Nail course & qualification questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkFish

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been lurking on the forums for a couple of days reading through threads etc and have decided to do an Essential Nails Fibreglass course - I don't get a lot of spare time so I don't really have any options other than a home study.

There are 2 two packages for Fibreglass on the EN website - one with the nail trainer costing £361 and one without which is £293. After coming across this brilliant thread which suggested making a finger out of blu tac, can I just skip the nail trainer and save myself a few £s? Bearing in mind I am a nail newbie with the only experience being painting my (and friends') nails! However I love doing it so decided to enroll on a course. Are there any advantages of using the nail trainer over making blu tac fingers?

It also says on the EN website that once you pass one of their courses, you receive a certificate allowing you to obtain insurance and start work straightaway as a nail technician. How accurate is this claim? I personally thought being a qualified nail technician requires you to offer all kinds of nail services and not just one, plus experience in working with real nails. If you have done one of their courses and decided to work with nails professionally, have you encountered any problems with other companies in the industry not recognizing their certification?

Apologies for the somewhat lengthy post, any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reading :)

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm no expert, but as far as I'm aware, as soon as you're qualified and have your certificate, you can work!!!! Don't do what I did though, I trained with creative 3 years ago and didn't do many nails, then gave up to have my son! Back at it now, but need more practice!!! HTH XXXX:confused:

Hi hun, welcome to the site :hug:

I cant comment on the Insurance aspect but I would definitely recommend the hand trainer. They don't complain and will sit quietly for hours while you play. It also gives you a feel of where the other fingers on the hand are rather than just dealing with one nail.

Hun i would highly recommend getting the course with the nail trainer it will become your best friend believe me!! Its worth the few extra pounds and will pay for itself when it comes to practising.

As for insurance yes you can get insurance once you ahve completed the course im with professional beauty direct and i know the guild will insure you with an EN certificate.

HTH

Hi,
I'm no expert, but as far as I'm aware, as soon as you're qualified and have your certificate, you can work!!!! Don't do what I did though, I trained with creative 3 years ago and didn't do many nails, then gave up to have my son! Back at it now, but need more practice!!! HTH XXXX:confused:

That's what their website states, but I just don't know if I'll have any problems with the certification afterwards if I was to work as a nail tech. I'll make sure I practise loads though!

Hi hun, welcome to the site :hug:

I cant comment on the Insurance aspect but I would definitely recommend the hand trainer. They don't complain and will sit quietly for hours while you play. It also gives you a feel of where the other fingers on the hand are rather than just dealing with one nail.

Ah that's a good point... should I try to make a blu tac hand? I'm a cheapskate I know :lol:

Thank you both for your replies!

Hun i would highly recommend getting the course with the nail trainer it will become your best friend believe me!! Its worth the few extra pounds and will pay for itself when it comes to practising.

As for insurance yes you can get insurance once you ahve completed the course im with professional beauty direct and i know the guild will insure you with an EN certificate.

HTH

Ah brilliant thank you for the reassurance. How much does insurance usually cost? Is it basically for covering any accidents etc?

Hm I guess I'll get the trainer hand then...it's probably a better long term alternative for an extra £70.

Note to self: must type faster :lol:

You will regret it if you don't get the nail trainer hun, she or he :) will become your best friend, well worth the money, and future clients will thank you, cause hopefully all your problems will be sorted out on the trainer, oh and its a MUST to give it a name, mines called Widget.
Is there any particular reason why your going for fibreglass nails as your first course hun, there's nothing wrong with it, I was just wondering as Acrylic and Gel are more called for usually...:hug: x

Since the nail trainer has been recommended so many times...nail trainer it is! :)

The main reason for fibreglass is because it's the one I'd choose for myself - could look very natural, and is gentlest on the nails which I prefer.

I've had acrylics before and I didn't like them; don't know whether it's the nature of acrylics or because of the tech who applied them but they were very, very hard, a little uncomfortable and I couldn't get used to them. I figured if I were to spend hundreds on a course, it would need to be the one I'm most interested in. Fibreglass is also (apparently) the easiest to remove, and if I did them on myself I'd want to remove them when I want without too much hassle.

You will regret it if you don't get the nail trainer hun, she or he :) will become your best friend, well worth the money, and future clients will thank you, cause hopefully all your problems will be sorted out on the trainer, oh and its a MUST to give it a name, mines called Widget.

Mines called Betty and shes so nice never complains:lol::lol:

The main reason for fibreglass is because it's the one I'd choose for myself - could look very natural, and is gentlest on the nails which I prefer.

I've had acrylics before and I didn't like them; don't know whether it's the nature of acrylics or because of the tech who applied them but they were very, very hard, a little uncomfortable and I couldn't get used to them. I figured if I were to spend hundreds on a course, it would need to be the one I'm most interested in. Fibreglass is also (apparently) the easiest to remove, and if I did them on myself I'd want to remove them when I want without too much hassle.

With respect if you're looking to work as a Nail Tech it's not about what you want it's what clients will pay you to do! Acrylic (Liquid & Powder) is by far the most requested system and by choosing to do a less popular system you will not hook a lot of potential clients.

IMO you are better off doing both classroom training and L&P as your first course.

hth's

Unfortunately I don't have enough spare time to do a classroom course, home study is flexible so that's ideal for me :)

At present I'm really not keen on doing acrylic first, but I'll probably change my mind later if I discover no one wants fibreglass :lol:

Its a very costly change! I cant imagine you'd want to if you wont even shell out for a piece of equipment! The nail trainer is one of the best inventions over the last years and maybe you should hold off before heading into the industry as it is prob better to save up wait until your annual leave and do a 5 day foundation course with CND or BIo sculpture. Fibreglass nails maybe gentle but they break down easily and are only for a certain type of client. Do a search and abit more research. Bio is very gentle and is prob more popular.

p.s I'm not calling you cheap I'm just saying that its hard to pay more when you have already paid out once and been disappointed.

Hello Rear Admiral et al
Pse can you tell me how much is the 5day foundation course and the locations? Where can I purchase the training hand in the UK?
Thanks a lot!

why dont you look on ebay for the stuff you need, I always get my stuff from there. Abi

hey hun i was going to do a acrylic tip & overlay course through EN and got my nail trainer off ebay for £60 even though im not on a nail course ive been practicing a little,i would reccommend getting the nail trainer its good as it allows you to practice as if you would with a real client...moving the fingers rotating the wrist etc you wont regret spending the money cos i sure havent :) ive decided now that i would like to do a VTCT level 2 nail services course through my local college thats the only reason why i didnt join with en but ive bought products from there and spoke with members of staff on the EN team and they are all so lovely and helpful hth :)

x

Latest posts

Back