Log cabin, garage conversion or conservatory?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helsbels

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just looking for some advice. I want to start up my own beauty business from home but not sure which option is the best. I have a detached garage which could be converted, I have space for a conservatory or I could replace the garden shed with a log cabin. I have quotes for all and have spoken to the council re: planning.

The cabin would be the cheapest option at about 3K with electrics, etc but worried it won't be warm enough in the winter or smell damp, the garage will be about 6K and the conservatory would be approx 13K. I have spent so much time weighing up the pros and cons of each that my brain is now mush!

Your thoughts/advice please?

Definatley go for the garage conversion...whilst not the cheapest of the three options it will be a better working enviroment for you as well as put the value of your property up as if/when you sell someone could use the extra space for so many options..thus value goes up..assuming house prices dont drop through te floor at some point in the not to distant future :eek:

Good to hear that you are willing to make an investment of this nature into your buisness...good luck :hug:

Thanks Collin. The garage is my preferred option but it's great to hear others opinions. I feel like I have been eating, sleeping and talking the decision to the point that I'm all tied up in knots so I appreciate your advice.:)

I would absolutely love a log cabin,but it just makes me wonder if my garden will have to be kept spotless all the time as it will be on show to the clients?Does anybody else with a log cab have this prob?

I wouldn't go with the conservatory because, you do beauty to and a conservatory is imo a little to exposed to peeps looking in and as a customer I would feel uncomfortable.
A couple of the geeks have the cabin and love them, they would only smell damp if you didn't heat them, and of course you will and so long as they are insulated properly there is no problem with the cold.
The garage, so long as you put enough window's or sky lights in would be nice but I think it comes down to how long you are going to stay in that house. If you are planning on moving in the next couple of years I would go for the cabin, because it can move with you and then you don't have the cost of doing it all again with the new place, but if you are staying put then I would go with the garage option.:hug:

my in laws converted their garage and its great ,although they have made it a study with a bathroom /shower .- it will add value to your house and if it doesnt work out youll have a spare bedroom/study with a showerroom(i pressume you do massage etc)

I have been temporarily working from my conservatory until recent week's whilst my studio (above the double garage - love it) was being renovated. Never again! On a bright sunny day gels were curing in my brush before I could get them properly applied on the nail, I have several product completely ruined (polishes etc) and many solutions have lost a lot of their colour, making it really difficult to tell at a glance what is what.....

I love my garage space, but its been converted properly...which costs money, so either that or the log cabin...which sounds really cute! :hug:

Hi,

i have a log cabin which cost 1k, a sparky came and put electrics in and because it has a seprate link to the fuse box (hope i got that right!) it is classed as another room and will add value to my house.

i have only recently set up and got customers in.... and they all love it!

i have a little heater which keeps it warm in the winter and have a fan for the summer.
my cabin does not smell of damp... it would only smell like that if you had a leak. my cabin used to be a workshop until i changed it into my salon... and it wasn't used for 3 years and still didn't smell.

i would have thought that when you come to sell that most people would prefer it to be a garage??!!! i know i would.

anyway... if you have anymore questions on a cabin then please ask.

good luck with whatever you choose

Hi I had a garage conversion carried out for my beauty room which looks great and I always recieve positive comments by clients. However I did not have the choice of your other options as our garden is too small. It is a dear option but like others have mentioned it will always add value to your house. I think it depends on what your plans are a) with your business and b) if you will move in the future c) how much money you have to spend & what you want to acheive with it.

The other thing is the plumbing - you must provide a toilet for clients to use and it is best to have one close to your work area to avoid clients disturbing your family life. The only one I would possibly avoid is the conservatory - they are notorious for getting really hot in summer unless of course you can compensate for that by blinds and roof windows. Take a closer look at how you would kit all options out to help you make a decision.:)

I would absolutely love a log cabin,but it just makes me wonder if my garden will have to be kept spotless all the time as it will be on show to the clients?Does anybody else with a log cab have this prob?
i have and i love it the smell is amazing , i have under floor heating and tiles and then in the cold winter2 heaters should thy be needed, fully fitted with a kitchen. They are so warm and the wood so thick , no draught , will have a look for the company we used it was from the internet. Look s feature of the house and garden.HUSBANDS AND KIDS BANNED !

i am thinking along the same lines but my garage is jointed to the house i think your would be better then u can keep the buisness away from your home live

I too work from a log cabin and LOVE it! It is at the back of my garden, so keeps my house my home. I have no trouble heating it, and clients love it as it is a private purpose built little salon. My room is 22 foot by 10, (approx). I have recently taken some photos so I will try to upload so you can have a little look. (i say try as I am useless with computers:green:)

ok i have put a photo in my gallery as i couldnt figure out how to put on reply, lol!:eek:

Just out of interest where did you get your log cabins?

Regards
Deb379

ok i have put a photo in my gallery as i couldnt figure out how to put on reply, lol!:eek:

Your log cabin is georgous,Im so jealous,we have an old air raid shelter in our garden ,my husband keeps saying hes gonna renovate it for me,Id just wish hed move his butt and get on and do it,but he just has so many other plans for the house at the moment.:irked:

Your log cabin is georgous,Im so jealous,we have an old air raid shelter in our garden ,my husband keeps saying hes gonna renovate it for me,Id just wish hed move his butt and get on and do it,but he just has so many other plans for the house at the moment.:irked:

Oh thank you, I love working in it. My hubby was the same, but he soon moved his butt when I left the salon I worked in and told him how nice it was now I would be at home with him when he wasnt on shift, lol. Iv never seen the man work so fast:lol::lol::lol:

Have you got a large garden for the cabin?

Our garden is not so big thats why I haven't fufiilled my dream of a cabin salon.

its about 90 foot long, but my friend has one in her garden for hairdressing, and her garden is 30 foot by 25 ish max. Its looks lovely and as it is at the side of the garden, dosnt overly affect the garden.

thanks for the reply.

Sounds good.

I would have to NOT have my dog - would be a nightmare if my dog had been out and done a quicky poo then the client had to pass through.

One day...

Oh thank you, I love working in it. My hubby was the same, but he soon moved his butt when I left the salon I worked in and told him how nice it was now I would be at home with him when he wasnt on shift, lol. Iv never seen the man work so fast:lol::lol::lol:

Oooh,will have to try that one:lol::lol::lol:,tell him atleast he ll be able to look out the window and still see me ,even if I am working.

Latest posts

Back