Mineral Based Makeup - Why is it good?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oey

Reaction score
I am currently looking into the different options of mineral based makeup ranges available - I have seen poeple wearing it so I know that the look achieved with it is very good.

However, what I have not yet grasped is why mineral makeup is so much better for your skin?!?!?!? We have always been told to avoid skin products with minerals in them (certain baby lotions as an example) so why is the mineral makeup good when the mineral skin lotions arent.

Apologies for asking this question but I am one that has to truly believe the any product is not having any detrimental affect on your skin, so want to be absolutely sure of the reasons why this makeup type is so good.

The minerals in mineral make-up are naturally occuring - unlike the mineral oils you refer to which are by-products of the petro-chemical industry.

Mineral oils coat the skin - they do not sink in, and is comodegenic, it can cause acne and has been linked to cancer.

Mineral make-up is on the other hand lets the skin breathe. It is so good for your skin it is the only make up I know of that you can sleep in. It is inert and it is incredibly unlikely that you will be allergic or have a reaction to it, and it can also halp heal the skin as it has anti-inflamm properties as well as a naturally occuring SPF.

They are basically very different products with very different ingredients and manufacturing processes.

I am currently looking into the different options of mineral based makeup ranges available - I have seen poeple wearing it so I know that the look achieved with it is very good.

However, what I have not yet grasped is why mineral makeup is so much better for your skin?!?!?!? We have always been told to avoid skin products with minerals in them (certain baby lotions as an example) so why is the mineral makeup good when the mineral skin lotions arent.

Apologies for asking this question but I am one that has to truly believe the any product is not having any detrimental affect on your skin, so want to be absolutely sure of the reasons why this makeup type is so good.

Theresa, there is a big article on the benefits of mineral makeup in this months Professional Beauty...... I haven't read it properly yet but it does go into the ingredients etc., it says that an average liquid foundation has 35 - 50 ingredients while Bare Escentuals has 5.

It also tells you how the minerals are derived, where from etc. It's well worth a read..... If you need a copy PM me and I'll try and scan it.....

hth's

also beware of the copy cat mineral make ups.....like the sort you buy from a drug store.....i found this.....(sorry its long but very interesting)

Cover Girl TruBlend Naturally Luminous Loose Powder

Ingredients:
Talc, mica, oat kernel flour, zinc stearate, calcium silicate, titanium dioxide, mineral oil, glycerin, quaternium-15, methylparaben, methicone, propylparaben, sodium dehydroacetate, BHT, isopropyl myristate. May Contain: Iron oxides, carmine, yellow 5 lake, ultramarines.

Here is how Cover Girl describes this product: Get a natural-looking glow in an instant! Natural minerals in new TruBlend Naturally Luminous Loose Powder give a brightened appearance for a soft, even-toned, fresh complexion. The shaker-top jar and fluffy application puff make setting your TruBlend foundation a breeze.

Revlon Skinlights® Face Illuminator Loose Powder

Ingredients:
Talc, polymethylmethacrylate, polymethylsilsequioxane, dimethicone, calcium silicate, silica, ethylene/methacrylate copolymer, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, polyglyceryl-3 diisostearate, trimethylsilioxysilicate, PEG-4 diheptanoate, perfluorononyl octydodecyl glycol meadowfoamate, acrylates copolymer, lecithin, methicone, cyclomethicone, zinc stearate, octyl hydroxystearate, saccharomyces zinc ferment extract, saccharomyces copper ferment extract, saccharomyces manganese ferment extract, saccharomyces copper ferment extract, saccharomyces iron ferment extract, saccharomyces silicon ferment extract, saccharomyces potassium ferment extract, selenium ferment extract, ginkgo biloba extract, panax ginseng root extract, centella asiatica extract, camellia sinensis leaf extract, centaurea cyanus flower extract, grape seed extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, tocopheryl acetate, fragrance, micronized rose quartz powder, micronized topaz powder, calcium carbonate, mother of pearl powder, methylparaben, propylparaben, ethylparaben, butylparaben, phenoxyethanol. May Contain: Mica, iron oxides, carmine, ultramarines, red 7 lake, red 6 lake, red 30 lake, titanium dioxide, bismuth oxychloride.

Loreal Bare Naturale Mineral Makeup

Active ingredients: titanium dioxide 3.0%, zinc oxide 5.0%
Inactive ingredients: talc, boron nitrate, dimethicone, copernifica cerifera (carnauba) wax, cetyl dimethicone, trimethylsiloxysilicate, triisocetyl citrate, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, tocopherol, panthenol May contain: titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, bismuth oxychloride, iron oxides

Physicians Formula Mineral Wear™ Talc-Free Mineral Foundation (is a liquid or creme, not dry minerals)

WATER, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1/DIMETHICONESQUALANE, TRIETHYLHEXANOIN, ISONONYL ISONONANOATE, POLYGLYCERYL -4 ISOSTEARATE, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE,PEG-32, DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE, CROSSPOLYMER, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, METHICONE, POLYMETHYL METHACRYLATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL,RETINYL PALMITATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, DISODIUM EDTA, SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE, PHENOXYETHANOL,METHYLPARABEN, ETHYLPARABEN,PROPYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN,MAY CONTAIN: TITANIUM DIOXIDE, IRON OXIDES.

Physicians Formula Mineral Wear® Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder
MICA, ZINC OXIDE, ZINC STEARATE,BORON NITRIDE, LAUROYL LYSINE,METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN,MAY CONTAIN: TITANIUM DIOXIDE,IRON OXIDES.

AVON MINERAL MAKEUP
ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
TITANIUM DIOXIDE 5.0%

INACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
IRON OXIDES
MICA
BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE
NYLON-12
METHYLPARABEN
IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA
KAOLIN
LAURYL PCA
ZINC PCA
PHENYL TRIMETHICONE
SODIUM PCA
LECITHIN
UREA
C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE
SILICA DIMETHYL SILYLATE
TREHALOSE
POLYQUATERNIUM-51
SODIUM HYALURONATE
ASCORBYL PALMITATE
ATELOCOLLAGEN
BETA-CAROTENE
RETINYL PALMITATE
SODIUM CHONDROITIN SULFATE
TOCOPHEROL

COMPARE THE ABOVE WITH THE INGREDIENTS FROM TWO OF THE REAL MINERAL MAKEUP COMPANIES:

Bare Escentuals Ingredients:
Titanium Dioxide
Zinc Oxide
Mica
Bismuth Oxychloride
Iron Oxides

Ingredients from a company that does not use Bismuth Oxycholride:
Titanium Dioxide
Zinc Oxide
Iron Oxides
Mica

Quite a big difference. Just something to consider when making your selection. Always good to know what you are putting on your face.

One thing to keep in mind, is that all the OTC or drugstore brands listed above are rather misleading (imho). They claim their product "contains minerals”, or use the word mineral in the title. They even put it in a similar type of container as traditional mineral makeup and sometimes give you a little brush. However, contains some minerals and is made totally out of minerals are not the same thing at all. The drugstore and Avon products have lots of chemicals and additives. Plus, most of them contain the dreaded Bismuth Oxychloride (causes a reaction in a significant number of users).

The main ingedients in most of these drugstore brands are talc and chemicals, with a touch of minerals added so they can pretend they are mineral makeup and cash in on the craze. The only one on the above list I don’t find completely appaling is the Physicians Formula Mineral Wear® Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder. It still has some nasty chemicals, but less than the rest, and otherwise has a formula more similar to traditional mineral makeup.

I have just got some samples from Lily Lolo....and cant wait to try them. xx

Th only one I have tried is Jane Iredale - as a user rather than a therapist.

Hey Theresa :green:

I think you're getting confused between the minerals that occur in mineral makeup (usually in powder form, and the titanium and zinc are the ones that give the 'sheen' often associated with mineral makeup) and mineral oil which is a moisturising agent.

The minerals in mineral make-up are naturally occuring - unlike the mineral oils you refer to which are by-products of the petro-chemical industry.

Mineral oils coat the skin - they do not sink in, and is comodegenic, it can cause acne and has been linked to cancer.

Mineral make-up is on the other hand lets the skin breathe. It is so good for your skin it is the only make up I know of that you can sleep in. It is inert and it is incredibly unlikely that you will be allergic or have a reaction to it, and it can also halp heal the skin as it has anti-inflamm properties as well as a naturally occuring SPF.

They are basically very different products with very different ingredients and manufacturing processes.

I think your views are outdated, as lots of recent research and studies have found mineral oil to be a beneficial moisturising ingredient. As for it not being natural, it is derived from crude oil - what isn't natural about that?

Industrial grade mineral oil can be contaminated with cancer causing PAH's (Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons), making it carcinogenic, but this type of mineral oil is not used in products for human consumption. Also, you must note that mineral oil in itself is not carcinogenic, it's what it can become contaminated with that makes it so. For example - if you added PAHs to orange juice, it would then become a carcinogen.

Cosmetic grade mineral oil is subject to careful testing and refinement, so is safe for use on the skin.

Read these articles:

Mineral Oil

Mineral Oil Cleared of Pimple Rap

Mineral oil will not cause skin outbreaks, report claims

"Oil-Free" is a Bad Joke

also beware of the copy cat mineral make ups.....like the sort you buy from a drug store.....i found this.....(sorry its long but very interesting) Really interesting info Angie, thanks

I've had Lily Lolo samples for 2 weeks now and love it. In fact, my order for full sizes goes in later on today......

I've had Lily Lolo samples for 2 weeks now and love it. In fact, my order for full sizes goes in later on today......

really.....i have heard you can actually sleep in it its so good...(not that i would .. ruin my cream pillow cases..:lol:)

I like a nice coverage and a bit dubious as to how this can be achieved with just a powder...buy after reading about it i just had to have a try.

if you would like to read the whole lot of that info i gave....its here.. eBay Forums: OTC: Mineral Makeup ... (its really good...on about what brush to use and all sorts)...

I like a nice coverage and a bit dubious as to how this can be achieved with just a powder...buy after reading about it i just had to have a try.

I wan't all that impressed to start with but I have discovered I wasn't buffing it in enough, I was brushing quite lightly. Now I really work the powder into my skin and get a beautiful light natural look and feel but there is definitely coverage......

As you might remember , I was asking about mineral makeup in another thread. Yvette, I discovered that also! Buff buff Buff..I finally got the hang of it. No More Bronze faced woman!!

A bit disappointed to see the one that I am currently using is in the list that bagpuss listed..:cry: and they don't have Lolo over in the states.:irked:

Thank you listing those ingredients Bagpuss, it gives me an idea of why I still am getting clogged pores.

Thank you all for the advice - didnt realise that the mineral oil was from a different source than true minerals - you learn something new every day!

Very interesting comments about over the counter stuff! How misleading is that!

Just wanted to add that I'm a Lily Lolo convert too! I'd never heard of it till I saw a thread on here. I've used Bare Minerals before and loved the coverage and feel of it on my skin, but just by trying it once in a salon I wasn't convinced I had the best shade.

I ordered loads of samples of foundation, bronzer, blush and eye colours from Lily Lolo and being able to wear different shades for a few days, found the PERFECT colour for me and ordered my full sizes last week, I'm over the moon :green:

It's weird, I've been suffering from little dry patches lately (stress lol!:rolleyes:) and normal liquid foundation made them more obvious. You would think that a powder foundation would make it worse, but my skin just looks so fresh and louminous, whoever first mentioned Lily Lolo on here a big THANK YOU!

also beware of the copy cat mineral make ups.....like the sort you buy from a drug store.....i found this.....(sorry its long but very interesting)

Cover Girl TruBlend Naturally Luminous Loose Powder

Ingredients:
Talc, mica, oat kernel flour, zinc stearate, calcium silicate, titanium dioxide, mineral oil, glycerin, quaternium-15, methylparaben, methicone, propylparaben, sodium dehydroacetate, BHT, isopropyl myristate. May Contain: Iron oxides, carmine, yellow 5 lake, ultramarines.

Here is how Cover Girl describes this product: Get a natural-looking glow in an instant! Natural minerals in new TruBlend Naturally Luminous Loose Powder give a brightened appearance for a soft, even-toned, fresh complexion. The shaker-top jar and fluffy application puff make setting your TruBlend foundation a breeze.

Revlon Skinlights® Face Illuminator Loose Powder

Ingredients:
Talc, polymethylmethacrylate, polymethylsilsequioxane, dimethicone, calcium silicate, silica, ethylene/methacrylate copolymer, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, polyglyceryl-3 diisostearate, trimethylsilioxysilicate, PEG-4 diheptanoate, perfluorononyl octydodecyl glycol meadowfoamate, acrylates copolymer, lecithin, methicone, cyclomethicone, zinc stearate, octyl hydroxystearate, saccharomyces zinc ferment extract, saccharomyces copper ferment extract, saccharomyces manganese ferment extract, saccharomyces copper ferment extract, saccharomyces iron ferment extract, saccharomyces silicon ferment extract, saccharomyces potassium ferment extract, selenium ferment extract, ginkgo biloba extract, panax ginseng root extract, centella asiatica extract, camellia sinensis leaf extract, centaurea cyanus flower extract, grape seed extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, tocopheryl acetate, fragrance, micronized rose quartz powder, micronized topaz powder, calcium carbonate, mother of pearl powder, methylparaben, propylparaben, ethylparaben, butylparaben, phenoxyethanol. May Contain: Mica, iron oxides, carmine, ultramarines, red 7 lake, red 6 lake, red 30 lake, titanium dioxide, bismuth oxychloride.

Loreal Bare Naturale Mineral Makeup

Active ingredients: titanium dioxide 3.0%, zinc oxide 5.0%
Inactive ingredients: talc, boron nitrate, dimethicone, copernifica cerifera (carnauba) wax, cetyl dimethicone, trimethylsiloxysilicate, triisocetyl citrate, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, tocopherol, panthenol May contain: titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, bismuth oxychloride, iron oxides

Physicians Formula Mineral Wear™ Talc-Free Mineral Foundation (is a liquid or creme, not dry minerals)

WATER, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1/DIMETHICONESQUALANE, TRIETHYLHEXANOIN, ISONONYL ISONONANOATE, POLYGLYCERYL -4 ISOSTEARATE, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE,PEG-32, DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE, CROSSPOLYMER, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, METHICONE, POLYMETHYL METHACRYLATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL,RETINYL PALMITATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, DISODIUM EDTA, SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE, PHENOXYETHANOL,METHYLPARABEN, ETHYLPARABEN,PROPYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN,MAY CONTAIN: TITANIUM DIOXIDE, IRON OXIDES.

Physicians Formula Mineral Wear® Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder
MICA, ZINC OXIDE, ZINC STEARATE,BORON NITRIDE, LAUROYL LYSINE,METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN,MAY CONTAIN: TITANIUM DIOXIDE,IRON OXIDES.

AVON MINERAL MAKEUP
ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
TITANIUM DIOXIDE 5.0%

INACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
IRON OXIDES
MICA
BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE
NYLON-12
METHYLPARABEN
IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA
KAOLIN
LAURYL PCA
ZINC PCA
PHENYL TRIMETHICONE
SODIUM PCA
LECITHIN
UREA
C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE
SILICA DIMETHYL SILYLATE
TREHALOSE
POLYQUATERNIUM-51
SODIUM HYALURONATE
ASCORBYL PALMITATE
ATELOCOLLAGEN
BETA-CAROTENE
RETINYL PALMITATE
SODIUM CHONDROITIN SULFATE
TOCOPHEROL

COMPARE THE ABOVE WITH THE INGREDIENTS FROM TWO OF THE REAL MINERAL MAKEUP COMPANIES:

Bare Escentuals Ingredients:
Titanium Dioxide
Zinc Oxide
Mica
Bismuth Oxychloride
Iron Oxides

Ingredients from a company that does not use Bismuth Oxycholride:
Titanium Dioxide
Zinc Oxide
Iron Oxides
Mica

Quite a big difference. Just something to consider when making your selection. Always good to know what you are putting on your face.

One thing to keep in mind, is that all the OTC or drugstore brands listed above are rather misleading (imho). They claim their product "contains minerals”, or use the word mineral in the title. They even put it in a similar type of container as traditional mineral makeup and sometimes give you a little brush. However, contains some minerals and is made totally out of minerals are not the same thing at all. The drugstore and Avon products have lots of chemicals and additives. Plus, most of them contain the dreaded Bismuth Oxychloride (causes a reaction in a significant number of users).

The main ingedients in most of these drugstore brands are talc and chemicals, with a touch of minerals added so they can pretend they are mineral makeup and cash in on the craze. The only one on the above list I don’t find completely appaling is the Physicians Formula Mineral Wear® Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder. It still has some nasty chemicals, but less than the rest, and otherwise has a formula more similar to traditional mineral makeup.

You're good! Excellent research! I can tell you do your homework!!! Do you know the names of some other brands that only have the "4 basic" ingredients in them? What does the L.L. contain?

I think your views are outdated, as lots of recent research and studies have found mineral oil to be a beneficial moisturising ingredient. As for it not being natural, it is derived from crude oil - what isn't natural about that?

Crude oil may be natural, but I certainly wouldn't want to put it on my skin! And it is possible to define substance as natural, just because everything we have is derived from something in nature - but there are some products that are used in close to their natural state. Mineral oil isn't one of them.

Those studies are interesting though, I have to say I hadn't come across it. As far as I can tell they have tested it on the back, so I would still like to see a study done on it's effect on facial skin - I'm not saying you are wrong, but certainly the skin on my face is more sensitive than the skin on my back.

Having said all that - I would like to add the caveat that just because something is natural, doesn't mean it is good for you or your skin - but a lot of research has been done into natural ingredients and their effects on the skin - and natural ingredients also have the benefit of being much more environmentally friendly than a petro-chemical ingredient.

You're good! Excellent research! I can tell you do your homework!!! Do you know the names of some other brands that only have the "4 basic" ingredients in them? What does the L.L. contain?

Lily Lolo ingredients....

The foundation is ...Mica, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine Blue.

The Finishing powder is...Mica, Iron Oxides.

The Cover up is...
Kaolin, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Iron Oxides

Bronzers and shimmers is...Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Silica, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Ultramarine Blue

Blusher is...Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.

Eyeshadow is...Mica, Iron Oxides

HTH xx

I think I've now got the hang of applying the mineral make up and the coverage and longevity of the foundation is excellent. I think I'm becoming a convert!!:lol:

I have asked a representative of lilylolo if they could spare a few mins to join us and help with any questions we may have regarding mineral make up....colours...application...etc....so fingers crossed. x

I have asked a representative of lilylolo if they could spare a few mins to join us and help with any questions we may have regarding mineral make up....colours...application...etc....so fingers crossed. x

Online?

What a fantastic idea! Well done you.:hug:

Crude oil may be natural, but I certainly wouldn't want to put it on my skin! And it is possible to define substance as natural, just because everything we have is derived from something in nature - but there are some products that are used in close to their natural state. Mineral oil isn't one of them.

You're not putting crude oil on your skin, you're putting a derivative of it on your skin, one which is thoroughly researched and known to be one of the gentlest and least irritating moisturising agents! Can you explain why mineral oil isn't natural? I'm genuinely interested to know why. I only picked up on the whole 'natural' thing because you were claiming mineral oil was not "naturally occurring" and also that it was comedogenic and a carcinogen! :eek:

Those studies are interesting though, I have to say I hadn't come across it. As far as I can tell they have tested it on the back, so I would still like to see a study done on it's effect on facial skin - I'm not saying you are wrong, but certainly the skin on my face is more sensitive than the skin on my back.

I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that mineral oil has been tested on the back? What made you think this? I'm quite sure mineral oil has been tested all over, including the face.
Mineral oil is one of the main ingredients in Bio Oil, you can check out their website www.bio-oil.info as they have conducted a number of studies to check the qualities and effects of Bio Oil, including ruling it out as a comedogenic.

Having said all that - I would like to add the caveat that just because something is natural, doesn't mean it is good for you or your skin - but a lot of research has been done into natural ingredients and their effects on the skin - and natural ingredients also have the benefit of being much more environmentally friendly than a petro-chemical ingredient.

You're dead right....you wouldn't go round rubbing horse manure or blue-green algae into your face! But I only believe in a few natural products that will benefit skin, as most molecules are too large to penetrate the skin. I believe in pineapple (and the high amount of bromelain it contains) for superb chemical exfoliation and I believe in mineral oil (in Bio Oil and combined with other oils and PurCellin) for excellent moisturisation....

The crude oil comment was purely a reply to you:

As for it not being natural, it is derived from crude oil - what isn't natural about that?

The process needed to refine crude oil is explained here Oil refinery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - and surely you agree that mineral oil isn't close to it's natural (crude) state? Whereas the minerals used in make-up have just been crushed, and so are very close to their natural state. And it isn't nearly as disruptive to our enviroment.

As regards the products being tested on the back goes - that is what one of the links you provided stated. I quote:

Volunteers tested a formulation containing cosmetic grade mineral oil tested on their upper back over a period of several weeks. A microscope slide containing cyanoacylate glue was then applied to the test area and viewed under a microscope.

It's great though, that the information I had (which was that it was LINKED to cancer, which is often the case before something has been shown for certain one way or the other, I did not state that it was a carcinogen and nor would I until I knew without reasonable doubt) has been shown to be incorrect. I am not anti-mineral oil for the sake of it, it was based on the information I had - and obviously the op had similar views so its not just me! There are certain aspects of what I said that I stand by, however.

I'm sorry if I sound really negative about what you have said, and I really don't mean it to. I am glad that you posted because I now have info that I didn't before, and this will help me in future decisions.

Latest posts

Back