Make-up artists: let's share tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be interested to hear this too, lashes are so expensive!

I get some from Capital, they sell salon systems, the liz martin ones and possibly ardells in my local one.

Some I just buy if I like the look of them in Boots. Or Superdrug with points from my beauty card (I spend SO much money on make up that I have loads of points!!).

Yep that's what I do. I love ardell, and sometimes my clients buy their own lashes and I apply them, but I'd like a good stock of them!

I stock up on lashes when Sallys has VAT free days or is offering them for 3 for 2.

I get them from Sally's and MAC but I don't actually use strip lashes all that much, usually on shoots if I'm creating a certain look.

If anyone was thinking bridal, I would suggest avoiding strip lashes unless the bride really wants them or they are very natural ones.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Just wondering if anyone knows of any foundations that have NO titanium dioxide in them? Also, any primers/concealors etc. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hello geeks, I've been reading this thread with interest as I'm getting married in 6 weeks and have decided to do my own makeup...! I'm normally quite confident and am going for a couple of trials beforehand anyway...but interesting to read about avoiding high levels of titanium dioxide and SPF in foundations due to camera flashes. I've been using Bare Minerals for 10 years and its a foundation I'm happy with, but it has a high level of TD..! What can I do??!!

I love the amazing shine lashes that pixiwoo use , they are £1.99 a pair and I get them from amazon. I usually don't like cheap lashes as they are so much harder to put on but these are really good , and they have lots of different options and do a short and extra short length which are great who just want a bit more fullness .
Otherwise I'm an eyelure or ardell and like everyone else stock up on Sally's vat free day or boots 3 for 2

I love the amazing shine lashes that pixiwoo use , they are £1.99 a pair and I get them from amazon. I usually don't like cheap lashes as they are so much harder to put on but these are really good , and they have lots of different options and do a short and extra short length which are great who just want a bit more fullness .
Otherwise I'm an eyelure or ardell and like everyone else stock up on Sally's vat free day or boots 3 for 2
I've seen the Pixiwoo girls use them a lot, but never seen them in shops. So thanks for this, I'm gonna look on Amazon.x

I have never seen them in a shop either, the packaging looks cheap but They are good and easy to apply unlike most cheap lashes

Hi All

Can you plz advise me how many products i.e foundations brands, different
tones and how many sets of brushes I need as I want to add to my makeup kit. Is this all necessary to have alot of foundations concealers primers etc.:rolleyes:

Thanks

Hi All

Can you plz advise me how many products i.e foundations brands, different
tones and how many sets of brushes I need as I want to add to my makeup kit. Is this all necessary to have alot of foundations concealers primers etc.:rolleyes:

Thanks

Hey, I currently carry several different brands for different skin types and finishes, ideally Matt and dewy, full coverage , light etc and have 3 or 4 of each to mix to desired colour , but this has been accumulated over years, when I started a good one to start of with is mac face and body , as it looks good on majority of people and can build the coverage again with a few shades and mix, or you could get a palette with lots of shades , I'm sure graftiobian do one or others can probably suggest more.

As for brushes I have loads, against accumulated over years, i have 2 brush tubes one with face and one with eyes&lips, put all my dirty ones in a seperate bag to take home to clean and then the ones in the tube are ready to use. i like to have mybrushes washed and clean for each client rather than disinfecting them between clients ,unless I have a particullarly big wedding party or several big bookings a day . Crown brush infinity series are good and reasonable, or my others are real techniques and mac.

Madame Madeline is where I buy my lashes from!!! Ardell is the best an very cheap on this site!

Question - how do you stop eye shadows from Falling under the eye/on cheek. I usually use a tissue but there's a few colours I have that the glitter seems to escape.

Help? Or good tips for removing it from skin?

Question - how do you stop eye shadows from Falling under the eye/on cheek. I usually use a tissue but there's a few colours I have that the glitter seems to escape.

Use good quality, fine-milled products.
Always tap your brush before applying.
If there is fall-out use a cotton bud, but don't swipe, roll it across the glitter. hth x

Use good quality, fine-milled products.
Always tap your brush before applying.
If there is fall-out use a cotton bud, but don't swipe, roll it across the glitter. hth x

Thank you!

sorry i'm just a hair geek being nosy but when i'm using dark or glitter eye shadows i dust some loose powder under the eye area to catch any fallout then gently whisk it away with a large soft brush xxx

Using a shadow shield or small piece of Sellotape under the eye helps protect the foundation too! Just make sure the tape is not too sticky if you get what I mean! Lol xx

Normally I clean up under the eyes by leaving the concealer til I'm done with the eyes, or just brush over it with my foundation brush. If I'm doing eyes with a lot of dark or glittery shadows though I generally do the eyes first, clean up then do foundation.

I use airbase for my foundation, so I start with the eyes then do a clean up of any fallen shadow, then prime the face and apply the base, works a treat and is a must for photographic make up as you don't want any eye shadow shimmer/specs left for the camera to pick up, x

I have a quick question (I don't do make up, this is just for my own make up)
I have quite long eyelashes and when I wear waterproof mascara I often find that throughout the day my top eyelashes rub on my eyelids and leave marks, I only seem to have this problem with waterproof mascara but I'd prefer to wear a waterproof product.

Can anyone shed any light on why this might be happening and what I can do differently to stop it? X

Hi,

I have a possible bridal make up in August. She is very pale,mentions that she burns easily and her dress has a sweetheart neckline.

I would like some advice please from geeks regarding sun protection on shoulders, chest and face/cheeks. Foundation is meant to be SPF free to stop flashback. So how can I ensure that she does not experience flashback or burn should the sun choose to appear on her big day. Any help advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

K4ren

Latest posts

Back