Nervous!! What do you think of these nails?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyalLass

Reaction score
Hiya guys,

Right I'm a bit nervous about this!! :eek:

I've recently qualified and have been practising like crazy...I've lost count of how many I've done, but I'll estimate at about 20 or 30 sets. But I find that the more I do, the more critical and picky I am and I'm finding it difficult to gauge whether I could realistically charge for my nails yet...

The only slight problem is....I have obtained a client who would like a set doing in a few weeks time...she isn't a friend or relative..so I have to do a good job.

I'm qualified in acrylics...natural and french tips, not done sculpting yet...no particular system (currently using Supernail), trained at a private college. The vast majority of people in my area have french tips so have used those for my pic - I did these on myself tonight.

What do you all think? (I really am nervous that you are all going to say that they are rubbish and need much more practice for taking on clients!!).

Thanks in advance!

aww...no need to be nervous :hug: Firstly...I'm newly qualified so I cannot really comment due to lack of experience but I think they look great!! Don't worry about your client, you'll do a lovely job I'm sure :)

They look brilliant! I would be proud if I did a set like that! I'm creative trained, and I'm finding it really difficult. I hate taking money off clients if I've done a rubbish job......but you can't go on forever not charging as you will never make a living from it!!!! xxxxx

The only thing I would point out to you is that the tips are too far down the nail bed hths

Awww, thanks for the comments everyone....i've been getting so frustrated and wondering if I could ever charge for a set!!!

lellipop..thanks for that, I'll make sure I try to get the next lot in the right place!!!

I agree with Lellipop the white tips look out of balance..too in ya face..part from that good job.:)

White tips are the easiet to use when you first start out, when you get better you ll learn there the worst thing out to use.

hi debbie, thanks for that.

I was actually only trained doing natural tips and blending , but as a result I find white tips harder(!) but quicker...though that may be a confidence thing as we weren't actually shown how to put white tips on in the classroom.

So, I've really got to sort the problem of putting them too far down the nail bed...if I can sort that I maybe ready for the 'real thing'?!

I agree with previous comments but to make this particular set of nails more in balance, just shorten them - I would say take down the white by about half and that would improve them greatly. Nice shape and finish though.

Cheers,
Hazel

I would try to do a set with white l&p as when u come to re-balance you will find it difficult to replace the white...

Try to use white l&p instead of white tips .... the application of the ones you have done looks ok (cant get a good close up) but as the others have said, the whites are too far down.

Well done for posting, this is the first time i have given a veiw so im quite nervous too lol

Yes you are ready to have paying clients:lol: Nice shape, clear of the side walls, go for it :hug:
The problem with most white tips is that the well is far to deep so when you snug them up to the free edge, they look to far down, just cut or file this away, I file, this will give you a smaller contact area and allow you to deepen the smile line if you want to. And when you get your next set of white tips, have a look at the creative ones, CND from Sweet squared, they are well less, so you can place them where you like and supper thin with no need to blend at all.
But just remember, you client may like them like this, lots of Northampton girls do:lol:
Good luck hun.

Thank you so much for all your comments.

Hazel - as I did these on myself, I have shortened them and they do look better. I will defo remember for when I do them on other people!

champagne - thanks for that - I've been trying to master the basic tip and acrylic application first, then thought I would have a go at the white l&p...I was getting a bit overwhelmed trying to remember all the steps and perfect the application - but will defo have a go at this..I see what you mean about the rebalance. (and well done for the critique!).

Thanks for the creative suggestion SusieH...I have to say the tips I have are the millenium ones and I dont' really like them at all...I was going to have ago with the Pro Impressions deep smile ones but will also look at the Creative ones. And thank you for assuring me that I'm ready for paying clients - I think if it had been left up to me, I would still be charging £5 for practise sets in another 6 months time!!

I was using the CND well-less tips but now do use the pro-impressions ones and they work fine and work as well as the CND performance tips.

If you look closely at the white tip area you can see the contact area on your nails look a little shadowy which makes them look more false than other P&W nails.

The well-less tips dont show this same shadow so look better in my opinion.

i agree about the well less tips,you should try them.
i also agree about the white being to far down the nail meaning the pink to white ratio is wrong which makes the nails unbalanced.hazel was right in what she said for yoy to correct you set by filing down the length as this will reduce the white.
i am just wondering what you would do when a client comes back for a rebalance as you have not trained in pink and white l&p.how would you correct the growth area where the new smile line will be?
im just asking because if you are unable to do this then using white tips woudlnt be a good idea as you would have to soak off and apply a new set each time.
would using natural tips then painting on a smile line be a better way for you to get the french manicure look?
i appologise if i am wrong in what you trained in and ive got this all wrong.x

Thanks royal lass.....

On the white L&P subject, i ask my clients if they are just for a special occasion or wether they are likely to be wanting them long term.

Long term - always use white L&P to enable easier re-balance
Short term one off - would tend to use white tips for speed...

But some of my clients have loved nails so much they want to keep them on, then i have to re balance and white l&p the white tips lol

Get the white l&p out and practice 100 smile lines on some cheapo tips!

Hi,
Prob already been said as I am almost asleep at the key board and didnt read to far along..

White tips are great to use.... BUT... they look odd when placed that far down.. you might find you do get the odd client ( like my co worker) who loves them down that far.. most will like them after a few weeks when they are alittle closer to the free edge., it is hard to get a good balance if the client has very short nail beds etc.. Just make them a little shortner and that should do the trick.. sorry i hope that makes sense..]
Most of all.... YOU ARE ready to starting working as a tech... go for it... remember speed is NOT important.. the client would rather a great set of nails in 2 hours than a crapola set in 45mins...
x mel x

Thanks for your comments everyone.

It looks like my first client will be a removal of another tech's nails, plus new set so might be a long session! At the moment, it takes me around 2 hours to do a set for which I make no apologies!! As you say Mel, its much more important to get the set brilliant!! I'm sure my time will come down with practice, but at the moment, I'm happy with 2 hours!!

Thanks again everyone, I've taken on board your comments!

Hi. i think these nails look fine, most clients would be happy enough with them. Its important not to point out doubts about your work in front of the client. It is important to appear confident in respect of your work, even though inside you may be unsure.

Could i ask what colour powder you used. Was it Clear or a pink over the whole area.

Hi marion, thanks for your comments.

At the moment, I am using Supernail pink powder as it is a full size pot that came in our kit. Why do you ask?

I'm just wondering, as someone else on here mentioned that pink can sometimes look a bit 'grainy' over white tips?? I am planning to get some clear to try.

Latest posts

Back