Nails on the side

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladylee

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering does anyone have a full-time job in the day that is not doing nails?
I left the shop I was working in and went back to my old job working as a Teaching Assistant. I want to do nails on the side in the evenings, weekends and I have all summer to do them. I am just looking for some advise on how I should go about this. I have thought about traveling and also about doing them at home making my den work as a salon/den.
I am leaning more toward doing them home because sometimes it is a pain to pack-up, set-up, un-pack when I get home where at home I just have to get out what i need and clean up when done.
Any advise would help.
Thanks
Lisa

I work full time in a hotel at the moment and work mobile in my free time. It works for now but I would like to have a little place of my own one day

I work fulltime in a football club as an administration officer, and a part time nail tech after hours (up to 15 hrs a week) I find this to be a good balance, as I keep my regulars very happy (not having to fight for appointments), and I can still earn a decent living with my first job. :)

I am a cover supervisor in a school and am just about to embark on being a mobile nail tech evenings and weekends and as you say during the school holidays too.

I am just about to register the business with inland revenue and the business account is just about up and running. I needed to do everything properly because my ex husband would have notified inland revenue anyway the b****** and my husband to be is an officer of the law.

Good luck with your venture and by keeping your existing non nail job too you have a guaranteed income.

i work full time eves and wkends in a call centre and daytimes and my 2 eves off if required doing nails from home.

i have worked full time in a nail salon, but i got fed up being treated more like a cleaner, as i was the youngest in there. she never gave me a pay rise either despite the fact that min wage went up every year. i ended up being on less than min wage by the time i left!!

i have also worked self employed in another salon, but this didnt work out either as despite how many times i rang to find out what bookings i had for the next day, nobody would inform of any extra bookings or cancellations. the amount of times i would get a call in the morning to say i should have been there 20mins ago as i had a customer waiting for me, or actually arrive to find people had cancelled/re-scheduled!!

now i work appointments around myself, and all my customers know i am pretty flexible when im not in my full time job which works out really well.xx

I'm a full time secretary and do nails in a salon on weekends or at an assisted living facility on Thursdays. I LOVE nails but unfortunately, there is not enough $$$ in it for me to quit my day job.

You could call around to assisted living facilities and see if they need a nail tech. Honestly, the packing and unpacking is nothing...I have it down to a science. Best of luck to you! :)

Right now I've gone back to school, so not doing nails full-time anymore.

What I wan't to add though is all of you thinking you can do nails during holidays etc, just keep in mind that most of your clients want to be able to come back. So if you work full-time during a month, then what about those who would like rebalances or keep having manicures? How would you fit them in your calendar when working again? Or has anybody tried this and it works fine?

I would be afraid that clients would start going elsewhere or be "mad" if you have the time to start them and then don't continue, if you know what I mean. It's not just about a few clients as in a fulltime salon(where you have to expect a few not going to come back usually), but it would be a lot if you went from fulltime one month, to parttime or less the other...

Right now I've gone back to school, so not doing nails full-time anymore.

What I wan't to add though is all of you thinking you can do nails during holidays etc, just keep in mind that most of your clients want to be able to come back. So if you work full-time during a month, then what about those who would like rebalances or keep having manicures? How would you fit them in your calendar when working again? Or has anybody tried this and it works fine?

I would be afraid that clients would start going elsewhere or be "mad" if you have the time to start them and then don't continue, if you know what I mean. It's not just about a few clients as in a fulltime salon(where you have to expect a few not going to come back usually), but it would be a lot if you went from fulltime one month, to parttime or less the other...

Oh I understand what you are saying. From my point I meant that instead of having to do them evenings and weekends that during school holidays I could fit existing clients in during the day as well if need be. I am just starting out so have a long way to go yet. Advice on here is invaluable.

im fulltime nails and beauty, i used to have a full time job too but i hated it so i finished there and concentrated on what i really wanted to do!
i love my job now and wouldnt want to go back to my old job:smack:...i have a home based salon and im expecting my first baby in july so its really handy to be at home and work!

I used to work mon - fri doing admin on construction sites whilst doing nails and beauty in the evenings. Its hard work after doing a 9-5 to then come home and go back to work!! Anyway June of last year i took the plunge and took on a small salon of 3 treatment rooms, best thing i ever do - i love my job, although i am not making much money ( after rent, bills etc) i am doing what i love .....

:)

I work full time as a beauty therapist ( but its not my only job i have another home based job) But both fit around anytimes i just fit them around eachother.

hths x

I work full time 9-5 as a legal administrator and do nails afterwork and on the weekends. It's hard doing both but can't afford to give up the day job but I'm happy doing both at the moment eventhough it can be tiring.:zzz: Yes, the unpacking and packing up can be a pain but I try to make life a little easier by packing certain things into different compartments/levels of my case which makes it a bit quicker depending on what treatment I am doing i.e. one level for manicure, one pedicure, one acrylic, one gel etc. so that I don't end up unpacking things I won't be needing.:lol:

I work as a bookkeeper during the day, and intend to do the nails evening/weekends to increase my income

Those who have other jobs...would you like to be able to do nails full time...? is it just the money thing...?

i actually enjoy nails now. as much as i loved doing nails when i very first started, i grew to hate the people i worked with due to their attitudes, which as a result caused me to stop enjoying nails.
i do nails now because i want to, not because i have to for money, so i actually enjoy it more. im also more willing to try new things such as nail art and im planning on going back to college in sept to get my nvq in nails..xx

I used to work full-time nails, but had to do other things in the salon too, so not working 37 hours a week (fulltime in DK) but was expected to work rather 60 - 70 hours a week.
At the same time I accepted a low salary because I really wanted to be a nailtech, but I just couldn't cope with the stress of low salary, high hours (that wasn't done when I got home, I was phoned after hours too, and expected to work with graphic material and website at home) AND I never got to se my children.
All this led to me havin a stress-reaction, and although I would love to do nails full-time again, I'm not willing to take on the pressure again. But if I ever win the lottery I'm starting on my own:green::green:

Those who have other jobs...would you like to be able to do nails full time...? is it just the money thing...?

With my beauty i do work full time as i can take bookings between 9am-8pm but when i havent got a booking i will do my other job.

So really i do work full time with beauty :green:

I would love to do nails fulltime YES DEFINATELY but alas I live in a small country town and there are a few of us already. Alot of the other techs only work on a on-call basis within the salon, and therefore I think I am the smarter one having my half dozen regulars. I find that my phone rings very hot when theres a wedding or formal. I balance my regulars as often as needed (usually fortnightly), this keeps me busy 3 evenings a week, then its more overtime when these weddings and formals. The money is a big factor I suppose, I wish it wasnt. But I am sure we are all feeling the pinch a bit now too.

i work as a sales assistant but do nails when im not working i love it! but pain when they live far away as i do not drive yet! but want to start my own bisness when i pass =]

hi,
Thanks for replying, I was just wondering what is a covering supervisor?
I work for a school but have never heard of this position. Where are you located?
Lisa

Latest posts

Back