Losing my clients to the nailbar in market

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Monroe

Reaction score
so as it says lots of my clients are having their nails one there, so today is my day off and i decided to check them out.

firstly the price is the same so its not that reason

i had a full set done i asked for clear tips with pink nad white but was told i couldn't have this and must have white tips. hmmm

the young lad didn't speak to me and the whole place wasn't very tidy or welcoming. so its not that either

the brush he used was the full sizeof my finger nail and he didn't do the 3 zone thing just all in one go!

he did use electric files on me. I can't comment on these as i don't know about them but if there ok to use it saves alot of time.

he was finishedin 45 mins!! i did ask for my free airbrushnail art but was told i could only have that on clear tips??

so any ideas on why clients prefer this to salons?

OK, this might sound like a daft answer....but why not ask your cleints this?

I'd say to them something like

" I've noticed a few people starting to go there, and obviously there is some reason that they are doing so, I'd love to know that reason, so I can consider incorporating this into my service. Is there anything in particular that makes you choose there over here and would you still go there if I was to provide that same service" Pitched right, people will answer honestly.

I'm certainly not saying this of you at this point....but I do believe that this happens to a lot of techs and they don't ask the question, as they are somewhat afriaid of the answer.

I personally think there are two types of clients. There are the ones that want their nails done - quick and don't want to spend time being pampered. They are all about the result. And then there are the clients that need to take their two hours out every 3 weeks, as its their little treat. The first will be very attracted to somewhere quick....the second, to the type of salon I like (and hopefully run!), which is all about feelgood factor.

That said, if you recognise the difference between these clients, maybe you can incorporate something in your service menu that would satisfy them....like Popits? Or even just a quicker set. I have some ladies who I know like their 2 hours of talking and chat, and then there are my 'in a hurry clients' with whom i can knock a full set out in just over an hour?

I'm sure you'll find something.....its all about recognising the type of client and what drives them. Good luck!

I dunno hun...I never see anyone in the one in my town tbh.
Do you think your timing is too long or had any problems at all?
Are your clients of the younger generation (Gawd that's made me feel old!!) and don't want to have to book in?
Don't give up hun try some advertising and some new ideas if you can xx
There's not much point trying to compete with the NSS but you can warn folk about damage to the natural nail and MMA....which btw did you have appled to you?:eek:
I hope not x

You know I think people are like sheep....

Have you ever seen it where there are two cafe's side by side....one is busy the other empty ( in Javea this is a good example lol )....

Now they pretty much have the same prices...similar menu etc...

Why is this?

Because people are like sheep....if they see a lot of people going to the same place they follow....

If you are offering the same prices etc...
then maybe it is just down to the 'sheep' mentality pure and simple...
and speed aswell....

Frustrating though isn't it?

My nearest town of Hemel, there are at least 4 of those nail bars that you describe... I personally hated the ones where they didn't speak to me/or just couldn't. Some of them were frankly brutal.

I actually didn't like anything about any of them and the one I liked in the end was run by people from Vietnam, they were very friendly and talkative and took their time, it was a smaller shop too it seemed more welcoming.

I gave up getting my nails done totally a few years ago, because I just couldn't be bothered getting them done anymore, it was just mind blowingly boring and I couldn't justify the maintenance/cost..

:idea:If the other shop is busy, then maybe have a look at your own shop and see if there's any improvements or changes you can make to it? If the prices are the same, then you are right, it isn't that, so maybe can you ask someone you know to ask a friend (who doesn't know you) to go by your shop and give their honest opinion on your shops image!

Sorry to go on but this might just be the problem. I don't know. I worked in marketing for a long time so I hope i have some justification here!

Whatever it is I hope things improve for you soon very good luck.

Hi Carla
As 1999Judy says, these clients might just prefer the convenience of not having to book in? And when you say "the market" do you mean the main market in town? If so, it could just be location, one of the reasons I don't get my nails done is that I haven't found a good salon near to where I live (in Beeston) and none of the ones in town look that great either. I don't drive or I would definitely come to you!

Is this salon really an NSS salon? I think we are possibly starting to overuse this phrase, when sometimes some salons and nailbars are really more discount salons, turning out cheaper and quicker nails.
Non Standard Salons. are really :

Salons that are....untrained...unkept...dirty...unsafe....use MMA...cause nail damage...un insured....

to quote Bagpuss on an earlier thread.

The salon you have described does not seem to fit in to those categories.
The nail tech is obviously quite rigid in the type of nails he does and does not do bespoke nails!!
The one ball method is a quicker way of doing nails which is why he can turn (or churn) them out in 45 minutes.

Maybe you should be marketing yourself to a more discerning client who will want a more individual or bespoke look. HTH

sorry i do not know what is ment by nss nail bar i didn't write this my title was changed

we have about 8 NSS in my town and i have lost some clients to them as well. I did ask them what the difference was and most said quickness and they last longer. They can do nails in 45 mins i do mine in 11/2hrs and theres last and last,mine tend to come off in about 2/3 weeks. The pros on my side are i take care of the natural nail when applying L&P/gel and the nails always look good afterwards and i always seralize and wash my hands in front of my clients they don't and they ruin the natural nail underneath. So why do people still go there i ask myself....

Make sure you tell your customers about the basic + extra hygiene steps you take. Most women have no idea about the bad practicies of NSS. I am just pedantic in researching things which is how I found this great forum & the valuable info on nails. Most girls don't do that - they just go and get their nails done.

If they realise the bad problems that NSS salons can create - and how diligent you are - they'd be mad to leave!

Tracey, it's great that you wash your hands in front of clients. I would be very impressed if I was a client of yours!

What was their prep like? Did they sanitize yours/their hands first and remove cuticle from nail place etc.? I only ask because I still find it difficult to see how a full set of tip and overlay can be done in 45 minutes when doing a thorough prep. Having said this I take 2 hours at the moment so it's no wonder.

My prep seems to be the longest part of the process sometimes depending on the client and how well they take care of their hands/nails.

If people are loosing clients that I've got no chance because I've got to get some yet.

I think the answer is purely and simply ... TIME.

Most all of us will do anything to save time and even put up with not so nice conditions and pain etc if the end result is good and the job is done quicker.

One of the reasons using PopIts is a Godsend when you are competing with salons like the one you describe is that you can also do a full set in 30 minutes AND you don't have to use drills or harsh prep with a file.

If TIME is what those clients want to save and they want a good result that will last and last and is beautiful as well and done in nice surroundings then offer PopIts to these ones. I know I like offering the choice and in that way I WIN all the way around.

Ok by reading this thread it sound like something here in the USA where you have the discount nail shop vs a nail tech. You wondering why majority of your clients go to the nail bar even though you went there yourself. Some of your clients have even told you why they went there. Lets see the time and maybe the price. Some techs charge between 25.00 to 40.00 a full set here well they charge 20.00 a set with 3 free nail art.

I can tell you all this the way the Japanese and Chinese nail techs are train where they do the one ball system with a bigger brush. The product they are using is not the normal Acrylic and liquid product that you can buy from a supplier. The next time if you decide to go back ask them what products do they used. Observe how they do there steps in laying out the acrylic and liquid. Just observe what they are doing. My best advice is work on your time. Instead of having a client in a chair for 1 hour learn how to make it less. Most of them dont talk because they realize of the time frame they have.
Another thing instead of appointments why not have walk ins.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back