Life Coaching for Nail Technicians

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

connoisseur

Reaction score
Hi All,

It occurs to me that in order to succeed in this business you have to have a certain type of personality: resiliance, confidence, excellent communication skills, an eye for detail, good organisation skills (esp if you;re self employed) the list could go on.(this in addition to your technical skills)

Now I know that we're not all born with these traits, they often need to be developed. I just wondered of those of you that didn't have these skills in bucketloads to start with, how have you brought yourself to a level where you are confident in all that you do as a nail tech. -

I'm referring to personal skills not technical skills

Was it just a case of jumping in with both feet first, were you mentored/coached by someone?

I currently have a postgraduate certificate in coaching and mentoring practice and I am considering doing a full MA (Masters degree) and I think this would make a great dissertation and also a great discussion point.

I gained many of these skills in my previous life in insurance where I received a lot of training and coaching in customer service, striving to give the best possible service, dealing with complaints etc etc etc and I believe that can be applied in a salon situation, even though it is a completely different industry.....same theory and skills required whatever the setting IMO.

I did learn some salon skills, such as how to make appointments to your advantage, at the salon where I rented space for a couple of years.

Good luck with your MA and dissitation!

Cathie! said:
I gained many of these skills in my previous life in insurance where I received a lot of training and coaching in customer service, striving to give the best possible service, dealing with complaints etc etc etc and I believe that can be applied in a salon situation, even though it is a completely different industry.....same theory and skills required whatever the setting IMO.

I did learn some salon skills, such as how to make appointments to your advantage, at the salon where I rented space for a couple of years.

Good luck with your MA and dissitation!

Thanks.

It's good to have transferrable skills. Sometimes we don't even realise we have them

Well I was in clerical for years so that made me good at the pc and pretty organised.

Then I went into Ford Fleet Sales and gained loads of experience with Local businesses and went on shedloads of courses. I also had to go out and bring the business in. I eventually ran the department and had to do annual budgets and monthly accounts etc.

Then I did a short stint with the Thomson Local. Two weeks of mega intense training and it taught me about how to advertise. It also taught me that life's too short and you really should enjoy what you do.

Then I worked in a nail bar for a year and learned how business gradually increases and decreases, the busy times, the slow times. etc

I did quite a few courses with the Inland Revenue which are free so that I could do my own end of year account - bah humbug the dreaded self assessment tax return - boo hiss!

With all of these combined, giving me pretty good interpersonal skills, it gave me the perfect start to become self employed.

I have always had good communication skills .. I am a people person ... must be in the genes, and my father taught me all about business since I was 12 years old.

What I didn't know, particularly about retailing and running a successful salon, I went on classes to learn with the best.

I am a trained artist, so learning the nail skills was the fun part for me and my education background at University was Chemistry so (who would have thought) it all fitted together like clockwork! The perfect job for me.

Well I worked in Human Resources for a number of years, and this is where I learnt to deal with all types of people both good and bad. I have also completed a business and marketing degree at university and more recently managed a team of staff at a state business information centre. My husband and I also own another small business which I run the books for etc. So its not my business sense thats a problem, thats the easy part I feel BUT doing nails is the biggest challange I have ever faced! :eek: :lol: ....but what can i say, i love it. Although, as a final word, having to produce a second layer of skin to deal with the problem people is not so easy. :lol:

I am a people person but have found this a challenge at times.
I have gone from a very well paid job with a lot of responsibility to looking after myself.
I have found that my personal skills are a little bit different to my technical skills.
I've learnt a lot from this site and from my mentors.
I was also a graphic artist so, yes I do love nail art etc but that is just for me. Part of this job I love and sometimes I hate it. But I suppose it's the same whatever industry you are in?
This is the job that I CHOSE to do. I've done many jobs in my time waiting on tables, bar work, BUT I really do like this job. Although sometimes you might think otherwise:lol:
I had a bad day today, it happens.

I was originally in Accountancy so can do all the "office" side of things quite easily. When I set up in interiors/soft furnishing with my sister I took over the admin , ordering accounts work etc & just fitted it in as and when - no problem.

We were both very motivated and loved everyone - we are both good with people but as in all business you get some horror clients and we both really struggled at this point. They really got us both down.

I have to admit that I am very new to nails and haven't even finished my trainiing but the business side is all set up, my table / lamp bought, my price list is designed and ready to print and marketing methods are decided.

All that remains is to develop my skills to a saleable level, and I shall be ready to go.

Just one niggle remains

What do you do with the problem clients?

I used to runs pubs when i was married to my first husband, so I learnt the ins and outs of running a business, dealing with 'difficult' people and also how to get along with people from all walks of life. :)

Im definately a people person and hate being on my own. Im also very organised and methodical, which i find really helps me in my current career.

I already have the experience in running my own business, and now im getting more confidence in nails & beauty, i would like to do more training in this field so i can be fantastic at what i do!

I have worked for myself for so long that I would find it really hard now to become an employee!:!:

adelekeegan1 said:
What do you do with the problem clients?

I find firstly knowing a little about consumer law helps. I also find that those that are rude and demanding get nothing from me. Those that are reasonable I'll bend over backwards to help. Don't know if it's right or wrong, but that's how I am. Quite often it's best to start with the empathy approach "I can understand how you feel but ...."

It's often a play it by ear scenario. Clients are often economical with the truth, so if something gets broken (ie a nail) I just say, "goodness what did you do", and normally they will then tell you exactly what they did. Often I won't give a freebie sort out, but occasionally I will offer something as a gesture of goodwill, but that it's a one off and not to be expected again.

There's a fine line between giving a gesture of goodwill to a genuine problem, and a client who tries to take the proverbial!

I have been in beauty and nails since I left school going straight into college

but I didnt have the people skills as I was pretty shy but I think I developed them by learning from my mistakes along the way...
I learned at an early age though that this business is pretty cut throat and you would be lucky to find a salon that would appreciate what you had to offer...I was once told by an employer I was 'too nice' which confused me somewhat. Self employment was the only way to go for me...doing things my way works for me...I can be as nice as I like now.

I worked in sales as an Account Manager for 5 years before learning beauty. However I'd like to have done it once leaving school; two reasons I didn't. I wouldn't have been confident or have the people skills enough & my mum encouraged me to do A levels. My job taught me lots of skills; how to communicate effectively and professionally, how to market myself. I also did a marketing degree which has helped as I can do the accounting and marketing schedules etc. I also think being self employed you have to be some kind of a sales person in order for it to succeed. This may be without you knowing, but how can you sell your self if you aren't passionate about your trade and a pro in what you do? I've found the perfect job for me and I look forward to building up my business when I move and seeing it grow like it has done this year. hth's

I also learnt my "life skills" in my previous work life of 20 years doing: a) working as a receptionist and dealing with people, b) working in a Building Society in numerous positions - cashier, mortgage adviser, financial adviser, branch manager c) Retail & Human Resourses.

All of these have given me the experiences of dealig with people (good and bad) financial awareness and also working to targets and budgets.

I have also ran the admin and finance side of my husbands construction business (treat it like my own business) so had lots of "all round" experience needed.

Because of all of these I new that once I had done my Beauty Training that I would want it to be my own business!

beautycat said:
. Although, as a final word, having to produce a second layer of skin to deal with the problem people is not so easy. :lol:

What type of 'problem people' are you talking about? What are some of the challenges you've faced with these people?

Wow!! You guys are amazing. There is such a wealth of experience on this site. I wonder if the nail industry really knows what kind of 'gems' it has.

It seems the challenge most people face (and this is not exclusive to nails) is the challenge of dealing with difficult/demanding clients.

I think the key to dealing with such issues is being confident about what you're saying. When a problem is presented to you, as soon as you start umming and ahhing, that's when it becomes difficullt and you start doubting yourself and your abilities.

But when you make it clear that this is how it is and 'I know because I'm the professional' there's not much they can say. It's not about being rude or aggressive, it's about being sure of yourself. Although there is a fine line between being confident and being cocky, and belittling the client.

Much of it is also about your state of mind; if you don't believe what you're saying, neither will your clients!!

That's why training and continuing professional development (CPD) is so important. We need to know our stuff so that when the challenges do come our way (and they will!) we know enough about our profession to be able to deal with them effectively.

the problem people are the ones who demand more, push you to the limits and knock your confidence... sometimes I have given in and turned the other cheek whilst others I have ignored their phonecalls... But I learned if your nice to them sympathetic even, they can end up being loyal clients...

Over the years I have met so many people in this job - there are those who love you like a daughter and others who appreciate you & tell you everything like a best friend, and their are the ones who take advantage of your good nature (the ones you go the extra mile for) and then dispose of you when there is something more convenient avail to them. And of course the ones who are just plain rude and find fault with everything you do - its a battlefield of personalities that I have to keep adjusting to.
nothing surprises me anymore and I keep an open mind at all times.

The clients that are challenging and demanding expect not 100% but 200% - they are the kind of clients you would rather not do treatments on. I've only had a few in my career; but I get phone calls now and know straight away what the person will be like. Call it intuition.

These kind of clients are rude and bad mannered; For example I once had an appt at a lady's house, she firstly expected me to do nails over a coffee table when there was a kitchen table. Then I asked her if I could please plug in my UV lamp. She then replied "oh I will charge you for electricity" and went on this way all night. You've got to bite your tongue and get on with it.

I will not go to someone's house who speaks down to me on the phone; expects me to cancel other appointments or social engagements to fit in their appointment etc.

Also you get the ones that want you to drop everything to do treatments at X o'clock that day, when you're busy already or got another client. Some people won't take no for an answer.

But generally most clients I have are lovely, some have become good friends and you get a good bond with them as well as loyalty which is important.

Hth's xx

Latest posts

Back