New therapist looks moody and making no effort, what shall I say?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you as for references prior to taking her on?

I have always asked for references before taking people on and this has eliminated a lot issues further down the line.

Because once you've invested time and money in them only to find out their not 'right' for you can be very frustrating and you feel you have to make it work to get the money back you invested in them.

Her references may highlight any behavioural issues or any other problems in any of her previous job roles..

If you haven't already asked for references I would do this ASAP.

Last edited:
She text last night saying she isn't coming back.....

One less thing for you to worry about - better for her to let you down now than later on x

Are you going to follow it up to try and find out why?

It may be something major going on for her, or it may be something about the salon that you weren't aware of. If it's the latter, I know that I would really like to know, so that changes could be considered.

Well that tells you she wasn't happy in her job or there was something making her unhappy outside of work. I know you're probably relieved but if it were me I would ask her why.

I would need to know if it were my salon,my staff or myself that had been the deciding factor for her. If for nothing else, just so I knew if there was something I needed to change in future cases, ie be it myself,staff or general running of the salon.

I agree with Babsann - I would still have a chat to her. She may well have personal issues that have nothing to do with the workplace or there may have been something about the workplace. Just hoping that she hasn't come on here and read what you have been saying before giving her the opportunity to try and resolve the problem.
You mentioned in an earlier post that this had happened twice before where you didn't dare address problems. As has been said on previous posts, this is part of managing staff and owning a business, so the odds are that you will come across this problem again.

I'm going to add, you need to have a chat with this girl and give her the opportunity to rectify her mistakes. She may actually tell you a close friend or family died the week she started and its been playing on her mind for all we know.

In regards to her stating she doesn't cry, and people saying they feel sorry for her. In my 23 years of life I have had to deal with a lot, 16 deaths of close friends and family, 3 branches of the family breaking apart due to affairs, the death of a 4 hour old baby, cancer in the family, the thoughts now and again about my dad ad step brothers/ half brothers iv never met, being a carer for many members of family in their last months and hours, personal depression, depression of my mum etc...
Back to the point, I have learned to control my emotions, to deal with life you have to have control. I have cried once in front of someone since I was 6, and that was while I was having a breakdown caused by stress at work after being made redundant, starting a new job, being the prime suspect by the manager for thefts in the new workplace, keeping the family together after a death and caring for a grandparent who didn't have long left. That was at 19, I haven't cried when someone could see from 6 to 19, and from that day until present, although every day I cry inside myself.
I may seem heartless and emotionless, but clients never will see that side of me, they also will never know what pain I'm in and have been in, they pay for a pamper and that's what they will get without my life interfering. So it's no excuse for her.

Now about asberges, if she can't give the clients customer service like they deserve, then class it as a dissability or not, then too bad. You wouldn't hire a paraplegic to paint a roof as they just can't.
I'm all for disability equality, but at times there are some things people with x disability can not do. Xoxo

Didn't read this far. I agree with the others, I'd want to know why, if its personal outside of work then I wouldn't press for a reason as to why, but if a salon reason then I would want to rectify it for not just the sake of future employees but for the sake of te salon and your's names.
It will also show her you care and if not a salon problem would possibly give her the nudge to tell friends you are nice people.

Not enough people in this world show they care for others anymore. Lets change that by starting with the geeks and give this industry the name of "the people who care" xoxo

I'm going to add, you need to have a chat with this girl and give her the opportunity to rectify her mistakes. She may actually tell you a close friend or family died the week she started and its been playing on her mind for all we know.

In regards to her stating she doesn't cry, and people saying they feel sorry for her. In my 23 years of life I have had to deal with a lot, 16 deaths of close friends and family, 3 branches of the family breaking apart due to affairs, the death of a 4 hour old baby, cancer in the family, the thoughts now and again about my dad ad step brothers/ half brothers iv never met, being a carer for many members of family in their last months and hours, personal depression, depression of my mum etc...
Back to the point, I have learned to control my emotions, to deal with life you have to have control. I have cried once in front of someone since I was 6, and that was while I was having a breakdown caused by stress at work after being made redundant, starting a new job, being the prime suspect by the manager for thefts in the new workplace, keeping the family together after a death and caring for a grandparent who didn't have long left. That was at 19, I haven't cried when someone could see from 6 to 19, and from that day until present, although every day I cry inside myself.
I may seem heartless and emotionless, but clients never will see that side of me, they also will never know what pain I'm in and have been in, they pay for a pamper and that's what they will get without my life interfering. So it's no excuse for her.

Now about asberges, if she can't give the clients customer service like they deserve, then class it as a dissability or not, then too bad. You wouldn't hire a paraplegic to paint a roof as they just can't.
I'm all for disability equality, but at times there are some things people with x disability can not do. Xoxo
I find your comments about Aspergers very narrow minded and quite offensive. My son has Aspergers syndrome and i hope that he can achieve great things in life. people with Aspergers are usually highly intelligent but lack social skills as they see the world slightly different to the rest of us 'so called normal people'. They can be taught how to respond correctly to others and given guidance can be extremely valuable members of the working community.
Sometimes we need to be less judgemental and think before we make unfair statements about things we don't fully understand :(

I find your comments about Aspergers very narrow minded and quite offensive. My son has Aspergers syndrome and i hope that he can achieve great things in life. people with Aspergers are usually highly intelligent but lack social skills as they see the world slightly different to the rest of us 'so called normal people'. They can be taught how to respond correctly to others and given guidance can be extremely valuable members of the working community.
Sometimes we need to be less judgemental and think before we make unfair statements about things we don't fully understand :(

I'm making the assumption on this individual persons possible condition. A neighbour of mine has asperges and is fine with me, but mumbles and struggles what to say if a stranger to him is at mine, so I know that getting used to people helps.

When I become an employer again, I will not care about a disability written on a cv, I know to take people as they are. But in this case, if the girl does have a disability that causes her to seem rude and ignorant she isn't suited to the job. It's not the employers job to have to research and train themself on how to help people with x disability to employ them.

It wasn't an attack on anyone, be they "normal" whatever that is, have asperges, or even dementia, it was mainly an observation and opinion that some disabilitys can stop someone from doing the job they are hired for. "
*and yes this girl may have been employed as a therapist, and is good at the treatments, but in most contracts it says to give a high level of customer service, which, like I have said, if she has a disability or not, she can not fulfil and is breaking her contract*

Xoxo

We can all speculate what the underlying reason was, but the fact remains that nobody knows as there was no communication.

In my view, a major role of being the boss is managing people. This includes being able to talk to them about the good and not so good situations that arise along the way, even if it makes you feel uncomfortable to do so.

It's a shame that it came to this, but lessons can always be learned from every situation that we come across in life. It's important to reflect on things like this, so that the same things are not repeated again and again.

I hope in the future that you feel able to talk to the member of staff that you may have concerns about. I know that if I read about myself on an open forum as huge as this, I would be mortified.

You could sit her down & have a 1 week informal review. Ask her how it's going, point out what you're really pleased with, go over salon rules again & tell her what you want her to work on. You need to set her timed goals - you need to work out what improvement you want, how you want to see it and how long she has to improve eg a week or fortnight.

Excellent advice, and I speak with 15 years of managing girls and hygienists in dental clinics.

This particular moody gal may not work out, but the, above advice is stellar or employee management and coaching.

Latest posts

Back