My first complaint-need cheering up please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire@OBNMK

Reaction score
I gained 3 new clients about a month and a half ago, all from the same family mum, sister and daughter (15yrs old), all with the same kind of nails ( some nails very curved nail bed and other nails a bit flat, all nails have a ski jump to some degree).

I first gave them GHG extensions but there was always lifting and they'd always manage to break a couple of nails , I've now managed to convince them to have gelish as there nails are longer (I filed down the ghg to leave a thin layer and removed any lifting, some nails the GHG came off)

Anyway did all 3 of them on sat (28th), got a text saying the 15yr old has peeling on 3 nails (i did vitagel, 2/3 coats of sheek white, structure and top it off). I said i would fix it but it would be chargable. The aunt then said they weren't happy because they'd spent £24 for the girls nails and now her thumb has started to lift too and she spent £28 (the other sisters nails are ok, so far), she said she could understand if she got lifting at about a week but she thinks 4 days is not acceptable. I've told her that normally before 48hrs if anything happens i will fix for free but after that it's out of my hands, but if she sees me tomorrow I'll fix for free this time.

Can i just say I'm really confident with my application, I've had no complaints, all my regulars and new clients are happy, so i must be doing something right? yes?
She also told me when i first met her that her nails are rubbish, always splitting and when she's had acrylics on from the NSS salon some would pop off after a few days.

I feel really crap to be honest, I do have faith in myself but this has brought me down, I dont want any bad feedback , but I don't want people to think I'm a pushover.

BTW i fixed a clients nail the other day cos it chipped but i knew that was my fault because there was a sharp bit left on the free edge and she caught it on her tights and it chipped.

Last edited:
They're trying to push and you let them I'm afraid - why would you fix those nails free of charge? Why would you do it even within 48 hrs? As you said you get it right, you don't have any other complains then why on earth you wanna give away your time? Clients leave your place with perfect nails, what they do with them later is their problem.
Don't worry too much - there always will be complaining client, if you're confident you've done everything right don't be bothered. You don't want clients like this anyway, do you? :)

They're trying to push and you let them I'm afraid - why would you fix those nails free of charge? Why would you do it even within 48 hrs? As you said you get it right, you don't have any other complains then why on earth you wanna give away your time? Clients leave your place with perfect nails, what they do with them later is their problem.
Don't worry too much - there always will be complaining client, if you're confident you've done everything right don't be bothered. You don't want clients like this anyway, do you? :)

Someone said it could be the vitagel, so I'll do the repair using the normal gelish foundation and see how it goes, then if that doesn't stay on, theres no more that i can do.

xx

awww hun, :hug: I dread this happening as I think we all have to go through it, its how we deal with it that makes the difference I think

I would go with your gut on what 'type' of clients they are, do you feel they would take advantage, if so be clear that you are charging as this is your policy, if you think they are genuine maybe do it as a one off gesture of goodwill as sometimes this can go along way with 'good' clients it shows you go the extra mile (just be clear that it is one off and you are doing it out of goodwill)

you should not be EXPECTED to do anything for free, if you dropped a tray of eggs whilst unpacking your shopping you wouldn't go back into the supermarket and ask for a another free tray, so why should we be expected to give things away due to their lack of care

I am sure its nothing to do with your work as it all looks so fab, and you done well to get this far with no bad experiences so your should feel proud ;)

Last edited:
I would be inclined to fix them for free if they have chipped/lifted within 4 days.

I would get them in and go through what they have done. Go through thorough aftercare again etc.

£80 is a lot of money to lose from your business and if they are going to be regulars then I would just suck it up and re-do but just advise that they need to take care of their nails and that after that appointment if there are any issues then they will be chargeable as your policy states after 48hrs.

Yep I'm gonna fix for free this time and not use vitagel to see if that's the problem, I hope it works this time.

They are good clients but I'm worried they might see gel polish as some miracle cure! Also I don't want them to think I'm "blaming their nails" as the problem.

well she hasn't got back to me yet, so I've just got to wait and see.

I think although its an amazing product, its still not going to suit everyone and unfortunately some nails are problem nails, I understand how frustrating this must be but if they are looking after them and you are doing everything correctly it is clearly not for them

I told this to my friend after every time I applied it some nails would peel before the 2 weeks, so when she was hinting she wanted it done again I said I would love to but your clearly not a gelish girl and its making me feel imcompetant that it never lasts (as she was my practise model) she was a bit dissapointed but said she understood, a week later she asked me to do it and offered to pay (for the first time) so I agreed, guess what they actually lasted, she has been 4 times paying full price since, just made me realise freebies aren't always the best idea and that looking after them does actually work

Personally, I wouldn't judge any client or put them into any bracket (good clients, bad clients, money pushers) I just make it clear on my price lists and at the end of any treatment that repair after 24 hours is £2 per nail. This way it's in black and white that ur policy is free repair after one day cuz let's face it, if it was peeling this soon it is most likely down to your application. But anything free that will be wear and tear. They may be biters, constantly cleaning and using chemicals or even just they're nails aren't looked after.

Don't put urself out giving away free repairs all the time as the word will get round and u do it for one client u will have to do for all.

Biggest point....don't get down about it Hun. U win some, u lose some don't let it make u sad. Chin up :) xxxx

I always say I repair chips etc FOC within a week with Gelish because I think nearly everyone lasts longer than that. I don't use Vitagel because it always peels no matter what I do. I would redo them using normal base and see how they go. :biggrin:

Firstly any coating on a teenager doesn't last as long as it does on adults due to hormones, I never guarantee any kind of treatment on teenagers.

As for the others I would personally repair for free within a few days when it's happened to all of them and as you say they spend a lot with you. That's just me, I know my clients and know who I can go the extra mile for which is all of them to be honest!!!

If there nails are ski jump it could be putting excessive pressure on the gelish as the nails are growing, the clients should be made aware at the start of the treatment that due to the shape of their nails they experience problems and may not get the two weeks out of their treatment

Arghh it's so hard, i wish i knew exactly what the problem was.

Thanks for the ski jump advice, I'll make sure i do that for any clients who have nails like this, Before i begin treatment.

It could well be the Vitagel. I do like this product but I find that it doesn't last on most of my clients nails. I cant have anything on my nails for college, so I'm using my Vitagel up to do my own nails on Thursdays because I know that I will need to take them off on Monday night. I have had a few issues with one or two of mine lifting, and I'm sure it's the Vitagel combined with all the cleanse, mask and moisturiser I'm using to practice facials.

You know your clients, so you will be able to gauge whether they are genuine or out for a cheap deal. I always give mine the benefit of the doubt the first time, I think that's only fair. When I've been doing nails as long as Geeg, then No, I wont be giving freebies. But until then, I'm going to go with my gut instinct.

Look at it this way, you have had your first ever complaint. You need to learn how to deal with these, as it's all part of running a business and believe me, there are lots of people that DONT know how to deal with them. And that doesn't mean that you always offer refunds or freebies. It means that you acknowledge that someone is bringing a problem to your attention and you are being given the chance to do something about it. What that is, will always be your choice.
A complaint is basically feedback, plus it's free. It doesn't need to be a negative thing.

Good luck x

It could well be the Vitagel. I do like this product but I find that it doesn't last on most of my clients nails. I cant have anything on my nails for college, so I'm using my Vitagel up to do my own nails on Thursdays because I know that I will need to take them off on Monday night. I have had a few issues with one or two of mine lifting, and I'm sure it's the Vitagel combined with all the cleanse, mask and moisturiser I'm using to practice facials.

You know your clients, so you will be able to gauge whether they are genuine or out for a cheap deal. I always give mine the benefit of the doubt the first time, I think that's only fair. When I've been doing nails as long as Geeg, then No, I wont be giving freebies. But until then, I'm going to go with my gut instinct.

Look at it this way, you have had your first ever complaint. You need to learn how to deal with these, as it's all part of running a business and believe me, there are lots of people that DONT know how to deal with them. And that doesn't mean that you always offer refunds or freebies. It means that you acknowledge that someone is bringing a problem to your attention and you are being given the chance to do something about it. What that is, will always be your choice.
A complaint is basically feedback, plus it's free. It doesn't need to be a negative thing.

Good luck x

Thankyou :Love:

I love gelish but as with everything no 1 product is suited to everyone. Someone may rave about a new hair product, then you try it and it doesn't seem to give the same results. Everyone has different hair, skin and nails and what works for one wont always work for another. It may be that they are just not gel people. Its quite rare I find that but some people just don't get on with gel. In my experience which is only two clients with this problem they find that normal nail polish peels off them as well. See what happens from not using vitagel and go from there. Maybe try structure gel.
Go through all the steps methodically to reassure yourself you're doing everything right. Check your lamp is working correctly and is compatible with gelish and keep those side walls and cuticles clean. :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have heard lots of people have problems with vitagl which is why I've avoided it.

Personally I would not be happy if if paid for Gelish and they peeled in four days. That's not chipping which can be caused by rough handling. Sometimes we have to accept things go wrong.

I would redo for free in this instance - keeping the client happy.

I have heard lots of people have problems with vitagl which is why I've avoided it.

Personally I would not be happy if if paid for Gelish and they peeled in four days. That's not chipping which can be caused by rough handling. Sometimes we have to accept things go wrong.

I would redo for free in this instance - keeping the client happy.

I've offered to do for free but had no response from her. Maybe i didn't deal with it well enough (it doesn't help that I've stopped smoking :( ), I suppose I'll just have to learn from it I guess.

Thank you to all you geeks for giving me advice, this is a real learning curve

...and don't forget to keep things in perspective. It's only one client and one problem. 🌞

I've offered to do for free but had no response from her. Maybe i didn't deal with it well enough
There you go - don't blame yourself, some people just don't appreciate what they get for free.
Also it might be that Gelish doesn't last on her (like somebody rightly noticed) - I am like that, 1 week on my nails is a max while on my clients it lasts 3 weeks minimum. Same with gel and acrylics - I have oily nails and nothing lasts. If I didn't do it myself I wouldn't pay for it as it's not worth it - maybe she's got to this conclusion and will give it up completely?
One way or another - none of your fault :)

Latest posts

Back