Look at the photo ...& tell me my problem!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~bec~

Reaction score
Open the following link, look at the photo and pretty please tell me what i am doing wrong, why is this happening???

http://www.naileuphoria.com/photo_pages/carol.htm

I am using Brisa. This is 1 week after a reballance. The gel has lifted from almost the entire nail plate!!!!!!!!!!

I must be doing something wrong. This is happening to 2-4 nails on 30% of my clients.

Is the gel too thin on the nail plate and too thick on the edge? Am i not waiting for the liquid bond to dry...trapping moisture??? Are the clients nails too brittle??

Any suggestions will be welcomed!!!xxoo

From the piccie I would say the following:

There is still quite a bit of caggage around the cuticle so are you really prepping them as much as you can? Looks like there is a lot more work there to me hun.

Do you fully dehydrate the nail with scrubfresh before apply liquid bond?

When you apply that first thin layer of gel this is to act as a bonding layer so you really need to stipple it into every nook and cranny remembering to leave a gap around the cuticle and side walls. If you don't get this layer right then it won't matter how well you apply the rest it just doesn't bond as well. Those nails look quite ridge so you need to be extra meticulous - gel can be a fussy bugger sometimes and the slightest excuse and it'll misbehave lol!

Hope you don't mind me being so critical, but you asked for help!:Love:

Can I also say that the gel looks as though it it toughing the skin/side walls which will cause it to lift.

Hiya...i have suffered from breaks but never anything like that...just a couple of things spring to mind. After cuticle remover and cuticle removed make sure you then remove the cuticle remover really well (scrubfresh alone wont remove it) you need some citusoak and water mix. Remove the shine from the nail with a 240 file, plenty of scrubfresh so they squeek, then bond, then scrub the first very thin layer into the nail. then carry on as normal.

Great smile lines by the way...xxxx

Its great to hear all of this.... keep it comming!!!

I will try every bit of advice that is given. Its stressing me out a little and i want to overcome this problem, dont want it to overcome me!!!!

odd that its only the one...if it was poor prep surely it would be on more of em....looks a bit 'shattered' not bashed was it?

stumped mate i am no expert i hasten to add having a few probs myself!!

Amb x

Bec..did you say it was only 1 nail...and 1 client....is she using any cleaning products without gloves or what does she do for a living...or is it more than one client/nail. xxx

If your prep is a bit lacking on some fingers it can affect just the odd one. I only wear an enhancement on my thumb as it splits vertically and is very painful if you catch and would rip off the whole nail (ouch). I spoke to Geeg about it as I would ALWAYS get lifting in one corner. She said that you really have to get in there and get all that non living tissue out . So that's what I did, had a mega clearout and voila - NO LIFTING (thanks Gig).

If you look at the nail on the left there are big potato fields along the side walls!! If you apply the gel over this then there is not a good seal and moisture will get under it causing it to lift, once it starts it could get as bad as this, and a few extra knocks by your client will help it along its way too!

It is constantly happening to her pointers and thumbs. Never the ring or pinkies, occasionaly the middle fingers.

• Im not using citrisoak, i get the client to wash her hands with soap and water.
  • If anything, i feel i am using too much scrubfresh.
  • Her cuticles are crazy, so it is possible i need to spend more time when removing them.
  • Also, im not 'scrubbing' the bonding layer into the nail. I am only painting it on.
(just an update on what im doing LOL !!!!)

Im paying particular attention in leaving a thin margin around her cuticle and side walls, but its quite possible i could of touched the side walls. But would you get this much lifing from that in one week??? Do you guys agree or disagree??? xxoo

the pointer finger looks more dehydrated than the pinky. (dunno quite what im getting at!! lol. just observing!)

also, look carefully at the base of the gel, at the cuticle. it looks uneven as though it has been picked.

dont forget the index and middle finger take most of the wear and tear.

IMO if it was something YOU were doing or a fault in the product id have thought it would show in all 10 nails.

just one thing..maybe be clutching at straws here but....ask her if she uses those 2 fingers for squeezing teabags out....? i had that once but they where stained as well as lifted. xx

if i touch the skin with my gel if lifts after days

in my experience...lifting would happen within 24 / 48 hours definately if improper prep or touching the sidewalls.

I now use the citru soak tip....

I also have been kind of polish applying first layer....not scrubbing which seems to be the key.

i have recently been told to only bond 2 nails at a time.....not all as i was doing (thanks geeg).

Keep trying !

ambx

For a living, the client is a teacher. She has made a comment that she notices her nails lifting after she scrubs the pots and pans.

Man, am i going to ensure my prep is good :smack: .

~bec~ said:
It is constantly happening to her pointers and thumbs. Never the ring or pinkies, occasionaly the middle fingers.
  • Im not using citrisoak, i get the client to wash her hands with soap and water.
  • If anything, i feel i am using too much scrubfresh.
  • Her cuticles are crazy, so it is possible i need to spend more time when removing them.
  • Also, im not 'scrubbing' the bonding layer into the nail. I am only painting it on.
(just an update on what im doing LOL !!!!)

Im paying particular attention in leaving a thin margin around her cuticle and side walls, but its quite possible i could of touched the side walls. But would you get this much lifing from that in one week??? Do you guys agree or disagree??? xxoo

I can speak from experience with my own nails using Brisa, and I had a nightmare with sidewall lifting, they didn't even last a week. I thorougly prepped and ensured I left a margin round the sidewalls but I was flummuxed (Sp?) I finally discovered that although I had left a margin it wasn't enough. You know when you hold the finger to apply the gel, well you sort of pull the skin away from the sides of the nail don't you... well I was finding that the moment I let go (my nails have deep sidewalls ) then the skin would come in contact with the gel by the time the nails were under the lamp. I left more of a margin and hey presto no lifting what so ever.

My point is, we think we've left a margin but it isn't always enough. Especially if the client has slightly more bulbous skin surrounding the sidewalls.

NailStyle said:
just one thing..maybe be clutching at straws here but....ask her if she uses those 2 fingers for squeezing teabags out....? i had that once but they where stained as well as lifted. xx

I never thought of this!!!! I know she drinks herbal tea!!!!!

True, we think we are doing every thing right, but sometimes we might not be. Thats why i wanted to hear from you guys........to hear what everyone has to say and to put it all into action and hopefully solve my problem. xxoo

It looks opaque like its lifted in the piccie, but it seems as if its two layers and the base layer is still firmly attached to the nail nearer the cuticle, it looks shiney like the pinkie pic. it's the bit on top that looks like lifting if you know what i mean? did it actually lift up from the nail or just look like a funny colour?

Aspirations said:
It looks opaque like its lifted in the piccie, but it seems as if its two layers and the base layer is still firmly attached to the nail nearer the cuticle, it looks shiney like the pinkie pic. it's the bit on top that looks like lifting if you know what i mean? did it actually lift up from the nail or just look like a funny colour?

The enhancement is lifted off the nail plate, however, as you have noticed, there is a tiny amoung of product near the cuticle that is still attached!!

I'm glad I read this thread.

I recently bought the whole Brisa system and have started doing it on clients. The first one I did it on comes in next week for her first rebalance with the gel and I'm nervous to see if she's had any lifting like your picture shows!

They looked gorgeous when I was done with them but who knows what 2 weeks will bring!

Latest posts

Back