New staff + their existing mobile clientele?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly what i thought Donna,
I think they may think twice about doing mobile"on the side" if they did it legally, it probably wouldnt even be worth it!

tut, tut! hope the tax-man doesnt catch them!!

in fact, no i hope he does! : )

As long have you have registered you are doing nothing wrong by paying no tax.
I have kept all receipts for courses and equipment and once I've earnt what I've spent and X amount on top then start paying taxes.
So especially if people are mobile as you say "on the side" the likeliness if them having paying taxes is very low.

I might be wrong but it seems so many people have a problem with mobile therapists?
x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

I have kept all receipts for courses and equipment and once I've earnt what I've spent and X amount on top then start paying taxes.
So especially if people are mobile as you say "on the side" the likeliness if them having paying taxes is very low.

I might be wrong but it seems so many people have a problem with mobile therapists?
x

You got to register within 3 months of trading and also pay class 2 n.I ontop.of what you pay with your current job!!!

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

You got to register within 3 months of trading and also pay class 2 n.I ontop.of what you pay with your current job!!!

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

I've been told differently! I am only mobile, registered I am working and how many clients I am getting and been told what I said in previous post:)

If you are employed on PAYE and also run your own business, you pay tax less the threshold on your paye earnings, then full tax at the relevent tax band on your business earnings. You only have to pay further NI at 11% on business earnings.

EG if you are on paye earning 300 a week, you pay tax and ni on that. If you then earn a further 300 profit from your business you pay 20% tax and 11% ni when you do your tax return on 31st January. So 31% of your business PROFIT should be paid in tax. £93 I make that.

I'm self employed and I pay 20% tax but not 11% for ni , ni is a flat rate of £2 odd a week

I think when you are a low earning self-employed person you can apply for class 4 ni contributions which are about a few quid a week but when you do your self assessment you wiill be taxed on anything above your personal allowance and you will have to pay a percentage ni as well, i've no idea how this all works when you have two jobs but I'm guessing the way the tax office works it usually - you pay the tax then if at the end of the tax year you've paid too much you get it back??

It is very complicated, but hey that's what accountants are for :)

I've been told differently! I am only mobile, registered I am working and how many clients I am getting and been told what I said in previous post:)

What else have you been told?

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

x

If you have have to pay any tax on your first job, then you will definitely have to pay it on your second job. Only the first job gets the allowance not the second. Also, everything you pay out for is not always 100% tax deductible. Equipment and furniture is a percentage (not 100%, like most think) and petrol isn't too. If you get it wrong and you have to pay out, the tax office don't hold back.

My dad always had an accountant. The accountant had been filing his books wrong for about 3 years, my dad was unaware. When the tax office choose my dad for a random investigation, (self-employed, cash only, are always more likely to picked up than a ltd company), the tax office found my dad had underpaid by almost £20,000! By the time they worked the interest out, it was closer to £30,000. Even though it was an accountant who had made the mistake, it didn't matter. Ignorance is not a defence with the tax office. To cut a long story short, my dad couldn't pay the bill and they made him bankrupt. Now, if the tax office make you bankrupt, it is a real big thing. They seized all his bank cards, accounts and assets right there in the court.

The moral of the story? Always be straight down the line with the tax office. You cannot cheat the system!

I'm self employed and I pay 20% tax but not 11% for ni , ni is a flat rate of £2 odd a week

Unless you trade as the director of a ltd company, NI is payable on profit over and above the class 4 contribution that WHOLEY self employed people pay. This is very relevent for second jobs.

I'm still at a loss as to who has the energy to work in a salon AND mobile!!! Lol Then again, I could be lazy!!
I love being mobile and the only thing I miss about salon work are the girls I worked with!
As long as everyone registers and declares what they are earning, everyone's happy :-D

I have clients who physically can't get to the salon... Not even client is.able to get to a salon

Gr this has Really upset me this post!!! Owners.thinking they own staff!!!!!!!

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

I agree, I think if I work in a salon AND have my own clients at home it's no-one's business. A lot of business owners get delusions of grandeur and forget where they came from unless they were born with money and mamma and papa paid for everything. Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using SalonGeek

I wouldn't poach a client, I can (and do) separate the two 'jobs' and declare everything cos there is always someone nasty who'll grass if you don't.

I did read the whole thing and found it very interesting...

Not going to start quoting everyone but I can understand why you wouldn't allow it in a way but I don't think it's fair to stop someone.

Not all salon owners are stuck-up, snooty types and not all mobiles are untrustworthy but to be fair, we HAVE all met someone like this, at either end of the scale in this industry and anyone who hasn't is lying :biggrin:

I think it's one of those where everyone has to agree to disagree but one thing I will state is that you cannot read tone in text so what may seem as a rude comment is more than likely innocent.

Peace and love all x

I agree, I think if I work in a salon AND have my own clients at home it's no-one's business. A lot of business owners get delusions of grandeur and forget where they came from unless they were born with money and mamma and papa paid for everything. Lol

There are lots of salon owners on here. I don't know of anyone who contributed to this thread who was bought a salon by their parents. I have met 3 other salon owners who contribute an enormous amount to this site and I can confirm they do NOT have delusions of grandeur.

From your blog, it seems you are not experienced in this industry. Most salon owners are the most experienced people within the hair and beauty industry, and post replies from a position of knowledge.

Personally I worked solely in this industry from age 16. I spent 15 years working in other peoples salons before starting my own. No silver spoon, no rich parents behind me. I did it by hard graft and integrity.

Please don't make sweeping derogatory generalisations about people you know nothing about.

Many thanks.

Once again, the tone and text thing... Not being derogatory... I said a lot, not all... In my experience and with all the therapists I know and there are hundreds, they all have had a nightmare story.

I really don't like to see these threads where people appear to gang up against others who have a different opinion.

Why would anyone feel that by being forceful with an opinion or being harsh with a judgement its going to make the other person all of a sudden drop their view and adopt yours.

Most people work hard to make ends meet and most people do what they have to do to get by. In your own life you deal with things how you see fit. But regardless of what anyone else is doing or how they are doing it, its not affecting you personally so why continue to try and push the point after it has been made at least once and if not twice.

Everyone has a point of view and you don't have to share it or respect it even but you could stay respectful to the individual.

Jacqui xx

It seems that there are definitely 2 separate camps here!
I suppose unless you have been on both sides of the fence, it's hard to understand both sides.
I'm a salon owner and I wouldn't want any staff doing mobile either. Close family and friends is ok but not doing mobile on the side.
I have built my salon up from scratch, I am the one that takes all the risks, I am the one that pays all the bills, I am the one that advertises, sorts licences out, has sleepless nights, does all the ordering, goes to the wholesalers, sorts things out on my days off and can never fully switch off.
I know no-one is going to put more into my business than me.
I'm sure every salon owner will agree that the biggest nightmare with running a salon is staff!
I've had people steal from me and people who think that they can do what they like.
In any other place of employment you abide by the rules and you have a contract that you sign. If you don't like the contract or don't agree with it then don't work there!
Most employer's policies will have a clause about holding outside employment whatever industry it is. It's all very well saying 'you can't tell me what to do outside my working hours', but in actual fact, if your contract states a certain clause saying you can't do certain things, then you can't.
If you were a school teacher by day and a lapdancer by night, I think the school would definitely have something to say about it and you would most definitely lose your job. What you do outside your working hours can still affect your employment.
I know lots of hairdressers who want to own their own salon someday. Most of them won't though. It's bloody hard work and costs a lot of money. Unless you are actually in that situation then you can't fully understand it.
Most salon owners who appear tough are usually that way because they have had years of dealing with staff who think the world owes them a favour, steal from them, phone in sick when they have a hangover and poach clients.
I'm not saying all staff are bad the same as not all salon owners are old battleaxes!
We are protecting our investment, our hard work and our livelihood. At the same time we are giving opportunities to staff and paying for them to get further trained. We pay for the training to help our salons progress. Why should we pay for you to be trained in certain areas only for you to go and use that training to do your own clients?
Sometimes you just have to see things from the other side.
Gosh, I think I just went on a bit there-lol

Wow, this thread has certainly been dragged back up!!:rolleyes:
Well, i've worked in Salons and at other jobs and am now back at mobile - but looking at my bank balance ( or lack of it) and enjoying all these bank holidays ( no pay for me) I think i'd rather be working for someone at the moment! You know how much money you get every week, your employer sorts out the tax etc. and if its quiet you can sit, look at magazines and still get paid. Those of you lucky enough to have a job - please respect your employers because you never know whos around the corner after your job!! and watch out if you're 'moonlighting' there are plenty of people out there willing to grass you up to the tax office.;)

Latest posts

Back