Long story but how would you handle this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boop

Reaction score
Morning geeks, sorry for the long story but I'm hoping for some advice.

I've started my business since June this year so still new, just renting a small room in a gym, I've been doing nails on and off for years so started with just that and have recently done the Salon Systems eyelash lift/tinting course and have done 7 lifts/perms in the last week.

I have this client who has turned in to being a bit of a nightmare. Firstly she came to me for nails once, then she messaged me asking if I wanted to meet in town for coffee, being new to the area and not knowing anyone I said yes (regret this now) So when we met she was hiding her hands and when I asked her what's up she said she had been to have acrylic 'because her mate paid for all her friends' etc. anyway I wasn't offended, its her choice, thought it was a bit strange though:rolleyes: then she has asked me to remove them.
She has booked friends & mum in with me who have then cancelled/'changed their mind' but either way never came. She is always cancelling/changing her appointments and even turned up 5 hours late for a patch test. (yes really)
So I do her eyelash perm on Saturday and her eyes are constantly flickering, and she couldn't relax, she was chattering away and kept saying 'Ooo I keep trying to open my eyes' So anyway then her eye started stinging so I suggested we stop, flush the eye and do the treatment this week, she said no its fine now and to carry on. So I removed the rod, cleaned the eye area with damp cotton pads, dried with a dry pad and started that eye again.
Her other eye turned out fine, but that eye, the lashes wouldnt stay up on the rod so I've added more glue with no luck. eventually they did stay put and I carried on the treatment, by the time I'd finished though she was complaining of stinging so I've cleaned the eye area with damp pads and given her a damp compress to soothe the area. She said she woud come back this week and have it re-done and I didn't charge her.
I get a text at 6.30 pm asking how the next 2 went after hers and I told her they had gone fine. Then she said hers was burning so I suggested an allergy tablet (this helped me when I was sensitive to tint once) and a cold damp flanel over the eye.
She called me a 9.30pm saying she was waiting for NHS Direct to call her back.
Then at 00.30 I have a facebook message from her saying she had just got back from A+E and her eyelids and under eyes have been burnt and her eyelashes are going to all fall out and she has to wear sunglasses for a week :eek:
From what little I know of her she seem to be a bubbly, loud person who always needs to be centre of attention. Even the manager of the gym I work in said (she used to me a member there) that she will be your 'nightmare client'. She seems to be a nice girl, she has not been nasty about this but I do think she may be over exagerating.
Could her lashes REALLY fall out? I had a reaction from tinting mine and both my eyes were like what she is describing but I didnt go to A+E and my eyelashes didnt fall out and in 3 days my eyes were fine again.

I've spoken to the gym manager as I get on well with her and she has alot of experience in dealing with people from previous jobs so I've asked her advice on how to respond to this girl, but professionally from a beauty point of view, could her eyelashes really fall out? Did I do something wrong? I did a patch test 2 days before treatment and she said she had no reaction. I followed instructions.
The only thing I did not do was a consultation form as she was chattering so much I just wanted to get her in and get started, once I had just started I did remember and asked her if she had any eye infections/recent problems around the eye. And I already knew she had not had any reaction to the patch test.

What has annoyed me though is that this girl has told her friends about this as they have written 'get well' messsages on her facebook page. She lives in the area I work in and is very well known/popular/knows a lot of people, so I'm hoping this wont affect my business too much. My bf says just forget her, you did nothing wrong and her & her friends arnt the type of clients you want.

What would you advice? I havn't wrote back to her message about A+E yet as I wanted to ring salon systems at 9am and see if in the worst case senerio it would be possible for the eyelashes to fall out.

Any advice on how to handle this situation/client would be much appreciated, sorry for such a LONG story:rolleyes:. xxxxx

I didn't want to just read and run.

I don't do lashes so can't really help other than meet up with her ASAP n tell her you need to take photos so you know what to look out for in other possibly 'allergic' clients
This will give you chance to see for yourself plus if she were to contact your insurers then you have proof of just how bad (or not) they are.

I would also next time she tries making an appt advise her your products aren't for her so maybe search another therapist in the area but chances are she's tried them all anyway.

Good luck and keep us informed of all outcomes and I'm sure a lash geek will be about soon.

Chin up (I know, easy for me to say).

Unfortunately clients are the unknown and you never quite know what will happen when they leave you. Even treatments that go amazingly well can sometimes end in disaster so try not to worry.

As i said the other day, chances are the whole town probably thinks she is a nightmare. That is often the case with the people that shout the loudest!

Just speak to ss at 9am

I'm not sure i would put anything on facebook personally. If you need to speak to her do it by telephone.

Hmmm, well I have done many,many perms and never ever had anyone's lashes fall out.
Same with eyelash tints. Some people are a little more sensitive than others, to eye products. Personally I don't see how any medical practitioner would know if the lashes are going to fall out or not. Only time will tell.

I wouldn't get into any debates about the subject either via face book or texts. I would arrange for her to come in so you can see the lashes. Make a note of everything on her consultation form which you need to fill out ASAP.

You patch tested her and carried out the perm correctly. It sounds to me as though a little of the product has seeped into the eye because she was too busy chatting and trying to open her eyes. She's probably been given drops an her eyes will no doubt be fine in a couple of days to a week

How on earth would it have been possible for you to have burnt her eyes? The products for eyelash perms etc are very low percentage and specifically designed for the eyes.

I would contact your insurance provider plus the manufacturers of this product and get their advice ASAP. Try not to worry unduly though.

Like the other geeks said get her back and get that consultation for, sorted ASAP! Also I always take before and after pictures, although allergic reactions can occur after the treatment I always think its a good idea just Incase they say it happened during, you can never have too much proof.

Don't let it get to you too much, from the sounds of it she is just dramatic, in all the time I've been doing beauty I've never known of someone's eyelashes all falling out from a perm! Head up Hun :) xx

Yes, as Mentioned above you must contact your insurance company straight away to make them aware of the situation. I would ask her to come back in so you can take your own pictures.

Everything you've sent her and she's sent you, texts, emails keep them!
U did a patch test ull b fine, if she does make a claim it won't b coming out of ur pocket, don't worry about your rep, these things happen to all of us and you've followed procedure!
These things are sent to test us and I think your doing very well!:)
Chin up, don't panic it will be fine, most people like that are just doing it for attention and it never goes any where, as for burning I've never heard of that, reaction maybe but not burning! Good luck xxxx

Thanks to all that posted above. Was very glad to hear your thoughts and advice and felt reassured.

Just thought I would give an update.

I called Salon Systems and told her my story, and was relived when she laughed out loud as I said 'and she is saying the doctor told her her eyelashes would fall out'
She said it is VERY unikely that would happen and as for the 'burns', there is not enough peroxide in the solutions to cause burns. Like beauty_sarah said, sensitivity/stinging maybe but not actual burning of the skin.

She asked if I had done a patch test and was insured etc, and said i would be fine, I did explain to her that I had not filed out a consultation form on the day but she said (from what I told her) it sounds like this girl is just after friends attention and she wouldn't take it any further.

I also spoke to my insurance company who advised me what to do if I was to hear from her solicitor etc.

I responded back to the girl in question and explained I had contacted my training provider who assured me that it is very unlikely her lashes will fall out and that it is not possible for the products to cause burning of the skin. I said what is most likely to have happened, is with her eye watering it could have dilluted the solution and a small aou has seeped into her eye. I said to her unfortunately these things can sometimes happen.

She responded by saying I should contact the company 'just to let them know that there products actually CAN burn the skin!!' and that SOME of her eyelashes have fallen out but not all of them.:rolleyes: How would one know if Some of there eyelashes had fallen out?

Anyway, I have done another lash lift and tint this morning which went fine and the client was very pleased with the results! I have also contacted some that I did last week and asked them to write a short testimonial on my page which they have done, so all is good. I just can't understand why this girl has acted the way she has,I've done nothing but be accommodating to her!

But hey ho, Live & Learn xx

sorry to hear this.glad its sorted..but realllyy just want to say i HAAATTTEEE over the top over exagerrating attention seeking people...ino a few!!!lol

Good for you for sorting this out. This girl def sounds like an attention seeking nightmare!!

Make sure you fill out your client record cards next time, naughty!

Also it might be worth in investing in an accident book in case you get an further problems during treatments :-D

Thanks to all that posted above. Was very glad to hear your thoughts and advice and felt reassured.

Just thought I would give an update.

I called Salon Systems and told her my story, and was relived when she laughed out loud as I said 'and she is saying the doctor told her her eyelashes would fall out'
She said it is VERY unikely that would happen and as for the 'burns', there is not enough peroxide in the solutions to cause burns. Like beauty_sarah said, sensitivity/stinging maybe but not actual burning of the skin.

She asked if I had done a patch test and was insured etc, and said i would be fine, I did explain to her that I had not filed out a consultation form on the day but she said (from what I told her) it sounds like this girl is just after friends attention and she wouldn't take it any further.

I also spoke to my insurance company who advised me what to do if I was to hear from her solicitor etc.

I responded back to the girl in question and explained I had contacted my training provider who assured me that it is very unlikely her lashes will fall out and that it is not possible for the products to cause burning of the skin. I said what is most likely to have happened, is with her eye watering it could have dilluted the solution and a small aou has seeped into her eye. I said to her unfortunately these things can sometimes happen.

She responded by saying I should contact the company 'just to let them know that there products actually CAN burn the skin!!' and that SOME of her eyelashes have fallen out but not all of them.:rolleyes: How would one know if Some of there eyelashes had fallen out?

Anyway, I have done another lash lift and tint this morning which went fine and the client was very pleased with the results! I have also contacted some that I did last week and asked them to write a short testimonial on my page which they have done, so all is good. I just can't understand why this girl has acted the way she has,I've done nothing but be accommodating to her!

But hey ho, Live & Learn xx

I'm glad you got this sorted out but i bolded the section that made me laugh out loud :p Someone should advise her that lashes (like hair everywhere on the body) do fall out, so i highly doubt her falling lashes have anything to do with you :hug:

I've had lash tints and perms for years along with LVL , yes sometimes can sting more than others but never have my lashes fallen out! And agree with other poster why would doctor say, or even know the rest of her lashes will fall out! Total drama queen !!

I'm sorry to hear of your woes and I'm sure you're relieved at the outcome.

Couple of things though...

Unless you are an independent nurse prescriber you CANNOT "suggest" any medication, whether over the counter or prescription, to a client. You have no idea whether she may be allergic to them, or that they are contraindicated if she is taking certain other meds.

I would not have continued the treatment after she had complained of the stinging.

You will always get people complaining on Facebook etc; it's even more important nowadays to ensure that you're whiter than white. Businesses can be, and have been, brought down by malicious reviews on Trip Advisor and the like.

Do I agree with the litigious culture? No, but I sure as hell protect myself and my business from it.

I'm glad you got this sorted out but i bolded the section that made me laugh out loud :p Someone should advise her that lashes (like hair everywhere on the body) do fall out, so i highly doubt her falling lashes have anything to do with you :hug:

Heehee I thought this was funny too. I did tell her that eyelashes do fall out at the end of their life cycle. Some people :irked: xx

I am sending you lots of positive vibes my lovely Carole. xoxox

Start making it your policy to do a consult on every single client.
Ask her to come in immediately so that you can take a look at what has happened. Take your own photos and draw your own detailed diagram of what has happened.
If you believe there is a calming treatment that is appropriate then do it (free of charge), but at the end of the she has had a reaction so don't aggravate it further if you dont need to. But you really want to ensure she keeps in contact with you during this process.
I dont think her eyebrows will fall out but I think the main thing to come from this is always do a consult. And make sure that everything you do from here displays that you did everything possible to ensure you were not negligent.
Hope that helps.

Unless you are an independent nurse prescriber you CANNOT "suggest" any medication, whether over the counter or prescription, to a client. You have no idea whether she may be allergic to them, or that they are contraindicated if she is taking certain other meds.

I find this interesting becsause our tutor actually advised us in the future to tell clients to take an anti histamine if they take a mild reaction causing redness or itchyness.

I currently work in a pharmacy and would be inclined when I have clients to be careful how I word things so not to offer medical advice. E.g. "an antihistamine might help, if you can get to your local chemist ask to speak to the pharmacist and they can advise what will work best for you". That way its the pharmacist who will be advising and of course if a Dr needed to be seen, the pharmacist would advise them of that also.

I find this interesting becsause our tutor actually advised us in the future to tell clients to take an anti histamine if they take a mild reaction causing redness or itchyness.

I currently work in a pharmacy and would be inclined when I have clients to be careful how I word things so not to offer medical advice. E.g. "an antihistamine might help, if you can get to your local chemist ask to speak to the pharmacist and they can advise what will work best for you". That way its the pharmacist who will be advising and of course if a Dr needed to be seen, the pharmacist would advise them of that also.

I actually say to my clients that other clients find if they take an anti histamine they find their hives calm down much quicker or aren't as prominent. I also say if you're on any other meds though please speak to the pharmacist first. That way I'm not actually prescribing I'm just giving advice. But I'm covering my back too.

My clients who do have problems with waxing are always very thankful for my advice.

Latest posts

Back