Marketing Geek Needing Nail Teks Views - Please Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs Geek

Sweet Heart
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hey guys & Happy Halloween,

It's David here from the Marketing Dept at the Hyperion Group (I’ve forgot my password…oops :o :rolleyes:…so am using Mrs Geeks’ username instead).:smack:

Being a Marketing Geek I’m just doing some Market Research and am really interested to pick your brains on something.

We all know how much you guys love the industry, and how passionate you all are about nails. So, I am interested to know what it was that first attracted you to the industry? Was it because you were a nail client already? Were you artistic and just knew you could do it? Whatever the reasons..tell me about it. As always, your help is hugely appreciated….:hug:

Cheers,
David

i did a minicure course while doing hairdressing 15 yrs ago and always wanted to do enhancements but just did hair, after having my son 5 yrs ago i did my first course and loved it :green:

Yes and yes! I was a nail client in our local nail bar. I wanted to get out of the rat race as I had been in field sales for too long and wanted to get back to my artistic roots. I had thought about interior design, but one evening I was walking past the nail bar and :idea: :idea: :idea: I thought "i'd like to do that!" The owner was there and we got chatting, and I got a job as a trainee on £3.70 an hour at the age of 37!!!! But I love it and would never go back to a proper job ... I have been self employed for the past 5 years.

I used to have my nails done... after one time when i was burned real bad by a e.file i decided enough was enough and i wanted NO ONE to go though that if i could help it.. so on a course i went ..... no more pain:lol:

I started off by looking for something to do at home and work round the kids school hours. A friend of mine suggested nails as in manicures. I researched courses and trained at college then Jessica.

I advertised and kept getting calls about enhancements which I didnt do. I had to train or have no business. I had never seen enhancements or had them done so I went in blind so to speak.

I think there are lots of people that go in the route of having their nails done and not wanting to pay out every two weeks for a poor service and get the bug to do better themselves.

I used to be a nail client & I used to think, I would like to do this. I got bored with my life at the age of 19 & wanted to do something different, its the best thing I have ever done !!

Hi david ... i was a nail techs client 1st.... had my enhancements done on a regular basis but my reasons are prob different to others as i had a car accident and lost the use of my right arm 3 years ago and i had always been helping people( worked in care and dental surgey) so after about 18 months i had a night out planned 1st in ages and wanted my nails done ... but was way way to embarressed about going and asking for just one hand to be done( othre hand is clawed) so i didnt go .... my mum played a lage part in forcing me to go 3 weeks after that which was supprising ok... was still very embarresed and from then both me and my mum talked about me training to do nails ... i thought is was ludicrous at first but as i have always had a good beauty regime and interested in nails i gave it ago... i found it very very hard at first and nearly quit my course but there was my mum and boyfriend ... pushing me to continue... and i did. Im sooo glad i have done it cause it has helped my confidence and im utterly hooked ... i run a mobile business now and have branched into beauty.... well happy i found this as my carere:) xx

I like art and was originally a graphic artist. Decided to do mani, pedi and nail art and have been addicted to nails and learning ever since.

My sister had always been getting her nails done...but I wasn't really interested!!!
THEN she bought me a voucher for my Christmas for a set of enhancements...So I had to go...albeit reluctantly!!..
From my first set of sculpted nails.....
I loved them...and was fascinated in how they were achieved....
I just had to learn how to do it and as I was at a crossroads in my career...
..... I thought what the heck..I will learn how to do that!!....and I suppose I have never looked back!

i had never had my nails done before as could never afford it but i always looked after my own.After working in the school for 4 yrs i wanted a change so when i see the course at collage i went for it.I love telling ppl what i do they think its really intresting.Also i was embarassing telling ppl i was a dinner lady.

I started nails because i was fascinated when i had my own done and wanted so much more done with them, so I thought - go and learn how its done. Decided then to do Beauty as well so I could offer an all round service.

I loved my natural nails and my first thought was what a brillant idea enhancements are to protect my beautys .. and i still do.

So that's what brought me into the industry.

I fell into it by a strange series of events, didn't know a tip from a form, or a gel from a monomer. I'd never had my nails done and I'd never had an interest in it.....just so happened it was the only course left at the local college that I could do on a Wednesday evening!

I was artistic, and my house was always full of girls on special event days to do nails, makeup, updo's, and a friend of mine was in beauty school in the nail course- I saw her nails and thought, "Whoa I can do better than THAT!" And a nail addict was born. :)

I fell into it by a strange series of events, didn't know a tip from a form, or a gel from a monomer. I'd never had my nails done and I'd never had an interest in it.....just so happened it was the only course left at the local college that I could do on a Wednesday evening!

OMG!!........Fate, Cathie ..it must have been fate!

OMG!!........Fate, Cathie ..it must have been fate!
LOL I know, just look at me now, nail addict salon owner...whatever next!:hug:

I have always looked after my own nails, but had never even considered training as a nail tech (I really thought I had left it too late), I had never even been to a salon, though in my defense I must say that I do a lot of different crafts, making cards with, pergamano, decoupage etc even making teddy bears so I could say I am a crafty person.
I was working in telesales when my daughter got me an interview for the NVQ Level 2 Nail Services evening course at the College near where I live. I went along for the interview never dreaming I would be accepted at the ripe old age of 49 especially when the tutor said she had only one place left and umpteen more people to interview, I didn't hold out much hope and waited for the Dear John letter to arrive, Imagine my surprise when I was accepted onto the course, I loved every minute of it, it was the best 12 months of my life and with the help of the tutors at the Image Centre of Wigan and Leigh College I mastered all of it and passed every section, I went along for the Level 3 interview and I was also accepted onto that course for this year, sadly due to circumstances beyond my control I had to let my place go, after a long talk with my Tutor, she said she would hold a place for me for the next course which I have every intention of taking up in the next academic year.
I love nails and everything associated with the services I am trained to provide, and once things are sorted I am going to do many more courses to improve my skills.

Joan

I was a client...looked forward to having my nails done so i could just sit and watch her...i probably get on her nerves with all my questions...lol

I was working at Next and hated it...loathed it. But being mum to 3 kids its hard trying to find a job with hours to suit without forking out 100's in childcare. I read lads about nail on the internet...books...just loved everything about it...meeting people, having that one to one with your clients, creating something pretty, pleasing people, earning money and not having a boss breathing down my neck....it ticked all the right boxes for me.

I did office work for 5 years and felt that i was going nowhere. I have always loved health and beauty so decided to drop everything and go for a nail course.

It was the best decision i have ever made.

I started when I had a tanning salon job, we wanted a Nail Tech, & I thought "well how hard can it be?" :eek:
So off I went to do some training, didnt finish it (long story), but still practiced on the nail trainer, hoping to get more training in the future, & eventually just left it :rolleyes: , for nearly 4 years!!!
I went back to shop work & also office work...:zzz: And dreamed nails ever after!
So to fit in with the young 'uns & use some artistic ability I decided to get my training up to scratch & start all over again.

Latest posts

Back