MMA article in LOOK Magazine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although i am confident that i have received good training with who i have trained with, as Jess has mentioned above.....my concern was that jo public were going to read this article and see that according to it a good nail tech should have a 'NVQ level 3' and to look for this when visiting a salon....which is exactly what the article is saying, which many do not have even though the are fully competent nail techs.
Is the public going to know what the equivilents to an NVQ level 3 are?

To put a few things into context (and make it more complicated)

Look is probably published in London (as most are). A technician working in a salon does need an NVQ! You cannot get a license without one (or working towards)

There is an NVQ unit for 'e-files'.

Habia (the Industry Authority) recommend the use of correctly fitted dust masks and the use of non-latex gloves.

So.....where does that put this ridiculous article??

I feel very bad for Keeley. She is doing a great job to try to make the industry a safer place. All this is in her own time and at her own expense. Unfortunately, this type of magazine only like a sensational story and no one quoted have any control over what is printed

To put a few things into context (and make it more complicated)

Look is probably published in London (as most are). A technician working in a salon does need an NVQ! You cannot get a license without one (or working towards)

There is an NVQ unit for 'e-files'.

Habia (the Industry Authority) recommend the use of correctly fitted dust masks and the use of non-latex gloves.

So.....where does that put this ridiculous article??

I feel very bad for Keeley. She is doing a great job to try to make the industry a safer place. All this is in her own time and at her own expense. Unfortunately, this type of magazine only like a sensational story and no one quoted have any control over what is printed

thankyou Marian xxx

I did not like this article at all. I don't think that this type of publication is the place to try and start educating the public. Sorry to stereotype but the majority of women who read these magazines are the type who will be sucked in by sensationalism and will read what they choose to read. Furthermore, the readers will be at work tomorrow telling all their colleagues with enhancements that they shouldnt get them done or their fingers will drop off, because the people who like to read such horror stories will always exaggerate the point when telling others about it.

I have nothing but respect for those who have given their time to contribute to this article and the sentiments behind doing so, but my personal opinion is that it was a mistake to try and do so in this type of magazine.

It is a tricky situation,
As we often say we need more positive publicity, and this is exactly what the girls have aimed for,
Unfortunately The "press" don't seem interested in this...
They have given snippets of good professional based advice, but mixed it in with some "shock horror" info...
Its unfortunate that the "shock horror" parts are more likely to be the bits the public pick up on...

Where does it leave us though ?
its seems obvious we can't win on this one no matter how hard we try,

I think again we should just soldier on producing the best PROFFESSIONAL sets of enhancements (or any other treatment for that matter) and customer care that we possibly can,
Even if it means in the back of your mind imagining the client in front of you works for the media...and you are working to IMPRESS the hell out of them :lol:

That way, any time someone does say "oh those false nails are bad for you"
Our hoards of clients will be able to defend us from experience and put them right...that one small ripple of good word...will spread far and wide over time..from client..to work colleague to best friend, to kids party full of mums...to groups of women in the loo's on a night out in town etc etc....
(I'm sure you're getting the drift lol)

As they say "your work is the best form of advertisement"

I'm not going to worry to much about this article now,
Just going to concentrate on my main goal of being the best I can x

I am really worried about this article, I am still training at the moment and trying to start a mobile business. I am doing VTCT and am not sure where that leaves me in regards to this ad. I am planning on doing an ezflow conversion course and nail art, but there is no Level 3 available here in Bristol as far as I can see. I have been taught very well and my hygiene is very good too. Should I be worried or not.

Latest posts

Back