and watched Young Nails do a seminar on "The Need For Speed" apart from being amazing he used a reversal fill technique and a drill.
Having tried this method (without a drill) I managed to shave a good 20 mins off my time on the first go. With a drill I could easy lose 45mins and I was shocked!! :eek:
As an anti drill person I am now about to buy one, but hey the Young Nails guy has converted me and I'm quicker Hurrah!!!:)

Latest posts

Back