Need a new laptop-I'm after some advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
I'm a nail technician, not a computer tech and i need a new laptop for my new house in Yorkshire.

Here in Spain, I have a Sony Vaio (old) and a PC but I think a good laptop is sufficient to do what I need to do in the UK. Mainly geeking and face booking and games and emailing ... Pretty average stuff. I do like a decent sized screen and keyboard.

When I look at Apple (because I am surrounded by a family of computer geeks and they all say Apple) but they are more than twice as much as anything else plus I'm used to windows and not sure I want to have the hassle of doing everything differently.

So .............. Apart from Sony! What makes are good and what to you rate and why? I would like something that lasts more than a couple of years. :Love:

Last edited:
Hi! I have an advent monza laptop and cant go wrong with it, its cheaper than most other brands of laptop, uses windows and I have never had any problems with it.. and its pink!! :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm no computer tech either Geeg, but I have a Samsung laptop, which has quite a large screen ( I think 15 inches) and never had any problems with it. I've had it for more than 2 years. In the past, I found hp laptops always used to break down on me, but that's just imo ;) . But recently I havnt really used the laptop because its all about my ipad! I prefer it yo the laptop and use it all the time for on here, other apps etc, and emailing. I pay my bills etc on there. It pretty much does everything you would need it for. It's definitely my best gadget purchase so far. Hth. Xxx

I'm no computer tech either Geeg, but I have a Samsung laptop, which has quite a large screen ( I think 15 inches) and never had any problems with it. I've had it for more than 2 years. In the past, I found hp laptops always used to break down on me, but that's just imo ;) . But recently I havnt really used the laptop because its all about my ipad! I prefer it yo the laptop and use it all the time for on here, other apps etc, and emailing. I pay my bills etc on there. It pretty much does everything you would need it for. It's definitely my best gadget purchase so far. Hth. Xxx

I love my iPad (so much so that my husband is seriously jealous of it and the time I spend on it lol) but I need a laptop for work and to store my documents and folders etc which is really why I'm after a new one. I will be taking my beloved iPad back and forth with me from Spain to the UK don't worry!x

Last edited:
Ive always stuck with Dell, I found it easier
as you can choose a laptop online then add things you want so there to your spec (screen size, ram etc). My first Dell laptop lasted about 5 years and Ive had my studio one for about 4 years now.. If you have the money, alienware laptops are really nice but mainly for gaming and quite expensive.

My dad had a dell laptop within a year of having it the battery decided to only work being plugged in 24/7 he brought new lead and battery but nothing, my
Sister then got a dell one to go to uni (different one to my dads) same happened with hers after few months the battery only worked plugged in so it had to be plugged in 24/7! She brought a new battery for £70!!! Then it's fine again now but i wouldn't recommend a dell one. I have a HP one and had it for under a year but love it! :) xx

You can't go far wrong with an HP but my personal preference is a Samsung, (having had to use Dell at work I would never, ever buy one for home use, I find them truly awful). I speak as a former Information Systems Manager until last year.
In terms of tablets, depending in what you want to do with it, Apple products win hands down for reliability. Hope that helps.

We use Dell at work and they're ok. I've had a couple of different ones and I think the most 'hardy' was the Toshiba. It's only recently gone to laptop heaven after almost 8 years of use. :Love: No scratches, no problems. I had it updated by someone who is a lot more techy than me after about 4 years. He just updated the Windows version and some of the programmes and it was perfect again. I was genuinely gutted to have to get rid of it. The new one isn't a Toshiba and is only 2 years old and has to be plugged in to use as the battery dies so quick. And it's so slow :sad:. If I replace it (that's the plan) I'd be going back to Toshiba.

I'm not computer tech geek either, so I've always stuck to what works for me - Sony Vaio. They're a reasonable price, good quality, tough, and you can get a reasonable size machine. They last well and when I get a new one, I relegate the old to a travel machine, which works well for me.

Definitely would advise against dell. Sony Vaio or Apple would be my choices.

Gigi, I'd highly recommend an Apple MacBook Pro.

I was PC for years and after so many "blue screens of death", timing out etc I couldn't take it any longer!

I bought an iMac and had it set up at my desk for a month before I used it as I was scared of it...I was still using my PC, then one day I decided to actually use my iMac! BEST DECISION EVER!!!

I then went on to sell my MacBook as I needed space (desk took up too much room) and I bought a MacBook instead! I love it so much...so powerful and SO SOOOOOO easy to use, I really couldn't recommend it more.

And if you've got an iPad/iPhone they all synch and work together! Incredible!

You know what they say "Once you go Mac, you won't go back" ;) Xx

I have an acer. Picked it up dirt cheap, its a 15inch screen and really easy to use. Ive had it about 4 yeats now and its good as new (minus the nail glue spatters that will NOT come off :sad: ) hth xx

Sent from my LG-E610 using SalonGeek mobile app

Gigi, I'd highly recommend an Apple MacBook Pro.

I was PC for years and after so many "blue screens of death", timing out etc I couldn't take it any longer!

I bought an iMac and had it set up at my desk for a month before I used it as I was scared of it...I was still using my PC, then one day I decided to actually use my iMac! BEST DECISION EVER!!!

I then went on to sell my MacBook as I needed space (desk took up too much room) and I bought a MacBook instead! I love it so much...so powerful and SO SOOOOOO easy to use, I really couldn't recommend it more.

And if you've got an iPad/iPhone they all synch and work together! Incredible!

You know what they say "Once you go Mac, you won't go back" ;) Xx

I do love Apple and I have used Samantha's MacBook but my husband is going to have to share with me from time to time and I don't think he could cope with a new routine, he only just gets along with Windows (he really hates the computer can you believe it??) .. I'll have to think hard about Apple. I really don't want to spend over 1000.00 for a laptop if I don't have to.!!! The home in the UK is a 2nd home for us ATM and don't want to leave it idle for weeks at a time if its cost that much. Hmm. Pondering. Thank you all for taking the time to give me your suggestions so far. xx

I've had 2 dells (one at work one at home) and my parents both have dells and they're excellent. My work one's battery has died after 3 years, but it does get pretty hammered and I didn't realise you're not meant to leave the charger in 24/7. I got a replacement battery off amazon and it's working fine now.

My home laptop's really old now and it still works but it's probably time for a new one.

An IMac is going to be over-kill for you to be honest. You need a cheap and cheerful branded laptop

Cheap Laptops, Laptop Deals, Gaming Laptops | Ebuyer.com

Have a mooch on there. You don't need to be spending anything over £400 for what you need it to do.

p.s I buy my design PCs from that place (now the Apple snobs would LOVE the fact that a designer is using Windows- but there we go)- and my work is massively hardware intensive- and I've had no problems.

Last edited:
An IMac is going to be over-kill for you to be honest. You need a cheap and cheerful branded laptop

Cheap Laptops, Laptop Deals, Gaming Laptops | Ebuyer.com

Have a mooch on there. You don't need to be spending anything over £400 for what you need it to do.

p.s I buy my design PCs from that place (now the Apple snobs would LOVE the fact that a designer is using Windows- but there we go)- and my work is massively hardware intensive- and I've had no problems.

Really helpful thank you. x There are some very nice ones on there!

I have Apple MacBook Air and Amy uses a Samsung. Her one is great as the keyboard lights up in the dark so you can Geek in secret:hug: xx

I have Apple MacBook Air and Amy uses a Samsung. Her one is great as the keyboard lights up in the dark so you can Geek in secret:hug: xx

Love that idea Kimmi! :hug: I'm leaning towards the Samsung. I wonder if all models light up in the dark?

Another vote for the samsung!
I have a Samsung rv515 the screen is huuuuge & the keys light up too! :) x x

Another vote for the samsung!
I have a Samsung rv515 the screen is huuuuge & the keys light up too! :) x x
That ref number helps enormously thank you!

Latest posts

Back