Nail Foil

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

champagne

Reaction score
Hi All

I have searched for the answer but am still confused...

I have purchased some animal print foil for some L&P tips that a client wants.

My question is this: Can I place the foil onto the tips before placing them on the nails? Or is it best to cover the nail tips after they have been placed on the nails?

Secondly, which adhesive should I use?

Thirdly, any help would be greatly appreciated, this is something I have never attempted before....

Thank you Geeks x

Hi to my knowledge you need to use a special foil adhesive which is called "Foil Adhesive". Also I am not sure it would sit well under acrylic if that is what you intend to do (just with you asking if you could apply the foil to the tips before fitting to a client). I don't think the foil will react very well when you place your acrylic over it. So unless you have the correct adhesive I am not sure how you would go about this. I am not a fan of foils I find them too fiddly and a bit too much messing around but thats just my opinion, maybe another geek will have more advise for you. x

I was either going to overlay them with L&P or place them on the competed nails and gel coat the nails with a uv gel coat....

Hmmm me needs a bit more advice I think lol

:green:Sounds like a job for Minx methinks.......

Put tips on first use your foil adhesive wait till it goes clear as its white when its first applyed, then place foil on nail and pull off quickly. the trick is to make sure it goes clear before you put on foil.xxxx hth

I'd give it a try before the client came, as I've found with the ones I have that you also have to use the polish top coat it comes with rather than just any polish top coat, otherwise it goes all crinkly. Don't know what it would go under gel or L+P though. Let us know if it works out xx

Thank you all. i will try it out on the dressers first..

Even just try it on a tip first to see. If it goes crinkly you can have a rethink xx

It all depends on what kind of foil you have:
Transfer foil
Nugget foil (like gold leaf that you use a fan brush to smooth on)
Water release foils
Shredded foils (I know you don't have this one, since you said it has a print on it)

Foil Primer/Adhesive is needed for the first.
Not for the other 3.
I've encapsulated all 4 within gel, but I don't work with L&P. Sorry.
But you'd have to experiment to see if the monomer affects the colour/pattern of the foil that you have. Try on a tip first, to see what methods work best for you.

I know monomer bleeds colour from cheap bullion beads or cheap glitter and other crafty things. It may do the same to the foils.

Sorry that I can't help more.

Hi All

I have searched for the answer but am still confused...

I have purchased some animal print foil for some L&P tips that a client wants.

My question is this: Can I place the foil onto the tips before placing them on the nails? Or is it best to cover the nail tips after they have been placed on the nails?

Secondly, which adhesive should I use?

Thirdly, any help would be greatly appreciated, this is something I have never attempted before....

Thank you Geeks x

Ok, this got my curiosity buzzing! :lol: So i had a play.

I firstly put the adhesive directly onto the tip, waited till clear, applied foil and it didn't come off properly.

Next i coated the area i wanted the foil on with clear polish and went on with the foil and it worked as per normal.
I then applied the L&P using Popits (rather than brush over the foil) and the foil 'cracked' (for want of a better word) under the overlay and a portion seemed to disintegrate.

I used a foil that you get on a roll (Special FX) and it was a shiny, feather pattern but will have another play with less metallic ones.:lol:

i had a play too (what are we like :lol:)
i applied l&p to a tip then overlayed with a silver holographic foil,
then overlayed the foil with l&p,
it didn't work, lost all holographic effect, went a dull silver, and looked like it had a crackle effect hth

Ok you made me think and I have had a play, I have used a tip and applyed clear overlay, filed and buffed. I then added the foil adhesive, waited, applied the foil, then applied my gel top coat over the top and cured.

There was was no crinkleing or cracking it was still smooth and shiny. I was very suprised and will be doing this on a cuple of my fingernails to road test them and see how they go.

This may have a different affect with different UV gel top coats though.

Latest posts

Back