Nails really hurting, what can I do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flapjack

Reaction score
Hi,
I had infills yesterday from a mobile therapist. I am a beauty therapist but dont do fake gel nail extensions. Three of my nails are so painful picking things up or doing anything with my hands is really hurting. She filed off the old colour yesterday and as she was doing so my own nail was getting thiner and thiner until it was red and then starting hurting and I said to her that it was painful and she finally stopped but by then it was a bit late.
She had already buffed off the colour so no idea what she was doing.
Will the pain go in a few days? as I have new colour on and not sure if my nails can heel with the fake nail tips on and colour? should I take it off.

when I get my nails done next time with someone else I want to go somewhere where you can have fake gel nails with a soak off colour gel is that possible? as buffing now scares me.

Thanks

Thanks
T

Sounds like she filed ur nails far to much!! I'd take them off, just in case they break as ur nails are now very weak and the enhancement may not stay on for long!
You can try shellac or other products like that, you can soak them off with no harm done, hope ur feeling better soon xxx

She has filed your nails too much. Hopefully this doesn't turn you off from gel enhancements. If you ever want them again but want to avoid that from happening, you should get the enhancement in a natural color and have color placed on top. That way, when it's time for backfill, the tech will only need to file the color off, rebalance and backfill, and you're ready for new color. But for now I think your nails need a rest. You may need to shorten them if they're long to reduce some of the stress being put on them.

Sounds like she filed ur nails far to much!! I'd take them off, just in case they break as ur nails are now very weak and the enhancement may not stay on for long!
You can try shellac or other products like that, you can soak them off with no harm done, hope ur feeling better soon xxx

I would absolutely not take them off or even attempt to or let anyone else. What the cowboy did was both outrageous and un-necessary. It makes me wild when I hear stories like yours.

Just give your nails a rest and let them grow out for as long as you can, keeping them short so there is no pressure on them. Telling you to remove them is not good advice.

Neither is it good advice to wear Shellac just now as Shellac is for healthy nails and not nails as weak as your now are. Maybe treat yourself to Shellac when they have grown out somewhat ... A couple of months at least.

Thank you geek, I was advising her to have shellac afterwards, when her nails are better but I didn't explain it very well!!! Surly if her nails are sore and she's in pain from her nails being so thin and damage it will put more pressure on the natural nails?

As Geeg says, I would leave them on for protection but shortening them will prevent them becoming vulnerable, the last thing you want now is to ding one off and drag a bit more nailplate with it.

Was she buffing off with an electric file? If so then maybe going to someone using hand files would make you feel less scared and it's easier for them to control the buffing (unless you're in very good experienced hands). I still maintain in the right hands you would be absolutely fine .. . in fact I'd advise infilling until your own nails have grown out and are stronger and don't go to HER again. Can I add it's no reflection on mobile therapists in general, you could have had the same experience in a salon.

Pity you're in Essex, I'd have looked after your nails for you x

That's what I ment, didn't want her to loose a nail!! I haven't explained myself very well!! Thanx for explaining x

completely agree with Geeg, if it was me having to deal with this i would file the tip down to a shorter length to prevent the chance of any further damage by catching/snapping them(if you know what i mean) back in my training days one of the girls filed into a few of my nails to much & it hurt so much but i knew the enhancement had to stay on, lots of cuticle oil helped massively with relieving the pain...i was applying it hourly, it was addictive lol. anyway pain went away after a week & only hurt after that when pressure was applied to the nail. hope it gets better soon & like others have said don't be put off by one person...theres plenty of great techs out there :D x

Do you know if this was me then I would contact the nail technician and tell here straight. ie: My nails are seriously in pain and that she must know as well as you do that she has over filed them & unless she provides you with a full refund you will take this further (you can all but try).

I know policy is to never under any circumstances to give a refund but she MUST know she blew this set ! Dont take any nonsense. Unless this technician knows she is a butcher she will keep doing this to other peoploe :(

was it a hard gel then that the tech put on ?? you say she was filing off colour was that a gelpolish or a gel ??

i also agreee with advice to leave them on shorten them and use plenty of oil.. until the pain has subsided..

Sarah

X

I would absolutely not take them off or even attempt to or let anyone else. What the cowboy did was both outrageous and un-necessary. It makes me wild when I hear stories like yours.

Just give your nails a rest and let them grow out for as long as you can, keeping them short so there is no pressure on them. Telling you to remove them is not good advice.

Neither is it good advice to wear Shellac just now as Shellac is for healthy nails and not nails as weak as your now are. Maybe treat yourself to Shellac when they have grown out somewhat ... A couple of months at least.

Hi Thanks for your advice, ill leave them on. They are quite short anyway which is good. How long can I leave it before I can have these taken off then and new gel tips put on would you say a few months?
Thanks

As Geeg says, I would leave them on for protection but shortening them will prevent them becoming vulnerable, the last thing you want now is to ding one off and drag a bit more nailplate with it.

Was she buffing off with an electric file? If so then maybe going to someone using hand files would make you feel less scared and it's easier for them to control the buffing (unless you're in very good experienced hands). I still maintain in the right hands you would be absolutely fine .. . in fact I'd advise infilling until your own nails have grown out and are stronger and don't go to HER again. Can I add it's no reflection on mobile therapists in general, you could have had the same experience in a salon.

Pity you're in Essex, I'd have looked after your nails for you x

Hi,
No she didnt use an electric file she used a normal file. I text her yesterday as because im a beauty therapist myself thought it best I give her feedback of how badly she did my nails to warn her so she can learn from that and not do it to her other clients. I told her my nails were hurting and that the nail bed was so red and thin. She text back saying she hadnt noticed and it was only when I flinched that she stopped but didnt think it was because she was hurting me. I should have moaned about it but to be hair just wanted to get her to finish quickly so I could leave. I cant believe she didnt notice how red she made my nails she must be blind. She also only put one coat of colour on which I told her wasnt enough as the purple I have on now is so patchy. She also took 2 and half hours to do the infills which I think is a long time.
Anyway wont go back to her again, just need to find a good therapist. T x

was it a hard gel then that the tech put on ?? you say she was filing off colour was that a gelpolish or a gel ??

i also agreee with advice to leave them on shorten them and use plenty of oil.. until the pain has subsided..

Sarah

X

She used LCN nail tips and LCN colour gel in pots. So having had LCN training I thought she would be very good but guess that doesnt mean anything. I had a bright pink last time and she was buffing off colour to put new colour (purple) on. But over filed so much that my nail bed was thin and red. If I hadnt stopped her then im sure in the next few seconds of filling there would have been blood. But thanks I will try lots of oil. The colour she has done is so patchy as she only did one coat. I have parties at beginning of June so ideally want them off but as its safer keeping them on till they grow out I will do. Hopefully ill be able to have new fake gel nail tips soon. T

How long can I leave it before I can have these taken off then and new gel tips put on would you say a few months?
Thanks

Ideally, backfills are recommended every 2-3 weeks, depending on nail growth. I'm guessing your enhancements were done with coloured gel and you would probably want a colour change. But since the natural nails are weakened and thin, they won't have the strength to support a new set, and if you take them off, the thin bits aren't protected. If you're the type who changes colour often, maybe you can get Gelish instead? When you have new growth, you can thin out the bulk and shorten the length of your existing gel, and fill in with structure gel followed by Gelish application. It would be easier to change colours this way. The only thing is, if your current set is a dark colour, you're limited to colours that can cover that colour. I really do suggest once your nails are back to good health that you get gel enhancements in natural tones with the colour placed on top as oppose to all coloured one because its less damaging when you want to change colour. xx

She used LCN nail tips and LCN colour gel in pots. So having had LCN training I thought she would be very good but guess that doesnt mean anything. I had a bright pink last time and she was buffing off colour to put new colour (purple) on. But over filed so much that my nail bed was thin and red. If I hadnt stopped her then im sure in the next few seconds of filling there would have been blood. But thanks I will try lots of oil. The colour she has done is so patchy as she only did one coat. I have parties at beginning of June so ideally want them off but as its safer keeping them on till they grow out I will do. Hopefully ill be able to have new fake gel nail tips soon. T

It is pure laziness and completely irresponsible on the part of the nail technician to remove gel colour with a file !! She was doing it because she couldnt be bothered to remove the colour responsibly and gently, because that would take a little more time. Bad bad bad.

It is a no brainer that filing is going to cause damage when someone is trying to do a job quickly with a file when they shouldn't. ... When SPEED becomes more important than taking care!

My advice is for you yourself to thin only the gel gently with a file, say once a week so that it gets thinner and thinner over the next few weeks. I don't know how fast your nails grow, but if the plates are as thin as you say, then it won't be until the thin parts grow off the end of the nail bed that you will get healthy nail again. Oil will not mend thin nails ... It might sooth the pain a bit, but it won't repair the damage. The damage will have to grow out. You will be able to judge as you will see the healthy nail as opposed to the damaged part of the nail, quite clearly. Good luck.

PS you are right about education. As trainers we absolutely give 100 percent to instill our students with a professional attitude and all the correct proceedures, but if they are Messers or slackers .... They are going to slide back into their old slack ways. They know what they are doing isn't right .. They just choose to do it anyway.

It is pure laziness and completely irresponsible on the part of the nail technician to remove gel colour with a file !! She was doing it because she couldnt be bothered to remove the colour responsibly and gently, because that would take a little more time. Bad bad bad.

Without a doubt what she did was bad and please nobody interpret this as me sticking up for her, I'm not.

However I just did a bit of research on LCN colour gels and it says they are non-porous and can be buffed off (without the use of aggressive chemicals) - and "nails remain in perfect condition" - (lol don't know how they can claim that, as clearly this is not the case!) So they are not soak-off gels.

This was taken from Beauty Concepts site who distribute them, this is presuming that they know what they are talking about :Scared:

Without a doubt what she did was bad and please nobody interpret this as me sticking up for her, I'm not.

However I just did a bit of research on LCN colour gels and it says they are non-porous and can be buffed off (without the use of aggressive chemicals) - and "nails remain in perfect condition" - (lol don't know how they can claim that, as clearly this is not the case!) So they are not soak-off gels.

This was taken from Beauty Concepts site who distribute them, this is presuming that they know what they are talking about :Scared:

Thanks for clarifying that ... I thought the op was talking about a soak off gel.

Fact is you cannot even buff off a buff off gel completely without causing damage ... We all know how to do it. Buff only so far as to leave a thin layer of gel on the nail and then soak off the rest or let it grow off.

lCN have always had aggressive techniques, one of which was to buff the natural nail with a 100 grit file as part of prep ... Ouch. I used to teach for LCN so that was their proceedure then ... Don't know what it is now.

As for aggressive chemicals ... Please ... A chemical removal is no where near as aggressive as a file removal. What nonsense. I hate marketing which is just plain lies ... Just one more reason to understand your product chemistry so you will know when you are reading nonsense.

Have been looking at this thread, what are the signs that you are filing too much. I would hate to think that I could inflict this pain on a client x

Hi,
I had infills yesterday from a mobile therapist. I am a beauty therapist but dont do fake gel nail extensions. Three of my nails are so painful picking things up or doing anything with my hands is really hurting. She filed off the old colour yesterday and as she was doing so my own nail was getting thiner and thiner until it was red and then starting hurting and I said to her that it was painful and she finally stopped but by then it was a bit late.
She had already buffed off the colour so no idea what she was doing.
Will the pain go in a few days? as I have new colour on and not sure if my nails can heel with the fake nail tips on and colour? should I take it off.

when I get my nails done next time with someone else I want to go somewhere where you can have fake gel nails with a soak off colour gel is that possible? as buffing now scares me.

To be honest this post doesn't really give us the proper information to be able to help...although it is obviously a case of overfiling.
I too am confused as to what treatment was being carried out.
It says infill on gel extentions, so I would thint the product needs thinned down and new products applied to cover nail growth and replace apex.

Then it says colour was filed off down to the nail :confused: and finishes by saying there are nail tips and new colour on the nails?

Was this a soak off gel like Calgel that was applied over tips in the first place? Or was it Gel enhancements with a soak off gel polish on top ? and was it the same tech who applied the original set of nails that carried out this infill/whatever treatment ?

If pople want advice then they really need to start giving us enough information. :rolleyes:...and could we stop using the word fake please ;)

Hi,
No she didnt use an electric file she used a normal file. I text her yesterday as because im a beauty therapist myself thoughts it best I give her feedback of how badly she did my nails to warn her so she can learn from that and not do it to her other clients. I told her my nails were hurting and that the nail bed was so red and thin. She text back saying she hadnt noticed and it was only when I flinched that she stopped but didnt think it was because she was hurting me. I should have moaned about it but to be hair just wanted to get her to finish quickly so I could leave. I cant believe she didnt notice how red she made my nails she must be blind. She also only put one coat of colour on which I told her wasnt enough as the purple I have on now is so patchy. She also took 2 and half hours to do the infills which I think is a long time.
Anyway wont go back to her again, just need to find a good therapist. T x

I'm so shocked reading this, that someone can file without noticing this sort of damage! Especially with gel, its so quick to buff off, there's no need to keep going.
LCN is a great gel, it's a shame this lady abused her responsibilty as a nail technician.
Where in Essex do you live, I'm in Basildon, il be more than happy to help you out. :)

Latest posts

Back