Manicure bowls

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think for a normal polish manicure it's really important to soak the nails. I use a round bowl with finger holes in the top think it was from ellisons hth x

I think for a normal polish manicure it's really important to soak the nails.
I disagree. I don't soak before regular polish for the same reasons I don't soak before gel polish.

But to stay on topic, I used to have a manicure bowl before I knew not to soak and I got it in capital.

Well I've used one for the past 15 years and will continue to do so

Well I've used one for the past 15 years and will continue to do so

It is important to upgrade our knowledge as new scientific information comes out frequently. The only way to stay on top of our game is to keep learning new things and offering our clients the best. Sorry to have to state the obvious but water manicures are a thing of the past.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

I use the same manicure bowl above. I do soak the fingers in the bowl with warm water and little soap. I file, shape and buff the nails, apply cuticle remover and soak for ONLY about 5 minutes per hand. When I remove cuticle and I'm ready to polish, I clean the nails with synergy wipe or alcohol (it dehydrates the nail so really the soaking will not absorb the polish) and then go ahead and polish. I have NEVER had a problem with my clients nails absorbing the polish or cracking, etc.

I use the same manicure bowl above. I do soak the fingers in the bowl with warm water and little soap. I file, shape and buff the nails, apply cuticle remover and soak for ONLY about 5 minutes per hand. When I remove cuticle and I'm ready to polish, I clean the nails with synergy wipe or alcohol (it dehydrates the nail so really the soaking will not absorb the polish) and then go ahead and polish. I have NEVER had a problem with my clients nails absorbing the polish or cracking, etc.

The soaking will not absorb the polish, but in a short couple of minutes it absorbs the water. That is where the problem is, the nail plate will swell up with said water. I assume you push back/remove the cuticle with a "scraping" motion which will damage the swollen and now sensitive nail plate, causing damage. You may think you have dehydrated the nail but the water is still in there. Once you have finished the pilish application and sent them on their way that absorbed water will evaporate and the nail plate shrinks back to its original size, and well, the polish now does not 'fit' that nail, causing chipping and short wear.
It really takes only a couple of minutes of soaking.

I shall be taking all this on board! What do you do about pedicures? Do you not soak their feet either?

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

I use Cuccio products and they say to soak for a couple of mins. I did my manicure certificate with NSI Spa Rituals and they also say to soak - I'm a newbie and this is all v confusing. To soak or not to soak....

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I think it's personal preference, I never have any problems as nails are only in the water a while and probably soak up the same amount as when you wash them under a tap!! And I would never do a pedicure without soaking that's just crazy talk lol😃

There is a really good thread here somewhere on the soaking v's non soaking. I think it's called 'to soak or not to soak'. So to answer the OP's actual question, I think Ikea or other cheap home stores would be a good start.
Also when you go food shopping, have a look at the food prep aisle. I was looking for a caviar bowl set up as seen in the CND videos, but these were very expensive. I picked up a glass bowl in Waitrose the other day that is cone shaped but with a flat bottom, so perfect to sit inside another dish and it was only a few quid.

Check out supermarkets and other homewares stores.

When I soaked, I used a flattish glass bowl - it looks prettier than plastic, and you're not gonna be dunking a whole hand in the water. Just be mindful of slippery fingers!

I also used to add in a few small pebbles for 'interest'.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I use a small glass bowl for soaking during manicures. Hardly do them now though as people prefer the longevity of Gelish.

If they want a hand scrub etc as well then I use a large bowl of quite warm water or they can use the sink nearby in the salon. But whilst mobile it's a bowl.

For my CND Spa Manicure I use the almond oil soak in a smallish wide glass bowl which is sat in a larger wide ceramic dish filled with hot water, which was originally sold as a pot pourri bowl from Asda so check out the supermarkets too, not just the salon wholesalers 😃

Would you be able to take a picture for me by any chance?

Here you go. I've put my bottle of solar oil in it so you can gauge the size 😀

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1395516891.619197.jpg

Check out supermarkets and other homewares stores.

When I soaked, I used a flattish glass bowl - it looks prettier than plastic, and you're not gonna be dunking a whole hand in the water. Just be mindful of slippery fingers!

I also used to add in a few small pebbles for 'interest'.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

OMG this is what I did too back in the days of soaking lol I am sooo glad Im done with that "rubish" because scrubbing and spraying each pebble with a disinfectant after every client took away precious time. Ain't no one got time for that ;)

Here you go. I've put my bottle of solar oil in it so you can gauge the size 😀

View attachment 59712

Wow that's beautiful. My clients love having their hands in a lovely smelling soak with a nice scrub paraffin wax into heated mitts and so on. They think it's the best and are willing to pay for the luxury of it.

They definitely are! With regards to the longevity of the polish, I use Vinylux and a client returned today and said they lasted 7 days. That was with the full spa manicure including warm oil/milky soak. She loved it ❤️

It is important to upgrade our knowledge as new scientific information comes out frequently. The only way to stay on top of our game is to keep learning new things and offering our clients the best. Sorry to have to state the obvious but water manicures are a thing of the past.

Love this statement! With regards to doctors, ever heard of the term "practicing medicine"? When you get your qualification, that doesn't mean the learning stops. Keeping up with science is so important in our industry!

They definitely are! With regards to the longevity of the polish, I use Vinylux and a client returned today and said they lasted 7 days. That was with the full spa manicure including warm oil/milky soak. She loved it ❤️

Vinylux IS a 7 day wear. The longevity of it goes much further than 7 days without soaking, just ask my clients :)

I'm sorry I just have to state as the OP that this conversation is ridiculous. I asked for advice on bowels. Not your opinions on to soak or not to soak. I don't really care for your statements on it all so please stop hijacking the thread. If you don't have something helpful to say about a flipping bowel, then don't say anything as all. Now for those of you who have and do have advice on a lovely bowel, or any other luxury ideas on SOAKING I would love some ideas. I recently bought some lovely flowers to float in my foot spa and bowel for the client to walk into and see. I also thought about some hot stones in my footsie spa. I have glass beads in my mani bowel. Any other tips or ideas?

Latest posts

Back