Need a website, havent a clue where to start

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajshard

Reaction score
I have a domain name, now I need a website, but have no idea where to start. Can I build my own site with no knowledge lol or should I just bite the bullet and pay for someone else to do it for me.

Thanks x

Hi
I've recently had a website built for me and I am really pleased with it. It has also brought in a lot of clients for me.

Personally I would think that it is best to pay for a website to be built.

Speak to Ruth Mills on here who can build your site for you at an affordable price. She is fantastic...

xx

Yep, I agree!!! Ruth designed my website alongside Carl from Verve and it is fab, like Andrea said it really pays to have a website as it does bring in a lot of clients-yaaaayyy!!!!:biggrin: xx

Yep, I agree!!! Ruth designed my website alongside Carl from Verve and it is fab, like Andrea said it really pays to have a website as it does bring in a lot of clients-yaaaayyy!!!!:biggrin: xx

I agree too!

I have just had my website completed by Ruth Mills - again alongside Carl at Verve and I have to say that they have both been brilliante.

Have a look at both their sites as they have examples of actual websites and designs that they have done so it give you a really good idea of what they can do

Carl is Verve and Ruth is Salon Alchemy - both are extremely good value too.

I was very impressed and they helped me no end, were very patient with my indecisions and gave some great advice. Def recommend both of them.

No harm in looking.

Hi, i'm thinking of getting a website too but i'm not sure I could afford it until later in the year, what sort of prices do they vary to and from i've absolutely no idea, and dont know if its worth me enquiring yet, are we talking hundreds??? What about these free build your own websites does anyone recommend these?......what did it cost for all yours?????????
Thanks!

My website was made using the Mr Site system. I have the pro versions of the sites but I believe you can get a very basic few page website that you create yourself (with the help of a very easy template system) for about 30 quid a year.

This would include basics like them hosting the site for you and a few pages to play with. You fill in your own info and can add your own piccies as well.

If you needed one with more features like loads of pages and a shopping cart they run to about 80 quid for the year I think.

If you're not into doing one yourself or dont feel real confident on the computer, although I don't have a site with them I can certainly say that Salon Alchemy (RuthMills) has a great customer service, although the web design price may be a little over your budget just now. I believe she is coming up with a new cheaper template version in the near future so maybe PM and ask!

I bought my domains from www.domainmonster.com. They also got a site design thing which is easy to use.

You've got to pick from a template but its easy to do yourself.

How much does Ruth charge to design a website?

Hiya

If you look on her website salonalchemy - then it gives you a good idea what it will cost - very reasonable for what you get
x

Hi everyone,

Heres my Ten Cents worth;

By making a website yourself with no real experiance you will save yourself money, but you'll end up losing time during the learning process, and could miss some fundimental points.

Salon Alchemy (RuthMills) seems to have a good reputation on this forum, but from a critical webdesigners point of view her work looks dated.

As I'm a recent post-graduate from university and a sucessful freelancer I feel I have a better 'up to date' knowledge of current web standards and practices, illustrated through my portfolio.

Sun Bay Hotel (2000 visitors per month)
DevonPaintballClub

I also offer:
SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
Hosting - £2 a month
Domain - £8 per year for any domain

I'll better anything Salon Alchemy offers

Hi everyone,

By making a website yourself with no real experiance you will save yourself money, but you'll end up losing time during the learning process, and could miss some fundimental points.

Salon Alchemy (RuthMills) seems to have a good reputation on this forum, but from a critical webdesigners point of view her work looks dated.

As I'm a recent post-graduate from university and a sucessful freelancer I feel I have a better 'up to date' knowledge of current web standards and practices, illustrated through my portfolio.

DevonPaintballClub

I also offer:
Hosting - £2 a month

What are your Java (or PHP/.NET/etc) development skills like?

Could you configure your own Linux server from scratch, including firewall configuration, Apache configuration (including things like URL rewriting, filters, proxying, etc), SSL secure server/certificate configuration, databases, Java application server installation and configuration, mail server, DNS server, etc?

Do you offer a content management system as standard, where people are able to update their own websites via a secure login? And could you write one from scratch yourself using Java and XML-based technologies or similar?

Are you prepared to work "silly hours" 7 days a week and throw hundreds of pounds into advertising to try and make your business a success?

Another vote for Ruth here.

I like that I have a bespoke website, the way I want it to look and that I can update a lot of the info myself and also add pics when I want. Also LOVE the great personal, speedy customer service and great positive, friendly attitude.

What are your Java (or PHP/.NET/etc) development skills like?

Could you configure your own Linux server from scratch, including firewall configuration, Apache configuration (including things like URL rewriting, filters, proxying, etc), SSL secure server/certificate configuration, databases, Java application server installation and configuration, mail server, DNS server, etc?

Do you offer a content management system as standard, where people are able to update their own websites via a secure login? And could you write one from scratch yourself using Java and XML-based technologies or similar?

Are you prepared to work "silly hours" 7 days a week and throw hundreds of pounds into advertising to try and make your business a success?

Calm down Ruth.

Everything on that list is either simple to do, or completely unnecessary.

Its like you finished a degree 10 years ago but can't let go, embrace change!

As for my hours I also run my own pub so I basically work a 13 hour day 7 days a week, word of mouth and a good reputation has worked well for me so far, so I don't advertise.

We've both said our bit Ruth, lets leave it there.

"Its like you finished a degree 10 years ago but can't let go, embrace change!"

How incredibly arrogant and rude is that?

If you're going to come on here and slag off people's work you better have a decent portfolio and body of work to show off.

Don't want to start an argument- and you're entitled to an opinion- but that seemed slightly unnecessary.

Epecially as many of the sites that you think are "dated" have been designed with the person Ruth was working for...you saying they have bad taste?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

DevonPaintballClub

I also offer:
Hosting - £2 a month

Fair enough you've got a right to offer a similar service but you're a bit out of order having a go at someone elses service on here. Not cool mate.

Calm down Ruth.

As for my hours I also run my own pub so I basically work a 13 hour day 7 days a week, word of mouth and a good reputation has worked well for me so far, so I don't advertise.

Dude - your incredibly arrogant...

Calm down Ruth.

Just a couple of factual points:

(1) In the "Commandments of a Geek", http://www.salongeek.com/how-do-stuff-site/31101-commandments-geek.html - Geek Commandment #6 states:

"Advertising is allowed on the site via banners and auto-linking but not through posting. Threads, posts, pms, blogs or Social Group Posts designed to bait and hook or advertise a service or product for your financial gain is a sure fire way to get your post deleted and possibly get banned. I no longer allow threads, posts, blogs, or social group posts to be made offering 'special deals' or 'special deals for geeks only'.

If another member is asking about your product or service, or if your products or services are relevant to the topic at hand you may respond without wording that would consider the post to be an advertisement. Once again, I would encourage you to ask a moderator if in doubt about this rule to avoid deletion of posts, an angry mob of geeks and a potential ban."

So, to say

"I also offer:
Hosting - £2 a month

I'll better anything Salon Alchemy offers"

would not be OK because it breaks Geek Commandment #6.

(2) The statistics on your user page state that you became a member of Salon Geek on 19-04-10 (3 days ago), and that you have made only two posts on Salon Geek so far (as of 7:41 am on 22nd April 2010), both of which are on this thread.

Latest posts

Back