Male pedi client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlegrohl

Reaction score
hi geeks..
did a consult on a new client yesterday and have a few issues i could use some advice on.

The gentleman is overweight.. to the point where he is bordering on obese.
He says he does not suffer diabetes but does suffer from High Blood pressure..
He is on his feet at work all day and suffers terribly bad cracked heels and callouses, and very sore feet, sometimes feels pain through out the night.
I should also add that he has large varicose veins running down his shins, and around his ankles.
He is being monitored by his dr for his weight and told me his doctor advised him to get treatments on his feet rather then buy a foot spa.

after consulting my Educator i have decided to use

Raw Earth CND
keep the water temp a touch cooler then i usually would.
and treat the callouses over time.. slowly.

question..

Does anyone else treat clients with High Blood Pressure
should i have his dr's certificate first
and after looking back over my notes i cant find any contra's for High Blood pressure
Plus whats the best product for cracked heels.. does anyone use heel socks the moisturizing ones. Im thinking these may help if worn through the night.

thanks guys

Last edited:
I don't know how true it is but I was tolled to be careful when massaging people with high Blood Pressure.

I don't know how true it is but I was tolled to be careful when massaging people with high Blood Pressure.

yeah I'm sure that's true.. I have been researching High Blood Pressure and there are a few things I'm concerned about.

Mainly the fact that he is on his feet all day for work, and i would hate to do anything to flare up the callouses.. Omg, im freaking myself out here..

help~~ :eek:

Not much help here I'm afraid..............but I have had high blood pressure for twenty years and I must admit have never heard that you have to be careful with massage unless of course you are using aromatherapy oils.

Would love to here what else you have found !!!!!

Would love to here what else you have found !!!!!

[FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF]Don't work in way that makes clients hold breath. Deep work on uncontrolled high blood pressure patients should be with medical supervision (deep bodywork often RAISES blood pressure).

[/FONT]High blood pressure is not a contraindication unless it is not under control by medication. One reason why it may be a contraindication is that if a person with high blood pressure gets a massage an experiences anxiety, their blood pressure could rise.

There has been no scientifically verified trials published showing that essential oils raise blood pressure. However, there is anecdotal evidence for both raising and lowering blood pressure. Although no evidence is available indicating any harm has been caused, if there is an effect, then it is possible harm may be caused with very sensitive individuals. Therefore although not contra-indicated, caution is warranted until further studies have been completed.

I like the Contra-indicated Vs Cation theory, and i think High blood pressure should be treated with Caution..

My main concern is the callouses.. i have worked on a runner before so i think i will treat it much the same.. slowly slowly and with much care.

I think you are right about the callouses, take it slowly. I would also use and retail Cucumber heel therapy, it makes a great difference on hard skin and I always recommend a a good slathering as they go to bed.

Many thanks, note to one self no deep massages !!! Its amazing really isn't it what you learn about conditions that you have had for a long time , as I said before had no idea about the above !!!!!

Oh and loving the new avator ................really cool nail !

I think you are right about the callouses, take it slowly. I would also use and retail Cucumber heel therapy, it makes a great difference on hard skin and I always recommend a a good slathering as they go to bed.

Thanks for verifying Del, I will look into Cucumber heel therapy, think i remember a thread about that stuff.. I have found some funky moisturizing heel socks that i can retail, but they are infused with peppermint oil, which while i cant find any thing concerning peppermint oil being bad i do recall it being bad for Hbp.. perhaps its safer to stick to Cucumber.

Many thanks, note to one self no deep massages !!! Its amazing really isn't it what you learn about conditions that you have had for a long time , as I said before had no idea about the above !!!!!

Oh and loving the new avator ................really cool nail !

Thank you, I wanted to do a different take on the fancy french.. Unfortunately the LoL is off, which i will fix now that i see it.. amazing what you pick up from photo's.
..and you are so right, I have learned many things i would never have had a clue about had i not looked into things further..
:hug:

i would be careful with the calluses and cracked heels....as if they are that sore it would indicate they are open wounds (you dont want them to bcome infected).....remove what hard skin you can comfortably but make sure they they know they ned to come back regularly.
Do you have any CND remove?? This can also be put on callus's and works quite effectively because of the fruit acid content.....similarly to the sea serum......just makes sure it is washed off. i would definately retail some cucumber heel therapy for an aftercare treatment....but will they use it???? hense encouraging them to come in to you regular.

i would be careful with the calluses and cracked heels....as if they are that sore it would indicate they are open wounds (you dont want them to bcome infected).....remove what hard skin you can comfortably but make sure they they know they ned to come back regularly.
Do you have any CND remove?? This can also be put on callus's and works quite effectively because of the fruit acid content.....similarly to the sea serum......just makes sure it is washed off. i would definately retail some cucumber heel therapy for an aftercare treatment....but will they use it???? hense encouraging them to come in to you regular.

I did a consult and had a look at his feet.. the heels are very cracked and the callouses are very hard, but no open wounds.
I told him before i started i would need at least 4 sessions and he is very keen.. Thanks for the advice mate, ill defo use the remover on them.. Im pretty sure he is keen to get his feet fixed up, so he better use his after care products!! :confused:

I have just started using a product called Callus Peel in my salon and we've had good results on thick, hard skin on the heels . . . they have a website but don't have the address with me right now - why don't you take a look?
It works by softening the very hard skin so you can just scrape it away.

BTW I do NOT work for the company! :)

Good luck with your gent.

High blood pressure, which is not being controlled by medication is a contra-indication to massage. I personally would of written to their G.P first (with their permission).

If I didn't have time to contact G.P before their treatment I would only do a basic pedi, with moisturiser only lightly applied not massaged in.

High blood pressure, which is not being controlled by medication is a contra-indication to massage. I personally would of written to their G.P first (with their permission).

If I didn't have time to contact G.P before their treatment I would only do a basic pedi, with moisturiser only lightly applied not massaged in.

I know he is being treated and controlled by his GP as i asked him what medication he was on while doing his consult.. ( I wanted to check that he was not on something i should be concerned about..)

I have decided that the first pedi will be done tuesday as planned but i will not be doing my usual "sweet feet treat"
I have a full hour to fill for him so the massage will be shortened and only light touch. I will focus more on the callous and heels.. I want to make sure he gets his money's worth.. any ideas??

I have decided to include his shins and calf muscles in the treatment.. but in doing so i want a written letter from his GP.. Im 100% sure this man is telling me the truth, but i want to know for sure that i will not make his condition worse.

Thanks to all for your help and advice x

Oh sorry I misunderstood you. If he's being medicated then it's less of a problem. Especially with a GP letter.
Hope it goes well.:cool:

Perhaps to make sure you can fill the hour he could have a foot mask and while its working he could have a light hand massage and nail tidy?

Last edited:
Oh sorry I misunderstood you. If he's being medicated then it's less of a problem. Especially with a GP letter.
Hope it goes well.:cool:

Perhaps to make sure you can fill the hour he could have a foot mask and while its working he could have a light hand massage and nail tidy?

BRILLIANT!! Thank you, I'm going to tweak my service for him today so im prepared for him tomoro.. just go over it and make sure i can fill the hour.. thanks for the advice.:green:
I think he would love a bit of a spruce up!

let us know how you get on with our client today chels
xx

thanks sian..
It went very well.. he has rebooked for next week.. (we are going to do weekly pedi's for the first 4 weeks then go to every two weeks after that.. I have pictures that i took so i can do a before and after..and with his permission use as a promotional tool for my sweet feet treat)
I also got a $20 tip.. (big grin)

Thanks for the advice and the help guys.. i felt confident and pleased with the end result.
P.S i did a hand massage and tidy while he had an intense treatment so thanks for that gem of advice!!

Latest posts

Back