Nail Enhancement on 10 year old - Opinions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annasmum

Reaction score
I have just started my L&P course yesterday. I am a little short on models to practice on. Now please don't bite my head off but my 10 year old is more than willing to let me practice on her. Now under normal circumstances there is no way I would take her to a salon to have enhancements at that age.

But if I

1. don't remove the shine on her nails too much and am really careful
2. only use one layer of primer rather than two
3. use solar oil on the cuticle area

would there be any problem using her to practice? I realise the nails probably won't stay on for long. (Have even tried to just not use any primer but she would be rather disappointed if after having to sit there for ages she has nothing to show for it) What are your thoughts? Would I damage her nails? This won't be a long term thing either. Already told her I would soak them off after no later than 2 weeks.

personally i wouldnt. what about school? and what if she ripped one while playing or doing sports at school?

why not get a practise hand.

lisa.x

To be honest i would practice on a hand trainer and not a 10 year old girl.

will you damage them.....??? you may well do....cos most of us have at some point when we first started out made our nails red and sore from over filing.

i wouldnt try it on a 10yr old, you dont want to put ridges in her nails, if she breaks a nail at school during sports it will hurt her.

find some neices or gather some mates around and practice on them or ask your lil ones mates mothers/ sisters if they dont mind helping you out.

I have just started my L&P course yesterday. I am a little short on models to practice on. Now please don't bite my head off but my 10 year old is more than willing to let me practice on her. Now under normal circumstances there is no way I would take her to a salon to have enhancements at that age.

But if I

1. don't remove the shine on her nails too much and am really careful
2. only use one layer of primer rather than two
3. use solar oil on the cuticle area

would there be any problem using her to practice? I realise the nails probably won't stay on for long. (Have even tried to just not use any primer but she would be rather disappointed if after having to sit there for ages she has nothing to show for it) What are your thoughts? Would I damage her nails? This won't be a long term thing either. Already told her I would soak them off after no later than 2 weeks.

If this is the case, then I wouldn't have thought that you really considered it ?!

A 'normal' salon would have staff with experience, possibly tens of years of experience, who should give a 1st class service, so if you wouldn't go there, then surely you wouldn't use her a model for yourself?! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't either. Little girl's nails tend to be exceptionally thin.

When you are starting out, it is all too easy to put pressure on the file that you don't know you are using.

And although she is 'safe' at home with you while you monitor her, the dangers that can occur at school are too much of a big risk to take. It only takes her to catch it on something and for her nail to totally rip off.

Nope... im thinking the nails are far too soft at 10 years old......and to have them on for any length of time is asking for trouble....she could catch one really badly....

Buy a nail trainer.....x

Okay you've all got me convinced. Now how do I get out of that one? :lol: She is nagging right when will I do her nails? Guess it will have to be a polish job with maybe a little nail art. Thanks for your advice.

Okay you've all got me convinced. Now how do I get out of that one? :lol: She is nagging right when will I do her nails? Guess it will have to be a polish job with maybe a little nail art. Thanks for your advice.

Yes, that definatley the best option for a 10 yr old - loads of bling & glitter & she'll be none the wiser lol!

I'd invest in a training hand to help you with your practise, or find some older willing models.:hug:
10 yrs is very young - I did not do my daughters nails until she was 13 & that was only during the school hols & then I soaked them off after she lost the 1st one on a trampoline!!!!

I agree with has been said. I would definetly buy a nail trainer. I got one with my inicial course and it has been an unvaluable tool ever since. First i practiced my technique, then my nail art, then it gathered some dust, but now use it for job interviews for my nail salon (before i give my nails to a total stanger) and if they stay and need practice, they practice on it... Tip application, gel application, precision polishing, nail art... everything...

I absolutely agree....wouldn't do it on a ten year old. I don't think it is a good idea.

I think by posing the question here, you already knew your answer as you didn't feel it was right.

I used my daughter for polish practice in the early days. It was v good practice as her nails were quite small so I had to be extra precise not to paint on the cuticles!

Since she was 10, I have Bio Sculpted her toes each summer holiday when we go abroad in a lovely pink with some art on the big toes which she loves. Unfortunately, one or two tend to come off as she's in the water 99% of the time and certain sun creams don't agree with the gel. Also, youngsters' nails tend to be much more flexible than adult nails too so are not particularly suited to enhancements.

everyone else has commented but I had a thought, why not use yourself? You're the best judge of how it will feel when you do someone else. nad if you can do yourself and make them fabulous then you can do anyone! plus there is no commitment. Your left hand won't complain if you mess it up, or cut it, or are late on a fill in. ha ha. jut be careful. My ridges I made on my thumbs from practicing when i started out have just now disappeared and that was 7 years ago. good luck finding models! also if you don't intend for the nails to stay on long, put lotion or cuticle oil on the nail bed before you apply and they will lift right off in a few days.

everyone else has commented but I had a thought, why not use yourself? You're the best judge of how it will feel when you do someone else. nad if you can do yourself and make them fabulous then you can do anyone! plus there is no commitment. Your left hand won't complain if you mess it up, or cut it, or are late on a fill in. ha ha. jut be careful. My ridges I made on my thumbs from practicing when i started out have just now disappeared and that was 7 years ago. good luck finding models! also if you don't intend for the nails to stay on long, put lotion or cuticle oil on the nail bed before you apply and they will lift right off in a few days.

Well that's just what I did. :) Just posted the result of my first go of pink and white sculpture. Only learnt them today. Supposed to have my first go on a real hand tomorrow. :o So cheating a little.

Latest posts

Back