Mixing different company's products?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janeburrows

Reaction score
Hello
I have a bride who wants me to put glitter on her white tips. She currently has Bio Sculpture overlays with french finish. She has a pot of NSI Tech nail colour (opal shimmer) that her sister uses and she wants me to mix a bit in to my clear gel so that she can 'shimmer' for her big day.
Will the two products be compatible? Anyone know?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

janeburrows said:
Hello
I have a bride who wants me to put glitter on her white tips. She currently has Bio Sculpture overlays with french finish. She has a pot of NSI Tech nail colour (opal shimmer) that her sister uses and she wants me to mix a bit in to my clear gel so that she can 'shimmer' for her big day.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Jane
I'm a Biosculpture user. Personally, I havent mixed Biosculpture gels with any other product other than theirs...
How about if you get some glitter and mix it into your clear gel, that way she can get really lovely glittery tips. You can even get some glitter or pearly polish and paint thinly over the tips.
Mixing a couple of biosculpture colours would be ok, but I cant think of any of the colours which will give you that 'opal' shimmer look!

janeburrows said:
Hello
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

I may be wrong but I thought the NSI Tech nail colour was an L&P system? I know you can mix the opal shimmer with white or other powders but I wouldnt think you could mix it with Gel as it isn't just a glitter.
Hope this helps

NoticeableNails said:
I may be wrong but I thought the NSI Tech nail colour was an L&P system? I know you can mix the opal shimmer with white or other powders but I wouldnt think you could mix it with Gel as it isn't just a glitter.
Hope this helps

actually, i think the opal shimer IS just a glitter. it comes in the pack with the coloured acrylic that nsi do so that it may be added to sparkle up any of the colours. i use it mixed with other brands of acrylic powders, so i dont think there would be any problem adding it to gel. it really does give a beautiful effect

angel fingers said:
actually, i think the opal shimer IS just a glitter. it comes in the pack with the coloured acrylic that nsi do so that it may be added to sparkle up any of the colours. i use it mixed with other brands of acrylic powders, so i dont think there would be any problem adding it to gel. it really does give a beautiful effect

Aha, now I know about opal shimmer - just a glitter. If it IS then no probs mixing it into the bio clear gel!

Thanks for your replies.

I think I'll give it a try on myself first as I wouldn't want any problems with my client.

Anyone know a supplier of good glitter (dust type I think would be best)? And I need it for Thursday!

Thanks

the star nails glitter dusts are great, and easily available from your local beauty suppliers.

the contents are:

copolymers, polymers and silicates........

I havent seen any polyester glitter (nail art type) that is the same colour as the Opal Shimmer.............Why dont you try adding the Opal shimmer to a nail tip to see if it works. There is more glitter in Opal Shimmer that polymer it cannot be used on its own as it clumps and clogs your brush.

I have never added polymer to gel but one of the Geeks mixes MAC pigment into hers..................so why not!

Try it and let us know what works.

The NSI opal shimmer is actually a polymer and not just a glitter!

Fingertips ND said:

Thats true but it has more glitter in it than polymer thats why it has to be mixed with clear and cant be used alone.

What i'm saying is that it can't be mixed with gel as it is a polymer!

I'm not being argumentative just inquisitive but ............why not? :o

Gel is in the acrylic family but due to the make up will suspend the polymer particles in it - embedding rather than absorbing? thats what I have in my head anyway.............I have to try it now!

I have never actually myself tried doing this but was advised by NSI not to do this!

Ok I take that on board..................I'll try it and let you know

I might give it a go tonight too and see what happens!

Fingertips ND said:

ooh is it ? i stand corrected, sorry.

Hi All

You'll be fine to use the Opal shimmer with your gel. I used to use it all the time. I didn't actually mix the shimmer with the gel - I took a scoop of gel (preferably thin or finish gel) , dipped it in the shimmer, applied a thin coat to the white free edge then coated with a coat of finish gel ... lovely effect and stayed put. By doing it this way, you could easily buff off that coat of glimmer before the next fill.

Vicky

angel fingers said:
ooh is it ? i stand corrected, sorry.

Hello You!

This Geek will put anything in gel!

Latest posts

Back