Makeup!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dior_kisses

Reaction score
Hi
I want to start my own freelance makeup business, but have no idea on where to start on finding the right cosmetic range to use? can anyone recommend a good makeup wholesalers? and do you know if you can use highstreet cosmetic ranges such as clinique or benefit? thank you any help would be much appreciated.
samantha x

SBC ,purely mineral & Jean Marin are good to start of with and not that bad.if you want to use shop brand such as max factor there's no harm in it just a tad expensive at times MAC ,barry M & gosh are very good...not a biggie on make-up front tbh except on myself have you had a look at any beauty stockist catalogues you can get full kits in Beauty Express: Professional Beauty Products delivered direct to you? log on to their website ask for free catalogue there is a good range to choose from if youv'e heard of this make-up artist here's her site louise young cosmetics - make-up brushes and cosmetics also had a few sessions with louise at college ..she knows her stuff..good luck xxjxx

Last edited:
hey

my friend is a makeup artist for MAC she uses Mac and Benefit and Cannel. she says the makeup in Ellisons and other places like that are rubbish as there cheap! she says to go for things like MAC, Benefit etc she says it mite cost a fair bit but you can build your kit as you go and will get far better results than makeup from Ellisons etc.
Hope this helps

designer all the way love, my colleague in the beauty room stopped using "salon" brand cos it had a fast melt down time and often contained undesirable ingredients that broke her out so she didnt use it on any clients, she just uses the counters stuff, like benefit, givenchy and lancome etc. . x

Hi Hun! Im a makeup artist-have been doing it years so have a fair amount of exp on whats good and whats not! Also had the priviledge of being trained by the top artists in the industry so had the chance to pick their brains on products too! Sorry to say this, but DONT go for the cheaper brands, the pigments simply dont last they arent as durable as your top brands (check out Charles Fox and Faceto Face for professional products-though I wouldnt rec all the stuff they sell) There is no set brand to pick and then use that and only that-as you gain more exp youl most likely find that you delve in and out of ranges, I use MAC(brushes are fab), lauder (double wear is amazing) chanel and erm......a few other bits and pieces here n there! I know its a lot more expensive, but you do get what you pay for!!!! It depends what kind of work your doing also, editorial/bridal etc? Sorry to ramble, hth!
x

Hi, as fluffystuff said it is best to use the more expensive brands as they really do last. I have a wide range in my kit as I work mainly doing bridal, occasion makeup and I need the makeup to last. I use MAC, face to face, screenface, benefit, bobbi brown, etc. It does cost a small fortune to build up a decent kit but it is worth it for the results you get. Also if you are qualified beauty therapist I think you are entitled to a discount if you sign up to mac pro. I know as a makeup artist I get 30% (it cost £25 a year for membership) may be worth looking into as that can save you quite a bit of money when starting out. hth:)

Before spending any money on products you need to do some training in make up first so that you can get your insurance to work on the public hth

I Have Been A Make Up Artist And Wedding Specilist For 8 Years Now, I Use A Wide Range Of Make Up But I Do Find The Precious Range From Ellisons Excelent The Foundations Are Light To Wear And Last All Day And Have A Wide Range Of Colours For Pale To Dark Skin Wich Is Excelent As Well, But I Have Also Found The Maxfactor Age Renewal Fantastic Again It Is Light To Wear And Stays On Fantastic And Also Alot Of Foundations Enfesise Wrinkels And Creases In The Skin As Wear This One Dose Not I Have Had So Many Mothers Of The Bride Be Amazed At How There Skin Can Look And How Much Younger There Skin Looks, It Dose What It Says On The Jar! But For Most Eye Make I Do Use The Precious Range. Good Luck For You Buisness I Love What I Do And Would'nt Change It For The World.

do you have to buy Bobbi Brown retail, or is there a wholesaler version?

Hi Hunny. Someone reccommended the Louise Young range. I was actually trained by her, she is fab, work on TV, films, etc. When I was at college she missed a couple of lessons, due to working with Jude Law on Alfie:eek: So I think she knows her stuff! She told us to shop around, she used loads of different makes, but as already said, she told us to avoid the really cheap stuff, as your livelyhood depends on not bringing someone out in a rash or whatever!

She has a range of brushes in her own name, but she imports a range of make up from europe, called Make-Up Studio. Website Welkom bij Make-Up*Studio. I saw the range at Olympia this year, the colours were so vibrant, and they do various sizes of pallettes of lipcolours and eyeshadows, really is a brilliant way for a make-up artist to carry lots of colours in minimal space.

I have to tell you, if Louise reccommends it, I'd have no problems whatsoever in using it on the public! I believe she even makes up kits for colleges, so could probably get a kit together for you.

Hope that helps, and good luck:hug:

I use Royal Effem- I was trained by Tina Elliott-Hunt and this is the brand that she uses to train with at The Makeover Studio. I bought a basic kit and have then topped it up along the way. I also have Bare Escentuals, Bobbi Brown and a few other tried and tested bits. The foundations are brilliant and have fantastic staying power. If you want to retail to your clients as well the delivery is very quick.
The one thing not to skimp on is your brushes. Get as good a quality set as you can afford.

Latest posts

Back