Lint from wipes and too much light!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiebbaby

Reaction score
I have fir the life of me to find a good nail wipe that dies not leave tiny fibres on the bail plate and when I'm doing shellac it's driving me insane really cracks me up as they get on the brush and they stick to the rubber bit I'm stopping , don't get me wron I'm taking tiny fibres like little silk bits but I'm sooo particular I can't ignore them.

Also as shellac is a light curing product how do you get around not using a table lamp ? Ohh lord it's cracking me up I need light to work with or I can't do the job as good as I like but can't use my lamp ??

Another issue when shaking how are you all preventing the product going into the lid ? Do you wait ?

Sorry geeks only silly problems probably very obvious answer ha ha xxx

I use little sponges for wiping with my Shellac, they are the IBD nail wipes. You get about 50 for £4.00 so they are quite expensive but its a small price to pay for no fibres!

I use my table lamp when doing shellac without problems, I just fix it a bit higher than normal so it's not so close. There is no way I could do nails without a lamp over head!

I have fir the life of me to find a good nail wipe that dies not leave tiny fibres on the bail plate and when I'm doing shellac it's driving me insane really cracks me up as they get on the brush and they stick to the rubber bit I'm stopping , don't get me wron I'm taking tiny fibres like little silk bits but I'm sooo particular I can't ignore them.

Also as shellac is a light curing product how do you get around not using a table lamp ? Ohh lord it's cracking me up I need light to work with or I can't do the job as good as I like but can't use my lamp ??

Another issue when shaking how are you all preventing the product going into the lid ? Do you wait ?

Sorry geeks only silly problems probably very obvious answer ha ha xxx

I use a light to work and it doesn't affect my Shellac. What kind of light are you using that affects your Shellac? If it is doing then I'd use a lamp that doesn't.

I use nail Techs choice gauze pads and they don't leave any fibers .. and if they did, I'd be done anyway by the time I used them.

As for Shellac in the lid, I can honestly say that this is not a problem I have come across.personally .. Is it any different from polish in the lid of a polish bottle? I just screw the shaft of the brush around the neck and it's gone.

I don't think your problems are silly but neither would I bother stressing about them. There are ways around everything if you think it through.

I either use the sponge wipes or I have a small, sort of half size, nail brush that I put some cleanser on with a pump dispenser and brush the nails clean. Wait a couple of seconds for them to dry properly and proceed. By the time you have brushed both hands the first hand is dry anyway. I have found this the most economical way of avoiding fibres! The little nail brushes only cost 99p from Boots or 59p from Salonserve!

Hope this helps! :green:

I don't use Shellac (yet ;) but I have to say, how brill CND Gauge wipes are, 10 times better than what I've used before. They are more like mini clothes, no bits :D

Have just ordered gauze wipes as the lint free ones are driving me crazy but I do also have a few IBD sponge wipes which I have to say are great.

Katie, I'm also having problems with the Shellac collecting at the top of the lid even when shaking side to side and patting into the hand. I'm constantly on the look out for the rogue drip, so you're not alone. Think it is just a case of shaking and waiting :) x

I use a light to work and it doesn't affect my Shellac. What kind of light are you using that affects your Shellac? If it is doing then I'd use a lamp that doesn't.

I use nail Techs choice gauze pads and they don't leave any fibers .. and if they did, I'd be done anyway by the time I used them.

As for Shellac in the lid, I can honestly say that this is not a problem I have come across.personally .. Is it any different from polish in the lid of a polish bottle? I just screw the shaft of the brush around the neck and it's gone.

I don't think your problems are silly but neither would I bother stressing about them. There are ways around everything if you think it through.

I am currently just using a standard desk lamp it has a uv filter on it and it is on a swivel so can turn 360 degrees abs turn the head 360 degrees tbh it has done me ok while starting out but I do want to get a new one that does not cast shadows lol. What would you recommend ? So when working with shellac say of an evening in poor lighting it is ok to use direct light on your station?

Also where do I get these wipes from? I use the designer nails ones and they are meant to be lint free but ???? But maybe I'm scrubbing a little too much??

It has happened to me quite Alot with shellac collecting in my lid and do find it annoying as firstly it is alot more expensive and in demand than regular polish so therefore begrudge wasting little drips around the rim of my bottle and it also wastes my tine having to stop and wipe. I can't say I have ever had this problem with ordinary enamel.

I am currently just using a standard desk lamp it has a uv filter on it and it is on a swivel so can turn 360 degrees abs turn the head 360 degrees tbh it has done me ok while starting out but I do want to get a new one that does not cast shadows lol. What would you recommend ? So when working with shellac say of an evening in poor lighting it is ok to use direct light on your station?

Also where do I get these wipes from? I use the designer nails ones and they are meant to be lint free but ???? But maybe I'm scrubbing a little too much??

It has happened to me quite Alot with shellac collecting in my lid and do find it annoying as firstly it is alot more expensive and in demand than regular polish so therefore begrudge wasting little drips around the rim of my bottle and it also wastes my tine having to stop and wipe. I can't say I have ever had this problem with ordinary enamel.

Katie, what can I say? I use the DN nail techs choice gauze pads and have done for 25 years. Never had a problem with them and would never use anything else.

Don't waste any drips as I don't have drips.

I use an ordinary desk lamp from an ordinary electrical shop. It doesn't cast shadows if positioned correctly over where I work. It does not cure Shellac.

What else can I say? I do not have the issues you say you have.

I use a slimline daylight lamp which I love and have no probs with Shellac you can have it as high or as low as you want. I have mine quite low so I can see over it when looking at the client.
I use HandsDown Nail wipes (not the pads)which I cut in half so as not to waste them and they give off no fluff or fibres.
I shake my bottle of colour when client chooses it and therefore it stands briefly while base coat is being applied. This prevents too much around the top of the bottle.

The gauze ones I have bought from S2.

Forget the lint free ones, I have the same problem with about 3 different packets. I actually thought I'd bought the wrong ones but they definitely say lint free...

IBD sponge ones are good though, especially if you do gel nails as they hold the liquid a little longer than lint free wipes, so a little cleanse goes a long way if stored in a dappen dish with a lid.

I did wonder whether or not I have managed to "contaminate" my base coat as I've found a few random fibres. Grrrr. Just waiting for my S2 delivery of basecoat tomorrow, new bottle and gauze wipes will, hopefully, allieviate the problem.

Just came across this thread and could defo sympathise as the "lint free" wipes used to drive me up the wall. The best wipes I have found are "Sibel" lint free (they really ARE!) which are ++.++vat at Capital. I also cut up small squares of kitchen roll (Tesco Value is best) for just wiping my brush etc as I go along. I use a long daylight adjustable lamp from Ikea which is fab and can be moved as high or low as you want and clamps onto the side of the table and doesn't cause any probs with the many soak off gels I use.
Hope that helps xx

Last edited by a moderator:
regarding shellac in the lid i shake my colour and TC when im putting the base coat on to let it settle down abit but they do reccomend that u shake 30secs before use so i guess thats maybe to let it settle? xxx

regarding shellac in the lid i shake my colour and TC when im putting the base coat on to let it settle down abit but they do reccomend that u shake 30secs before use so i guess thats maybe to let it settle? xxx
It's not to let anything settle ... It's to mix it thoroughly before using. If Shellac was a coloured gel, you wouldn't have to shake, but with it being a mixture with solvents, you do need to shake ... Doesn't take allot of effort and not much different to what we do with enamel.

Regarding little fibres ... Haven't we had the same challenges when using gels for years and years? What's different in our present situation with UV
Colour coats? You need to work as clean as you can, and even then you will get the odd fibres ... Heating doesn't help nor do clients that arrive in fuzzy, hairy Jumpers ( so many DO that :lol:).

One remedy you can take, to rescue yourself, if you get bits on the surface of your colour coat is, wipe off the dispersion layer after curing if it looks bumpy ... smooth the surface just lightly with a block buffer ... And then apply your top coat. Only takes seconds if you have to do it. Smoothing lightly will not remove the colour and your top coat will make it shine again.

Last edited:
Fab rescue option Geeg! I have sometimes had bumpy bits and taken the whole nail back off as I wasnt happy with it :irked:, thats great to know that light buffing will sort it. THANK YOU :hug:

Latest posts

Back