Make-up afternoon for young teenage girls

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquariushoney

Reaction score
I have been asked by a local church group to do a make-up and skin afternoon for young girls aged from about 12-16. Some of their Mum's are also coming along, but I'd like to focus mainly on the girls as it's their youth group function.

I want to cover basic good skincare, and easy light make-up that they can achieve.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can present this to them?

I would like to do a bit more than just stand in front of them and talk.

I will definately do a demo or two using the girls as models but what else shall I do to make it fun for them?

I was also thinking of making up some handouts for them to take home with little hints and tips. Any ideas on this also?

Has anyone else done this before and what did you do?

Many thanks!!! :) :) :)

Hi babe, dont know where all the skin geeks are tonight, unfortunately im not one of them, but just wanted to offer you some support.

Being teenage girls Im sure what ever you do they will be an attentive audience. I would imagine numbers would ditate as to how interactive you make the session. Make sure you have plenty of take home literature and business cards. Anyway best of luck.

Hi

I did something similar but on a small scale.

I did a basic cleanse, tone on one of the girls talking about what I was doing and why. I was also taking questions and tried to make it a two way process so that they were not just sitting there and I could also demonstrate my knowledge.

I then got one of the girls to come up and put on the mask etc. so that they could have a go. I then made sure it was done properly if you like and warned them not to go near eyes etc. It was quite funny for the people watching and you will find the mums will have stories of what they've done wrong and you can then say "ah yes .. thats why we do ..."

I just made sure it was informal and not too much like a lecture.

The girls will automatically lead you with questions and things and if they are 12-16 they are very enthusiastic and will bombard you with all sorts of things!!

Hope that helps in some way. I was dreading it as I couldnt think what they would possibly want to know etc and I ended up really enjoying myself as they were so enthusiastic.

I find that the more involved you can get your audience then the more they will enjoy it and remember it and you!!

Great advice thanks.
Any more ideas PLEEZE!!!

Samples of make up and clensers, getting them in pairs and getting them to see how to tell what skin type they have.
The correct way to deal with spots so they don't end up with scars.
What ingredients to look for in makeup as good for them, and what to avoid like the plague if they want to stay young looking.
Showing them how to apply eye liner :Scared:and please PLEASE show them how to pick the right shade of foundation:rolleyes:

I remember my girls doing something similar, they loved it.
Showed me a few of the tips and told me of when i cleansed my face the wrong way.lol.

After they were shown the correct way of cleansing etc, the kids got into pairs and practised on each other, applying face masks etc. Lots of giggles and laughter.

The women didn't go to much into make up, mainly how to apply foundation and tinted moisturizer.

You will have a brill time, and get asked lots of questions. lol

i did something similar at home with my 13 yr old stepdaughter & a few of her friends cleanse masks toning and moisturising concealing blemishes ect and make-up for discos and daywear ...they enjoyed it with lots of input about shades to match what clothes they wear ...oh don't forget to inform them of removing make-up before bedtime with cleanser and what'll happen if they don't ...one of the s\daughters friends was using soap & water ..EEK :eek:

I can't help thinking that 12 is too young to be encouraging young girls to be wearing makeup. I know I will be flamed for saying that but is there any wonder that we have the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe when we condone little girls dressing in a much more adult way. They might look like grown ups but neither their body nor brain is mature enough to deal with the attention they undoubtedly attract.

I think it depends how you are with your children, my girls were 14,15 and 16 at the time. 15 and 16y just started to become interested in make up, however they were never interested in going out, boys or drinking. (unlike me, at that age i was clubbing).
They started clubbing around 18-19y and are 20 and 21y now with lovely boyfriends and good jobs.
My 14y went along due to the other two going, she has always been big into football, she is now 19y still plays football, in her last year at collage and has a wonderful boyfriend.
None of the girls have ever worn make up everyday, only when they go out in the evening and they wear very little.
They all practise what they were taught, which i think is good, as they have learnt to look after their skin properly, unlike me, lol

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm looking foward to the afternoon.

Just a note, I don't see the relevance between wearing make-up and teen pregnancy??? These are two very seperate issues and make-up isn't related to how girls behave, party, drink....

My daughter began wearing a little bit of play make-up at age 7 as were many of her friends and cousins -just for going out to a show, shopping etc (definately not for school or for everyday).
I don't see anything wrong with a little bit of make-up so long as it's light and pretty and not 'grown up' (no bright red lippy, sclputured cheekbones, thick black eyeliner...)
And, I won't be encouraging the girls to wear it, rather, if they are interested in wearing it, how to apply it appropriately for their age so they still look their age.

Hi Aquarius honey,

I'm a makeup artist and beauty consultant/coach in Tauranga so I'm familiar with what you're trying to do! My business is about giving women confidence with cosmetics and offering honest advice and information. Visit my website at www.abeautifuleducation.co.nz - you may get a couple of ideas? And if it hasn't taken place already, I'm offering my services if I can assist or help you out on the day. :) I'd be happy to work with you on it or turn up with some product you can use to demonstrate etc.

I'm part of Lifechurch on Cameron Rd...what church are you involved with??

xx

-Lillybeth

That does sound like great fun. Has it been on yet? I'm a big believer in teaching young girls how to do these things properly, there is nothing that looks tackier then a young girl wearing makeup that is done all wrong and it's very important at that age to teach them proper skincare.

Hi aquariushoney,
I do beauty presentation (sounds grown up) as part of a skincare consultant and the evening is really good. I set up around their dining table, which includes all the skincare range, mirrors, sponges etc. Once the guests have arrived and are seated I introduce myself, introduce all the products and how they relate to different skin then Iget them to do mini facials in each other. By time all this is done and I have taken orders for the evening time has flown, everyone has had a laugh and a fabulous time and it's time to pack up and go home. Hope this is helpful. As for the mothers, they can go home and return when the presentation is finished. Hopefully the girls will tell their mothers what a fabulous time they had and if you leave your details with the mothers you can make some bookings for them to have the same entertaining evenings. Here's giving you a big hug and I hope all goes well :hug::hug:

Latest posts

Back