Mica powders

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, I had wondered if getting the powder damp somehow would change it on a nail. It certainly does on cards etc.. Cant wait to have a play around. got my in-laws here so nails is out the window until after the weekend :(
xx
Tried dampening the brush in water first and it made a right mess of everything! Made the mica powder go into little blobs and balls! X

Tried dampening the brush in water first and it made a right mess of everything! Made the mica powder go into little blobs and balls! X

The way I did it was to wipe my brush through some D-Sperse on a lint free pad, then wipe off on couch roll so it was barely damp, then pick up the powder and rub on. This way it is only just ever so slightly damp and you get the true colour of the powder without it turning all gloopy. HTH :hug:

The way I did it was to wipe my brush through some D-Sperse on a lint free pad, then wipe off on couch roll so it was barely damp, then pick up the powder and rub on. This way it is only just ever so slightly damp and you get the true colour of the powder without it turning all gloopy. HTH :hug:
Thanks. Will try that next time. :)

You may want to check Coastal Scents website, they sell beautiful micas, glitters as well. You can order sample - they cost 1-2 dollars, and it is more than enough to make a few sets of nails.

Where did you order your powders from? x

They sell them at coastalscents.com, the samples have tonnes in an there only $1 each, about 64p, postage takes no more than 2 weeks, bit of a wait but they look fab an last for aaaages an for the price, there unbelievable! i make a gorgeous semi transluscent pink for ever- french acrylics by mixing about 10g of clear powder and getting an orange wood stuck and gathering a tiiiny pile of the duochrome red orange mica on the end and mixing it for ages, prettiest pink you will ever see <3<3<3

Has anyone had any problems at all with the mica powders??

I have a regular Shellac client and she gets 3 weeks out of her Shellac, we pale pastel pink mica on Saturday and today (mon) I got a text saying it's started to chip...

So not sure whether I'm doing the procedure correctly (I'm using the same techniques as Holly's V3 Rockstars), so base, cure, 1 x colour, cure, mica powder, top coat x 2 cure.

I have a regular Shellac client and she gets 3 weeks out of her Shellac, we pale pastel pink mica on Saturday and today (mon) I got a text saying it's started to chip...

So not sure whether I'm doing the procedure correctly (I'm using the same techniques as Holly's V3 Rockstars), so base, cure, 1 x colour, cure, mica powder, top coat x 2 cure.

Ooh hope not, I just bought some! X

Yes the same has just happened to me with gelish, my client said it chipped within the first week, I use it the same way as rockstar as you have stated, the only thing is when I removed her gelish the two fingers that had chipped both had pealing on the natural nail ( she wasn't using her oil), so I'm hoping it's that..&#55357;&#56854;

So not sure whether I'm doing the procedure correctly (I'm using the same techniques as Holly's V3 Rockstars), so base, cure, 1 x colour, cure, mica powder, top coat x 2 cure.[/QUOTE
Yes the same has just happened to me with gelish, my client said it chipped within the first week, I use it the same way as rockstar as you have stated, the only thing is when I removed her gelish the two fingers that had chipped both had pealing on the natural nail ( she wasn't using her oil), so I'm hoping it's that..&#128534;

Hmmmm, glad to see it's not just me. Unfortunately my this particular client has great nails, no flaking and gets 3 - 4 weeks with Shellac so I know this isn't the problem.

I'm going to guinea pig them myself this week and see how I get on but if there is an alternative way of doing them, I'd be grateful to hear it.

I was sooooo happy to have pastels in my collection too.

Not sure if someone has suggested this but looking at the first few posts about names and a nail tech near me calls them 'pearlised' nails. I think this is a perfect description :)

Im still waiting for my order but cannot wait to try them out!

Hmmmm, glad to see it's not just me. Unfortunately my this particular client has great nails, no flaking and gets 3 - 4 weeks with Shellac so I know this isn't the problem.

I'm going to guinea pig them myself this week and see how I get on but if there is an alternative way of doing them, I'd be grateful to hear it.

I was sooooo happy to have pastels in my collection too.

I don't think it's the shellac chipping it's the mica coming off. How I don't no.

I've got it on now, had it on just over a week. I used studio White as my base. I can see where it has lost it's seal at the top of nails and on one some of the mica looks like it has scraped off the nail. I will hold my hands up to not wearing gloves whilst washing up so I think that's my cause. If you really look at the nails when u remove Rockstar you will see some glitter has come off too but if youve used a close match in colour with the shellac and glitter you don't notice it. So maybe the trick is to use a colour shellac instead of White under the mica powders xxx

I don't think it's the shellac chipping it's the mica coming off. How I don't no.

I've got it on now, had it on just over a week. I used studio White as my base. I can see where it has lost it's seal at the top of nails and on one some of the mica looks like it has scraped off the nail. I will hold my hands up to not wearing gloves whilst washing up so I think that's my cause. If you really look at the nails when u remove Rockstar you will see some glitter has come off too but if youve used a close match in colour with the shellac and glitter you don't notice it. So maybe the trick is to use a colour shellac instead of White under the mica powders xxx

Oh I didn't know you had to use white?? I used hot pop pink with the pearl pastel mica over it??

Going back to my clients tomorrow to do a re-do, but she just wants her normal Shellac this time. :(

Yes you could be right, I used a clear gelish under my mica, where as on my rockstar I try to match it in with the glitter I use or else it can look patchy / less noticeable if it chips.

I am also going to use the mica on myself to see how it goes ive just got more colours in it and love it, so excuse the pun but fingers crossed.:Love:

ordering some of this today girls, the colours look lovely...I need some pastels in my life... Shellac next time please can we have some lemons etc please!!

15 days of mica powders and still look fab :))

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1335895305.215303.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1335895305.215303.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 875
Wow, they are lovely. What method to you use? X

Foundation
Cure
Go girl
Cure
Press powder into sticky layer
Dust off excess
Top it off
Wipe
Konad
Top it off zx

I'm trialling it myself now, but what I have noticed is that even after putting on 2 coats of Shellac Top coat it still feels sort of rough, not rough like rockstars but it just doesn't feel or look the same as if a top coat had been put over the Shellac colour coat? Am I making sense here??

Has anyone else noticed this??

It'll be interesting to see how long it lasts me though. :biggrin:

I've done around 10 sets now and I haven't had any chipping (that I know of). The first few sets I did I used a matching colour underneath but then I changed to studio white as per a suggestion I read on here. All had and some still have great longevity.

Perhaps you could try two top coats on the problem clients? Not sure it would help but just an idea xx

Foundation
Cure
Go girl
Cure
Press powder into sticky layer
Dust off excess
Top it off
Wipe
Konad
Top it off zx

Thanks x

Latest posts