My own family isn't happy for me!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KateeLouise

Reaction score
Hey geeks just a little bit of a rant really, I am opening my own salon as I have come into some money (decent amount) anyways told my mum I was going through with it and she was like well you will get in debt and won't be able to afford anything and basically made me feel like rubbish, my mum didn't have money when she was younger and her parents never helped her out she always brings this into things when we argue, my friends have all said I am really good at what I do and will go far, I have had the worst life really to start off with due to losing my son after a week of survival and losing my first pet aswell over 5 years, my mum keep asking me to have children but I have said no as I want to be successful and rich and have nice things. So as you can guess when I said no that caused an argument and my grandma stood up for me saying I have ages yet as I am 21. Anyways basically I am just fed up with my family always put a down side to things for me and never wish me luck or be happy and slag me off behide my back and when my brother tells me my mum lies and says she doesn't !!! So you probably can guess the madness of my mums family :/ it's nice to just get it on my chest x

That's so sad, I'm in the process of leasing my own salon and it's scarey enough with the love and support of my friends and family so you must feel very isolated.

All I can say is go out there and make your dreams come true, use all that negativity to give you strength and prove them wrong!!

Good luck, you can do it!! xxx

I'm happy for you. :) I think it's brilliant that you have the cash to do it. Do loads of research before you commit to anything and you will be successful :) wishing you all the luck in the world. You have LOADS of time to do all the other things and they will be easier with money! Get your head down and work hard while you have no other responsibilities x

What a shame ... we're happy for you though!

That's terrible that your family isn't happy for you. You seem to know what you want and regardless of what your family says are going to go for it. I say good for you. I think it's better to always go for what you want rather than look back and wonder. Good luck to you.

Okay - apologies, but I'm a mum of a 20 year old. Listen to the advice of your geek family - do your research, don't just rush into it because you have the money - I'm not saying you are, just advising caution. I'm 48 and terrified of my next step - about to move to new premises. My daughter works with me, but the thought of her opening a salon.....she's a very gorgeous ditz!!! Everyone on here wishes you the very best, so PLEASE let us all know how things go - and as someone who doesn't get on with her mum, the following advice....You can't change people and how they are towards you, but you can change whether or not you let it affect you. GOOD LUCK - sorry, coming over all maternal again lol!

Maybe they're worried for you and that's coming across as negative energy towards you.

Either way, you're doing what you think is right and you're doing the best you can to make it work and that's what matters :)

Best of luck with it :)

Aww Hun, I know that feeling re: families. But don't let it get to you, you have us geeks we can give you love and support. As has already been said research as much as possible. I wish you all the luck in the world in your new venture! Keep us posted Hun xxx

Thank you all I have done research in the area I have for about 1 year now, the is no nail salon in town and lots of the local people are people I know and already my customers they have all said I should open up in town as ill have passing trade aswell, I have got all stock and equipment already due to working in previous salons, I won't have to pay business rates as its exempt, I plan on doing abit of hair aswell and selling handbags purses so really a little boutique shop :) I don't have bills at home to pay as my partner pays morgage and bills so only thing I pay for will be rent of shop and electric,water and my insurance which is a 1 of payment and get 1st 3months rent free :) and the rent is really low and already was a salon 10years ago and closed down due to old owner passing away xx

It sounds brilliant. Let us know how it goes x

Your mums jealous of you. If she was worried your too irresponsible to have a salon then why is she telling you to have kids. It's a horrible realisation that a family member has not got your best interests at heart. But it happens sometimes, ok so your only 21 but there's no time like the present. Your investing in your future and as long as you have a financial advisor/accountant etc then you don't need your mums approval! Go for it Hun xxx

Hey geeks just a little bit of a rant really, I am opening my own salon as I have come into some money (decent amount) anyways told my mum I was going through with it and she was like well you will get in debt and won't be able to afford anything and basically made me feel like rubbish, my mum didn't have money when she was younger and her parents never helped her out she always brings this into things when we argue, my friends have all said I am really good at what I do and will go far, I have had the worst life really to start off with due to losing my son after a week of survival and losing my first pet aswell over 5 years, my mum keep asking me to have children but I have said no as I want to be successful and rich and have nice things. So as you can guess when I said no that caused an argument and my grandma stood up for me saying I have ages yet as I am 21. Anyways basically I am just fed up with my family always put a down side to things for me and never wish me luck or be happy and slag me off behide my back and when my brother tells me my mum lies and says she doesn't !!! So you probably can guess the madness of my mums family :/ it's nice to just get it on my chest x
It sounds to me as though your mum is jealous of your drive and ambition and feels bitter that you are aspiring to much more than she could. It's such a shame that she can't feel proud of you and be supportive of your dreams and plans instead.

Sadly, there are times when we need to step back from people who are creating negativity in our lives and keeping us from our goals. If possible, try calmly sitting your mum down and telling her how her behaviour is making you feel.....it's possible that she feels worried about you failing and losing your money and it's coming out the wrong way. If, however, she is simply resentful then I suggest you refuse to discuss the subject with her and go ahead and make your plans.

I honestly don't mean this in a patronising way so please don't take offence...If you haven't already done so, please see a business adviser who can guide you and make sure that your plans are viable. There is so much more to running a successful business than just opening a salon. Competition is tough and business rates are very high. Just make sure that your business plans are financially sound and that you budget very carefully to ensure that every last penny of your money is well spent and/or accounted for.

It could be that taking business advice and then sharing this with your mum could help banish any worries that she might have about you.

All the best
PB
x

Go out there, get yourself a salon, be really successful and live your life. No one has a crystal ball that can predict the future. You may do brilliantly, you may fail. But if you don't try, you will never know. Go for it and good luck! Oh and we all want pics and updates!!!

If you have the money to attempt to follow your dream then go for it. At your age if it doesn't work then you know you have given it a go. Nothing worse than getting older and regretting not doing something, if beauty is your passion go for it, and if you are truly passionate and have done your market research then I can see no reason why it would not work.
i know where you are coming from, similar situation having left full time well paid job that i hated and had no future for me. my dad is negative about everything i do, every new idea i come up with. i honestly believe he wished id have met a man at 20 and had kids and been a full time mum instead I'm working 14 hour days every day to make this work and try to earn a good wage but its not enough for him.
do what feels right, follow your dream and eatch it work.

"You should regret what you do rather than what you have failed to do"
If you don't do this, you will always be wondering how it would have worked out. Your mum can't live your life for you. She sounds very risk adverse.
I'm sorry to hear about your son but with this venture life is looking very exciting for you
good luck

Thank you all I have every bit of research possible I have told my mum what she is like and says she isn't like what I say and still carets on with me, always asks same questions to me aswell saying I won't have anything to show if blow all my money.as she knows my salon will fail she says, I have told her and every 1 else who can't be happy that I will be successful with or without there help I don't need there negative ways round me and my booming future. I shall upload pictures once get keys :) xx

Good luck! I hope it all works out for you xxx

Wishing you the best of luck babe :) I got given a couple of chances when I was 19-23 and I didn't take them, always regret that so if you have this chance, take it and don't let anyone stand in the way of your dreams.
The cow in me would be inclined to say no freebies or discounts to family/friends who have doubted you, my answer would be..."I can't build and run a successful business by giving charity" they will be chewing on their words :)

All the best with your new venture! Do what you want and not what family think is best for you it's your life not theirs!x

This could have been written by me my family are the same. They all work and survive but never strive for better. Anyone who does gets grief. When I opened my salon I was told the same from them, I was told I have it to easy and they struggled all their days. I know all of this and that's why I want better for my kids. I completely appreciate what my family have given me and made me the person I am, but lives to short and yes they have coped but very few of them are happy. Anytime I do something goo or achieve anything there is always a negative response it deflates me. I love my family with all my heart but don't consult them or discuss my business with them anymore it just causes arguments so I now just say yeh business is fine, end of :) they will think what they want anyway. Surround yourself with positive people and don't let negativity destroy your dreams. If you want success as much as you want to breath you will be successful best of luck with your salon :D

Latest posts

Back