Mobile Dilemma!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkBlonde

Reaction score
Has anybody here set up a mobile business straight from training with no salon experience?
I have been so tempted to go mobile as soon as I pass my driving test, but I'm really scared about doing it with no salon experience!

Did you find you learned things as you went along, or did you feel you could have done better if you worked in a salon first?

Any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks xXx

I did this due to the fact I needed the grant to do the course I wanted, had tried to get into local college, full. No salons were taking on apprentices so had no option. Its been hard going and only the past year it has started picking up as have added more services (only started with nails) it may not be the same in all areas but here folk like to stick to places they have gone for years until they cant get an appt or need someone mobile or the cheapest they can get arg! lol
So I would defo say if you can get into a salon first do, as it is really hard to build up a mobile service from scratch as nobody knows who you are and what you can do. unless you have plenty friends that will pay for your services and have lots of friends to recommend you to (unfortunatley my freinds dont! lol) htht xx

I wouldnt be at all concerned about going mobile just out of training, it is no different to setting up in a room yourself after training.

What I would be a bit more concerned about it doing mobile straight after your driving test. My car is so knacked up since going mobile having to do three point turns in ridiculous streets, park up massive curbs and drive up and down farm roads. Granted im a bit cack at driving in general, ok very very bad, but I dont think driving around all day will be the easiest thing just out of your test.

Well firstly i would say don't do it right away it took me at least 2 years to build a decent clientele that paid me a good wage this was after i worked in a salon for a year to build reputation and more experience then i rented a room in a very busy hairdressers to build more clients then i took the leap I've been mobile now for 13 years and my next step now is a salon of my own just be prepared to be skint for a couple of years if you do it!!! You will find most of your work is through recommendation .:smack:

Go for it!

I went mobile and although I've been a nail tech for 8 years, I re-started my business in January - now I'm fully booked and have had to start a home salon as I got to the point of no being able to fit people in. Now I do both, just advertise EVERYWHERE...leaflet drops, posters, pamper evenings, local advertiser, facebook, twitter, etc, etc, etc, I tried to make sure everywhere people looked my advert was there and people knew my name, I didn't spend a lot on advertising either, just time, but in the beginning I had a lot of that.

I thought that it would be quite a good time, I have enough money for a car and a bit left over, I think I could have enough money (with some back-up) by early Spring next year. Now would be ideal really, I live with my parents (no bills to pay) and have a part time job that I could keep on. But I don't really have any potential clients, so it would all be totally from scratch.

I really want to do this, I'm just too scared! It's such a big step to take .
:irked:

I keep asking myself who would come to me when they can have someone much more experienced for the same price? I'm worried that if my clients found out I have no previous salon experience, they would think twice about coming back to me.

I would be doing manicure, pedicure, eyelash tint/perm and basic waxing. I don't feel competent enough to offer facials yet.

I trained in various treatments and then went straight into offering them mobile as I had no intention to work in a salon-it doesn't appeal to me.
As long as your prices are not too steep and not too cheap people will try you out and if your good and friendly they are more than likely to come back to you again for repeat treatments and recommend you to their friends.
Also, honesty sometimes is not always the best policy when it comes to clients asking how long you have been doing beauty for, I naughtily always used to stretch the truth a little bit especially when I first started :p

I went straight to being mobile as I could then work round my kids, to work in salon and pay childcare I would be as well just having my pay paid straight to the child minder. I set my prices slightly cheaper not much than the local salons and sent out loads of leaflets and still do and business is good. Its hard work but worth it.

Annie x

I too went straight to mobile but endorse what other people say: do not underestimate trying to go mobile whilst being a new driver; business takes time to pick up however, it is not impossible.

I am living in a new town and did not have tons of contacts but am doing quite well because I publicised (low cost only) and have a brilliant website. I didn't lie about my experience but I might have fudged exactly when I started practising. Being older I think I generally come across as being confident when I am not really.

I also did not have the benefit of a college course but the small individual intensive courses. I set my prices at the standard of the better salons around here and then in my first couple of months had everything discounted by 50% but with the standard prices showing. I was so busy! Many of those clients would not have paid for such services unless they were drastically cut but at least I was out and about doing it and I have kept some of those customers. The others have come from my website or word of mouth.

Because I want to do higher massage courses I am now at college to do my NVQ Level 2 and doing that and keeping my business going. But also because of that, I am not driving forward the marketing but business continues to tick over. Not enough to run a household admittedly but good for the early stages of my own business.

So it is possible, but you need to look at the transport side of things, and then the marketing.

Caroline x

i like a few others have said have no intention at all working for somebody else. when i was at high school i was sent on a placement to a local salon and all i did was the absolute lowest jobs - from cleaning behind and under the sunbeds (which believe me wasn't part of the regular cleaning routine!) to cleaning the showertoilet/bathroom floor on my hands and knees (owners recommendation) and ptting out the rubbish. of course i 'get' that cleaning is a priority in any salon but in my time there i got no idea at all about what a salon environment was like. funny enough another of the girls there was on a college placement and she was telling me the same thing. not only did that experience put me off working for other people too as they ould be the same way but it really put me off the whole beauty world to be honest. so when it came to wanting to do something for me, and to be selfish for the first time ina good few years it was always going to be me on my own either mobile or renting a room.
some people are so quick to moan about 1 day courses but from the stories i have read on here of peoples college experiences it makes me very glad that i have chosen to take individual courses. i feel like i am up to date on latest technques and trends and can train to use the best of the best when it comes to products, unlike college
were when i was there we used cheap products and things like for eg. intimate waxing was never in the training book. with anything in life you need practise to get better and of course having work friends that are more experienced would be a great help but you can use this site to speak to other professionals and use them as your work friends. on top of that there are many business courses available if that is the side you are worrying about, there are also many management coursesavailable. ontop of that there are many books you can read.
if you are willing to take other courses and to read up about working in the beauty world then i don't think you are making a big mistake. i think you would be making a big mistake if you took a one day course and then toddled off to do clients without any practising and reading up etc. but if you are willing to be responsible and really willing to push yourself further then i think you should go for it.
as for the driving thing then just get out there and drive as much as you can. even if it's just driving around 'the block', it wont take long before you get to know yur own car and it's noises and of course a turn doesn't really have to be 3 turns, nor does parking have to be done in one go (and thank god!! LOL)
i am sure you will do absolutely fabulous in both your driving and new career!! x

Aww thanks everyone! I love this site :hug:

I was thinking about trying to find 1day a week placement and go back to college for level 3, but I think if I was only in a salon 1day it would take ages to gain much from it, and like MissConfused said, I would probably be doing odd jobs to start with, and I can't really afford to work for free. Also, I don't think I would really use the level 3 treatments mobile, as they are mostly electrical, so I would probably be wasting money.

As for driving, I wouldn't be starting mobile for a few months, so hopefully it will give me time to practice lots before hand, I have family members who would be happy to take me out as much as poss if I wasn't totally confident at first.

I think I still ned to practice as much as possible, but I am quite confident in my treatments. I am a bit nervous at waxing new people, but I'm sure that would pass in time. My main concern is that I don't really have anything to compare my treatments to, so its hard to say how good I am.

To start out, I would have my car (if all goes well! lol), I've got most equipment, would need to buy a few bits, get my insurance, put some money into advertising, what about tax and stuff? Do I just pop in to my Citizens Advice Beureux? And is there anything else I need to do? Maybe get an accountant?

Also, what business courses would I benefit from?

I really feel like I'm at the point where I need to make a decision and stick to it. Its 2 years since I finished college, so the longer I leave it the harder it will be. Also, I suffered from really bad panic attacks for a few years, only just kind of over them now, so its like I've totally lost a couple of years of my life, and I feel like its a great oppurtunity to make up for that. Only thing is, I don't seem to have a lot of support from my family :irked:

I think I still ned to practice as much as possible, but I am quite confident in my treatments. I am a bit nervous at waxing new people, but I'm sure that would pass in time. My main concern is that I don't really have anything to compare my treatments to, so its hard to say how good I am.

Everything does get easier the more you do it. Waxing eyebrows was the scariest thing on earth for me at the beginning and then one day I just got it and now love it! It would be nice if you could do some treatments on people whose opinions you value, and are experienced in receiving treatments elsewhere, for them to give you feedback. You gotta believe you are good and as long as you care about what you are doing and the person you are working on then it will fall into place.

To start out, I would have my car (if all goes well! lol), I've got most equipment, would need to buy a few bits, get my insurance, put some money into advertising, what about tax and stuff? Do I just pop in to my Citizens Advice Beureux? And is there anything else I need to do? Maybe get an accountant?

Also, what business courses would I benefit from?

Insurance is vital, mine costs £49 a year. Just register yourself with the tax office as being self-employed which you can do online, and then see if you can save a % of any income in a ring-fenced account for potential tax but it is more likely that you won't earn enough and will have had enough expenses to mean that you won't have any tax to pay in the first year. Make sure you keep all receipts and log all mileage etc. It would be a good idea to ask around for a recomended accountant and see if you can have a no obligation chat. For the cost of the accountant could save you so much more. Check out your local Business Link to see if there is anything they can offer you by way of courses or support. Even choosing which bank account can be a mine field. But do not splash out on advertising at this stage - keep it low cost at this stage but not cheap looking if you know what I mean. You can print out decent leaflets onto thick paper and use a guillotine to cut it straight - ask for help from whoever might have the equipment you don't have. People do like to help where they can.

I really feel like I'm at the point where I need to make a decision and stick to it. Its 2 years since I finished college, so the longer I leave it the harder it will be. Also, I suffered from really bad panic attacks for a few years, only just kind of over them now, so its like I've totally lost a couple of years of my life, and I feel like its a great oppurtunity to make up for that. Only thing is, I don't seem to have a lot of support from my family :irked:

So you are already trained and qualified - good for you but reading between the lines you need to also be careful of not over extending yourself so that you are not back in a position of stress. Keep smiling and don't give up - you can do it. You gotta believe in yourself.

Bit of an essay this! Caroline x

Personally I think it depends on how confident and competent the therapist is.
You get experience by being mobile also! You are less inclined to pick up salons nasty habits. Client's won't just come and tap you on the shoulder though so i'm not gonna lie...it is HARD WORK. But the benefits are so rewarding.
Working in a spa made me realise how much I love working for myself and i'd never go back!

I started my own beauty studio at the back of my house last year. Set it up totally like a studio you'd go to in the highstreet. I also do a mobile service if needed. I had no salon experience but when I opened was asked to work or a local hotel when they needed someone so I agreed. I enjoyed this but my own business started to get busy so I had to give it up. Now I have a regular clientele working mostly on referrals from clients, local hairdressers are great for giving you customers / clients. I had my brochures in every coffee shop / petrol station nearby and bit by bit my business has grown. I'll never make a fortune but will enjoy trying. :lol:I'd say go for it I did and dont' regret it and was straight out of college too. I did take on Dermalogica which where a great help with getting my confidence up etc. You'll also find some beauticians near you that are willing to give you advice. I work closely with one that if i dont have stock or she doesnt we help each other out.
Best of luck with it. I cant believe i'm alrealy a year open this December!

Thanks again everyone, you all seem to be doing well with your businesses! I can't imagine it being easy, but I love the thought of all the work to do! Lol.

I thought a while age about setting up from home, but my parents weren't happy about it and said there was something in the deeds for the house that says they can't have a business from home.

I'm still in two minds about what to do. I'm scared that I put everything into it to find that I'm no good! Or make lots of mistakes. :irked:

Thanks again everyone, you all seem to be doing well with your businesses! I can't imagine it being easy, but I love the thought of all the work to do! Lol.

I thought a while age about setting up from home, but my parents weren't happy about it and said there was something in the deeds for the house that says they can't have a business from home.

I'm still in two minds about what to do. I'm scared that I put everything into it to find that I'm no good! Or make lots of mistakes. :irked:

Much better idea mobile than setting up in your parents house. Setting up there would mean you are tied there for probably longer than you want to be and you wouldnt be able to run things your own way.

When you first start out, mobile in a salon or at home, you WILL make mistakes, but this is how we get better. It cant be helped, but it is the good relationships you have with your clients and how much they like you that will get you through these times. They are likely to be much more understanding about mistakes if they like you as a person, so always remember to sell YOURSELF as much as your service.

It is a lot of work and will be unprofitable for a while but when you get going you will see the benefits. Being in a persons home often allows you a bit more time also when doing treatments as unless they have somewhere to go later, they are not usually in a rush whereas when people are the in middle of their shopping trip, they often are.

The most important thing about working mobile I find is you have to be FLEXIBLE and work in all conditions. You will have to work across terrible tables, on uneven floors, have to sit on cold floors, sit in freezing houses, boiling hot houses, houses with barely any plug sockets, sinks miles away from the treatment area and scary expensive looking carpets to try not to spill on.

You have to be able to adapt and work in different areas and work around what the client wants. Also to be organised is a big thing. Have the right things for 'just in case' moments.

Latest posts

Back