MMA article in LOOK Magazine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It also advises HABIA is the association to look out for .....

I have looked on the HABIA site and cant find any info on how to apply.....
except for membership to the talk boards.

Does anyone have any info on HABIA, I thought it was just for hairdressers..

THIS IS WHAT I EMAILED

I am a qualified nail tech of 10 years and educator of 3 and feel that you have done more damage than good with your article. While i totally agree that ther are many techs out there who use wrong products, use equipment wrongly or forget salon hygiene, there are tech who use the correct products, who safely use electric files on the natural nails and are hot on salon safety.
The main problem is training, or lack of it. At the training centre i work for we ecourage using professional products that are designed for the nails (rather than dental grade products - MMA), we also train people to use the electric file correctly, which also includes the natural nails but this is at masters level and is always asessed before a certificate is given. As for sterilization, well whoever has informed you that all tools and equipment need steralizing does not know the difference between sanitisation, disinfection and sterilisation (even habia could have cleared you up on that one)
Using a mask is not a sign of bad practice, using a electric file is not a sign of bad practice, and not 'sterilizing' all tools and equipment is also not a sign of bad practice.
Good practice is:
utilizing ppp (personal protective equipment as per HABIA - which includes face masks as tech are exposed to dust constantly and clients for a short period every few weeks)
Training to use an electric file correcly, which helps speed up service time, not damaging to the nail
Using correct decontamination procedures, depending on tools and equipment. Knowing how to prevent problems and how to appropriatly decontaminat is the key.
Also fumes are gases with paritcles in, what you smell is a vapour which is completly different.
I am sorry for the long rant, but i am really fed up of the wrong info going out again and again.
If to wish to know my authority on this subject i can send you my CV, which includes trainings with world authoritoes on this subject, plus research for education training, and a very keen interest in providing the best possible service for my clients and teaching them to the next generation.
If you need a more informed follow up article please contact me
Yours
Kerry Moores
Principle Educator California Nail Academy (Bolton)
EzFlow Mater Artist
Nail Creation Gold Educator
Nail Artist

Interesting Article! I will print it out and display for my clients. In my opinion this article will put potential clients off getting their nails done as the article does not follow up with a positive. I just try to put myself in a potential clients shoes, knowing nothing about nail enhancements and yes I would not get my nails done after reading this. Shame could have been done much better.:cry:

It also advises HABIA is the association to look out for .....

I have looked on the HABIA site and cant find any info on how to apply.....
except for membership to the talk boards.

Does anyone have any info on HABIA, I thought it was just for hairdressers..

Habia isn't an association. it is an Industry Authority (Hairdressing and Beauty Industry Authority) A technician can't 'join' it (although they are about to launch a type of membership section)

The article mentions ANT but how they relate to issues such as this is very limited and joining restrictions are almost non existent (a training cert)

i actually thought it was good!
there is hardly anything about nails in magazines, and i thought this would at least seperate the men from the boys so to speak

if you read it thoroughly i dont see why it should put someone off having their nails done, i just think it will make them think, should they change their nail tech/ salon?

too many people are far too happy to keep going to nss as they know no difference,
something like this article only highlights the differences
so im my opinion, i thought the article was good!

[something like this article only highlights the differences
so im my opinion, i thought the article was good![/quote]

BUT IT DOESNT HIGHLIGHT DIFFERENCES - I USE AND ELECTRIC FILE I AM A VERY COMPETANT AND SAFE TECH

it depends if people take the time to read it all and not just have a quick glance through it ?

How can anyone think this article is good!!!!!

This is NOT the way to get MMA banned! This is the way to get the nail industry an even worse reputation than it already has!

There is absolutely no balance in what is good. It is all about extreme disasters and no information about how rare these disasters are. The advice at the end is rubbish!

People have fallen into the trap of going along with the mags that are only interested in a horror story as long as the industry has been around. They never change anything for the better. They just bring all the bad stuff to the consumers attention. (How many consumers do you think were thinking of booking an appointment this week, read that and decided not to go near one?)

Where are nice stories of how a long tern nail biter had fabulous nails for her wedding, for example, that could send those consumers straight to the phone.

This is not doing the industry any favours at all. The MMA issue is in hand and this hasn't helped its progress; it has just lost the industry quite a lot of new clients

I have to agree with you on this although I did email the article to my sister because she has been using what I would describe as a nss in our town after me telling her repeatedly not to! Magazines love horror as horror sells.

Would you suggest perhaps someone qualified enough on here, writing a kind of 'repair job' article about the very people who do do a great job? I mean kind of telling the flip side of this article and send it in to Look to try and redress the balance? The people Look is aimed at are in general 20 somethings who like to look good and because the magazine is cheap end, are likely to buy it each issue, so they are just as likely to read the 'flip' article as they were/are to have read this one and hopefully get a better sense of the nail industry.

Anyone up for the job?! I know there are a few bods on here who could whip that article into such a spin that nails by a qualified tech who doesn't use mma and has a valid certificate displayed (or at least filed in her mobile equipment) will be a must for everyone who's anyone.

The one thing I did like about that article was that Keeley said that people should expect to pay £35 and upwards which has to be a good thing as far as minimum wage goes.

The general public need to be educated into our way of thinking as generally I do feel that women (at least the ones I know who have nail enhancements) think of them as just a fashion accessory, they only want them to last the couple of weeks over Christmas, or for their 2 week summer holiday and dont realise the full implications of having them enhanced by someone who isn't a qualified nail tech. I doubt any of them have even asked to see a certificate before they let the drill bits near their nails. I think public assume that because you have a nice shop, you must be qualified.

I've rambled enough now :o

Sarah. xx

Sarah. xx

i think thats a great idea, who do we volunteer !

If You Read What I Emailed You Will See That HAve Offered

Last edited:
I agree it does not highlight the difference at all. To someone considering getting their nails done, never having them done before and knowing nothing about nail enhancements, I can see no other result other than "No Way, they destroy your nails"
Although I seldom use an e-file, through choice and because I seem to get on as fast without it, I do know that there are many nail techs who do and are excellant at using it. I also know nail techs who wear masks and are totally spotlessly clean. I would take the message from this that if I went to a nail salon and the tech was wearing a mask that they must be using that dangerous liquid. Sorry but that is my take on it.
There are not many people who will read this article thoroughly other than maybe us who will suffer the knock on effect of this. I can imagine many people lifting this magazine at work on their tea break and skimming through it (such as my potential clients). By the way is that extensions one of the girls is wearing in the article? Looks like it to me.

see, i'm the worlds worst for glancing and not READING !!!:smack:

I just read your post Kerry and realised you have done just what I suggested (while I was writing it!). Well done, I hope you get a chance to put it across in print. xx

Thanks Redsadie, i hope so too.

I think two of the girls may have extensions - maybe not- but if they have why not mention who sorted them out and how??? bad jounalism

yes after looking at these photographs again, I believe they are maybe one set extensions and the other nno. Should be pointed out in the next article hopefully

I read the main article and thought it was good...excelent even and i fully support the campaign for the banning of MMA and the regulating of salons.
However, I am new to the industry after recently having children and deciding that this was what i wanted to do......when i read the bit on the side i felt really disheartened that i was now a tech to avoid.
I do not have an NVQ certification (which i do wish do have eventually).
I do wear a mask occationally...but was under the impression that this was personal health and safety to wear these anyway ...like eye shields are?? Correct me if i am wrong.
Ok, i do not use an e file but thought that with the correct training that these could be used safely.
Also i was told that sterilising was not something suitable for use in a salon. Disinfecting and sanitising was all that was necessary.
My monomer smells.....so my other half always wishes to point out to me.
I have done my training with CND and more recently with ezflow.....these in my opinion are 2 of the top brands around with there education highly reputable...which is why i chose them. As i am just starting out i am obviously having the normal probs that most people have with getting new clients to stick with you...... I just hope not everyone who see's this decides to avoid me as i dont fit the criteria.

My big long post just somehow got deleted :grr:

But I more or less had said what sian has said,...
I don't have an nvq level 3, no nvq for that matter !
I may sometimes wear a mask as I have asthma,
And according to people who come anywhere near my products they smell....
I am not a member of habia...

God I might aswell give up right now, theres nothing down for me according to LOOK ...
Oh except that is the teeny weeny facts that.....
I take my education VERY seriously,
I take my clients wellbeing VERY seriously,
I NEVER cause damage to a clients nail beds, infact quite the opposite,
I AM professional in the way I do things in pratice and in thought.

BUT...would a potential client realise all this, If they walked in and sat at my "smelly" nail table,
Watched me put on a dust mask...then they proceed to ask me if I have nvq level 3 or am a member of habia...
No..they would be running for the hills

and again ....:grr:

Me too,Ive only a diploma,and have done two conversion courses,from this artical this means nowt,Im unqualified,how disheartnings that!So how comes I can get insurance then if Im UNQUALIFIED!!:irked:

I also read the main article and thought it was excellent as im for one against MMA... but... I am now worried about my business as I havent got an NVQ (not yet), and I charge from £15.00 -£28.00 for my nail enhancemets WITHOUT USING PRODUCTS WITH MMA !! and thats with me competing with NSS salons in Lincoln who use MMA products and they certainly dont charge £15 for their sets more like £30, this article is very damaging to us all within this industry, i think that this article needs rewriting with the correct facts!!

I too will email this magazine with my concerns.

IMO this is biased information from the safe salon site.. looks like their business will soar now as us professionals will panic and buy into having our name on their site just to be marked as safe

Just off to modify my promotional leaflets by stating no MMA in my products!!

Sue

Last edited:
My big long post just somehow got deleted :grr:

But I more or less had said what sian has said,...
I don't have an nvq level 3, no nvq for that matter !
I may sometimes wear a mask as I have asthma,
And according to people who come anywhere near my products they smell....
I am not a member of habia...

God I might aswell give up right now, theres nothing down for me according to LOOK ...
Oh except that is the teeny weeny facts that.....
I take my education VERY seriously,
I take my clients wellbeing VERY seriously,
I NEVER cause damage to a clients nail beds, infact quite the opposite,
I AM professional in the way I do things in pratice and in thought.

BUT...would a potential client realise all this, If they walked in and sat at my "smelly" nail table,
Watched me put on a dust mask...then they proceed to ask me if I have nvq level 3 or am a member of habia...
No..they would be running for the hills

and again ....:grr:

but ems do you disinfect your implements?
do you consult with your clients before starting the procedure?
do you sanitise yours and your clients hands?
these are only three things i can remember from the article , sorry as i cant get back to it

Latest posts

Back