Nail Shape & Best Suited to ???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twink

Reaction score
Hi.

Im at the end of all my evidence gethering for my NVQ now and i have searched my book back to front and i cant find the ans to this question. can anyone please help me??

Lits 4 main nail shapes
Identify characteristics and anatomy that would suit each type

well i can list the 4 as in Squovel, square, round and oval

but when on earth are they on about characteristics and anatomy that would suit each type..... eh ???????

maybe im being a right idiot and looking too much into this but ive googled it , looked in text book and been on the c&g web page.

Can n e 1 help me pwwwwwease :o
pippa x x x

Hi,

my guess would be that they are asking you to describe what the difference is between the different nail shapes and what type of client each shape would suit?

No .. what they are asking for is (in plain English) What physical characteristics of the clients' hands would help you to choose the most suitable design of nail shape (the four you listed) for their particular hands.

IOW for what reasons would you choose a square nail for one client or a almond shaped nail for another, a squoval for another and round for another? What would make you think, Oval would really suit this client and so on?

''IOW for what reasons would you choose a square nail for one client or a almond shaped nail for another, a squoval for another and round for another? What would make you think, Oval would really suit this client and so on? ''Geeg
Yes that would be my understanding also -
Personally though I discuss preferences with the customer - length and suggest to try to mirror the shape of the natural cuticle - this usually creates an elegant effect and looks most natural.

''IOW for what reasons would you choose a square nail for one client or a almond shaped nail for another, a squoval for another and round for another? What would make you think, Oval would really suit this client and so on? ''Geeg
Yes that would be my understanding also -
Personally though I discuss preferences with the customer - length and suggest to try to mirror the shape of the natural cuticle - this usually creates an elegant effect and looks most natural.

My answer was geared to helping the poster to come to the right conclusion herself, without giving her the answers. We don't do homework for students here on the site but rather try to help them to find the answers themselves.

Thanks for your help... yes i figured that was what they ment but i know C&G are very fussy about how you word your answers. also i thought nail shape was personal pref. what i feel would look good on 1 person my not reflect what the next nail tech would thing .... so i was just wondering if there was a set proto type ??? i have looked everywhere online and in my books and found nothing.

Anyways thanks Cait, thats the ans i found online too ( i did look for myself too )

Thanks for your help... yes i figured that was what they ment but i know C&G are very fussy about how you word your answers. also i thought nail shape was personal pref. what i feel would look good on 1 person my not reflect what the next nail tech would thing .... so i was just wondering if there was a set proto type ??? i have looked everywhere online and in my books and found nothing.

Anyways thanks Cait, thats the ans i found online too ( i did look for myself too )

Well t really isn't the answer, not the complete answer anyway .... OK I can't help myself!!

Question .. Identify characteristics and anatomy that would suit each type???

What are characteristics of the anatomy??
Fat fingers? thin fingers? long fingers? short stumpy fingers? wide nail beds?narrow nail beds? long nail beds? short nail beds? round cuticle line? square cuticle line? fan shaped nails? ski jump nails? bitten nails? Filbert nails? slim hands? Pudgy hands?

ALL these things and more help you with a formula for choosing the correct shape and length of the nails you make. YOU are the expert (supposedly) that people come to for advice and to make their hands look their prettiest. It is NOT about personal preference at MY nail desk, it is about what will look the best, and I advise. That's my job.

For example ... How do you think square nails would look on fat stumpy fingers with short nail beds and a round cuticle-line?? Hmmm? Would you advise that shape?? Good grief NO. Clients don't know what looks good ... WE are supposed to know what will look good, and tell THEM.

Last edited:
Wellit really isn't the answeer not he complete answer anyway .... OK I can't help myself!!

Question .. Identify characteristics and anatomy that would suit each type???

What are characteristics of the anatomy??
Fat fingers? thin fingers? long fingers? short stumpy fingers? wide nail beds?narrow nail beds? long nail beds? short nail beds? round cuticle line? square cuticle line? fan shaped nails? ski jump nails? bitten nails? Filbert nails? slim hands? Pudgy hands?

ALL these things and more help you with a formula for choosing the correct shape and length of the nails you make. YOU are the expert (supposedly) that people come to for advice and to make their hands look their prettiest. It is NOT about personal preference at MY nail desk, it is about what will look the best and I advise. That's my job.

For example ... How do you think square nails would look on fat stumpy fingers with short nail beds and a round cuticle-line?? Hmmm? Would you advise that shape?? good grief NO. Clients don't know what looks good ... WE are supposed to know what will look good and tell THEM.

Now Geeg..I cant help myself either .;). but EXACTLY ... your comment to me was fair of course (I had a feeling it would come but I felt justified) as I was only giving a nudge in the right direction .. of course my answer was not the whole picture .. that I believe has now been covered ..
Didnt mean to step on any toes.
Cait x

are you sure its not asking for nail shape being spoon, hooked, fan and flat, and how you would deal with them my customising treatment

are you sure its not asking for nail shape being spoon, hooked, fan and flat, and how you would deal with them my customising treatment

Here is the question again ... "Lits 4 main nail shapes.
Identify characteristics and anatomy that would suit each type.

My answer is no, they are asking not for the weird nail shapes that require other special applications.

Latest posts

Back