New nail extension system?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyjade

Reaction score
Hey everyone, a lady came in to me today to ask if I do the 'new nail system than makes nails grow'? I said I do all three systems and she said no, this is brand new. Long story short, I asked what it was and she said its a nail varnish that you put on and it makes your nails grow because it has keratin in it?

Am I missing something here? Does this exist or is it just bs that she has been fed by someone else?

It sounds like it may be Gelish. It is UV Gel Polish and the foundation coat bonds with the natural keratin in your natural nail. Nails do seem to grow much faster when wearing it. I have had it on my nails now for 2 weeks and the regrowth is more than when I wear acrylics or hard gel of another make. I love it. Cant wait to get more colours.

It sounds like she was describing Shellac but not sure where she got the keratin bit from!!

Maybe someone else will have an idea but apart from a treatment that someone may know of I havent heard of any polish with keratin in

Go on someone prove me wrong now :wink2: lol

One of my clients started asking about some cr*p she had seen in one of the Sunday supplements that she was going to order, could be that?

Otherwise most likely to be Shellac.

I know a certain soak off gel pre power polish used to advertise in alot of glossy lady's mags in the back with ads that wear a bit .... Misleading!

It might well be that!

You definitely need shellac on your treatment list though It is a total must have :)

While no product will speed up growth or what ever Shellac will go on and off with out thinning the nail by removing shine with the file with application or removal,
Removal is quick and done properly limits the drying effect of removal process on the nail.

Hey everyone, a lady came in to me today to ask if I do the 'new nail system than makes nails grow'? I said I do all three systems and she said no, this is brand new. Long story short, I asked what it was and she said its a nail varnish that you put on and it makes your nails grow because it has keratin in it?

Am I missing something here? Does this exist or is it just bs that she has been fed by someone else?

It may be the Orly Gel Fx as that is marketed with vitamin infused. Maybe?

Whatever it is, it is a load of old 'hooey'! Lol

The nail plate is non living, so that putting anything on it, will not make the matrix produce nail cells faster than it does normally. Vitamin infused :rolleyes: or gold plated, a nail product has no positive affect whatsoever on the growth rate of nails.

As for those that rave on about Shellac (or anything else) making their nails grow faster, that is a load of old 'hooey' as well. Shellac is a great protection for natural nails and adds strength, which in turn may make the nails appear to grow faster because they are protected, but it does not physically affect the nail growth.

As nails are 90% made of keratin, you could say that any old polish bonds to it ... Nothing unique in that really.

The only things that positively affect nail growth are a good diet and excercise.

Last edited:
I was always taught that the perceived faster growth of nails with enhancements, and I suppose now shellac etc. was due to the added protection it gave the natural nail.

I was then told by a lady who's work I respect very much that it can also be down to the buffing of the nail which increases blood flow to the area, (this was before shellac came along which I understand needs no buffing/etching of the natural nail so only really relevant to l&p, gels) have always wondered if this theory holds any weight?

I was always taught that the perceived faster growth of nails with enhancements, and I suppose now shellac etc. was due to the added protection it gave the natural nail.

I was then told by a lady who's work I respect very much that it can also be down to the buffing of the nail which increases blood flow to the area, (this was before shellac came along which I understand needs no buffing/etching of the natural nail so only really relevant to l&p, gels) have always wondered if this theory holds any weight?

Not much to be honest. It will have a small temporary affect.

Most women start to take better care of their nails after a nail service and this along with the protection that Shellac or a good enhancement offers is simply why they seem to grow faster.

I think it is also the illusion ,
As your able to see the new growth with shellac on as you have that re growth area to measure it by when regular polish would normally have been long gone by then.

Latest posts

Back