Mothers´ Day Ideas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatsClaws

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I lost my mum to cancer in June last year and I have been searching the internet for ideas on what to do for Mothers Day. I was hoping to find something special to do with the memories I have. I buy flowers at Birthday and Christmas so wanted to do something a bit more special. Does anybody have any ideas they can share with me?

Thanks x

what about a poem?

how about a scrapbook, with photos, pictures, ticketstubs, dried flowers, jewellrey , you can put anything into a scrapbook, and it will last forever if you use the correct acid/lignin free adehsives, something the grandkids will be able to treasure too

hths xxx

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum Cat. My Mum is battling breast cancer at the moment so my heart really really does go out to you. I've decided to do the Race for Life to show my appreciation for Cancer Research UK ~ they have been absolutely amazing to my Mum.

They have lots of them runnin all over the country so there is bound to be one near to you. The buzz that I imagine there will be on the day will create a memory for you that you will never forget ~ I bet your Mum would be proud of you doing it too! xx

Catsclaws,

what about making a patchwork quilt with some of your mum's items of clothing?

My sister took over making patchwork from me, and her first item was from my original patchworking, so I look at it and can see echos of me in it.

You could then invite members of the family to stitch a square each. They then will have 'ownership' of that item and feel that it is a memorial that you have all taken part in.

It doesn't have to be big, you could do a square and frame it, make a cushion out of it, or a small quilt.

I watched an american film a few years back, Winona Ryder was in it, and it was called HOW TO MAKE AN AMERICAN QUILT. It was a story about a group of women that met up once a week to sew a quilt and the stories that they shared with each other, Winona played a young girl who learnt from her peers. It makes me shed a tear just thinking about it.

Last edited:
Catsclaws,

what about making a patchwork quilt with some of your mum's items of clothing?

My sister took over making patchwork from me, and her first item was from my original patworking, so I look at it and can see echos of me in it.

You could then invite members of the family to stitch a square each. They then will have 'ownership' of that item and feel that it is a memorial that you have all taken part in.

It doesn't have to be big, you could do a square and frame it, make a cushion out of it, or a small quilt.

I watched an american film a few years back, Winona Ryder was in it, and it was called THE AMERICAN QUILT. It was a story about a group of women that met up once a week to sew a quilt and the stories that they shared with each other, Winona played a young girl who learnt from her peers. It makes me shed a tear just thinking about it.

That is such a lovely idea!

Sorry about your mum....How about a balloon with a note attached....:hug:

I haven't read the whole thread, because it kind of upsets me. (I lost my dad this year) But the idea's I had for dad's birthday were:

• Light a candle at the local church
  • Let off a balloon
  • Put flowers/card at the place of rest
  • Watch their favourite movie and have their favourite meal (as if you are doing it for them, so to speak...)
If I think of anymore, I will let u know. :hug: hope you're okay xx

EDIT: Sorry last year, I forgot its 2008 now duh!

Last edited:
:hug: UKRed....sorry to hear about your dad..xx

:hug:

I might be wrong in saying this but, there are forums that can help with alsorts (coping, illness, ideas for things like this) i'm part of them - Support Groups at DailyStrength. - I hope I dont offend anyone..... x

How about filling a balloon with forget me not seeds and a note attached or plant a rose bush in your garden :)

How about filling a balloon with forget me not seeds and a note attached or plant a rose bush in your garden :)

Thats a lovely idea!

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum Cat. My Mum is battling breast cancer at the moment so my heart really really does go out to you. I've decided to do the Race for Life to show my appreciation for Cancer Research UK ~ they have been absolutely amazing to my Mum.

They have lots of them runnin all over the country so there is bound to be one near to you. The buzz that I imagine there will be on the day will create a memory for you that you will never forget ~ I bet your Mum would be proud of you doing it too! xx

Hi,

I think that is a great idea Shellie.
I have thought about doing the race for life too, as my mum was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer back in October.
Unfortunately, there is nothing more they can do for my mum, and they have given her just months to live.
I'm so sorry for all of you who are also affected by cancer, and I wish all your friends/relatives the best.
I'm also here for any of you, if you need to talk.

on mothers day i allways take flowers to the cemetary and a mothers day card for my mum (i dont do alot as mothers day tends to feel worse than birthdays or her anniversary for some reason), the boys like to get helium balloons and send them to "heaven".
lells idea is a good one though so may do something like that myself.

How about visiting one of your mothers favourite places for a walk, lunch, picnic, dinner and remembering the happy times you had there with her.

Trish :hug:

Thank you all so much for your lovely ideas.

I have decided to buy a star and name it Mops as that is what I used to call mum and also to spend some time in the little village I lived in when I was growing up

Michelle, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum, my thoughts are with you, your family and especially your mum through this tough time :hug:

xxxxx

I was going to say buy a star

I have quite a few friends who have found great comfort in doing this

HI As a mum and a women with cancer i can tell you that the best thing my daughter can do for me is LOVE LIFE Show me everyday weather i'm here to see it in person or looking form above that she Loves everyday That she takes time to be a good Mum when it is her time and that she takes the little things i taughter her ie Cooking, Crafts Reading ect and shares them with others Weather her own children or someone elses Does that make sence?

Thank you all so much for your lovely ideas.

I have decided to buy a star and name it Mops as that is what I used to call mum and also to spend some time in the little village I lived in when I was growing up

Michelle, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum, my thoughts are with you, your family and especially your mum through this tough time :hug:

xxxxx

I'm glad that you have come to a decision ~ I think they are lovely ideas and perfect ways to mark the occasion xx

Latest posts

Back