New trend for 2013 - Oyster nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely not for me sorry x

Cavier nails for 2012...oyster nails for 2013? Hmmm what's next in 2014! Guess what ever it is we can expect an under water theme :p

These nails were strictly for catwalk and photo-shoot. ... Not meant to be a trend of any kind and the first time I saw them was nearly 2 years ago ... I think the first person to do them was my talented friend Marian Newman. I'm sure she can confirm.

Yep, I can confirm. I did them for Lady Gaga for her album cover a couple of years ago. She had a nude version and a black version.

Mad nails like that are for shoots and shows and are not meant to be commercial. I create lots of weird nails but it is NEVER in my head that they should be recreated for real life!

I don't even get why some forms of nail art are continually pushed to nail techs when they are not commercially viable and only a tiny number of people in the world wear them! Concentrate on doing fabulous nails and solving problems for every client. If you can create a nail,art design quickly, charge the right amount for the time taken and it looks immaculate (rather than just plain tacky) AND you have clients that want to wear and pay for it, then practice and do it. Otherwise just do great nails and use the quicker effects that can produce stunning decoration in a commercially viable way

I love the last image...they look stunning!

Yep, I can confirm. I did them for Lady Gaga for her album cover a couple of years ago. She had a nude version and a black version.

Mad nails like that are for shoots and shows and are not meant to be commercial. I create lots of weird nails but it is NEVER in my head that they should be recreated for real life!

I don't even get why some forms of nail art are continually pushed to nail techs when they are not commercially viable and only a tiny number of people in the world wear them! Concentrate on doing fabulous nails and solving problems for every client. If you can create a nail,art design quickly, charge the right amount for the time taken and it looks immaculate (rather than just plain tacky) AND you have clients that want to wear and pay for it, then practice and do it. Otherwise just do great nails and use the quicker effects that can produce stunning decoration in a commercially viable way
Mum, you are a legend. x

These nails were strictly for catwalk and photo-shoot. ... Not meant to be a trend of any kind and the first time I saw them was nearly 2 years ago ... I think the first person to do them was my talented friend Marian Newman. I'm sure she can confirm.

I don't expect to see ladies in my local asda wearing them but you can't deny that catwalks 'inspire' trend further down the line, whether it's something as simple as a double French or the colour people are asking for. I've already had someone asking for a double French but in black white and grey. Can't say I am a fan of the double French look though, but I am not a fan of nail art in general except for minx :)

Oh no - they make me feel slightly sick :/ xxx

In total awe that you have done Gaga's nails lol

In total awe that you have done Gaga's nails lol
Lol. She has done Gagas nails for years.

You all really have no idea!! Lol. The privilege of having people like Marian in your midst!! :hug: The time and wisdom she gives to this site. Never beats her own drum or blows her own trumpet. A true professional and the one the truly talented celebrities and professionals love to work with. She has earned her stripes over years and years of dedication to her craft, believe me.

Lol. She has done Gagas nails for years.

You all really have no idea!! Lol. The privilege of having people like Marian in your midst!! :hug: The time and wisdom she gives to this site. Never beats her own drum or blows her own trumpet. A true professional and the one the truly talented celebrities and professionals love to work with. She has earned her stripes over years and years of dedication to her craft, believe me.

That is one of the many reason I love this site and one of the reasons some moaning minnies on this site irritate me.

In our lifetimes, without this site, most of us would never have an opportunity to ask advice from the icons of the nail industry.

And for those iconic people to answer our questions directly.

To use a piece of slang I would never normally utter - totes amazeballs!

That is one of the many reason I love this site and one of the reasons some moaning minnies on this site irritate me.

In our lifetimes, without this site, most of us would never have an opportunity to ask advice from the icons of the nail industry.

And for those iconic people to answer our questions directly.

To use a piece of slang I would never normally utter - totes amazeballs!

I'll second what you just said 😊

I'll second what you just said 😊

I will trice it and go as far as saying some of the moaning minnies should get no advice but a slap with a wet kipper......:smack:Can we please.

Not for me at all..

I will trice it and go as far as saying some of the moaning minnies should get no advice but a slap with a wet kipper......:smack:Can we please.

Ooh to have a 'smacked with a wet kipper' button!! :evil: :wink2:

Did anyone see the name of the nail stylist that designed these? And for what show? ;o)

I'll throw you a bone:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...iego-binetti-nails-spring-2013_n_1871125.html

Remember, couture nails are just that- couture! And needs to be looked at as such. The inspiration for the designers collection was the African goddess of the ocean, and can't you just picture a mermaid with oyster shells for nails? Diego Binetti himself gave the specs for these nails, my team simply translated for him- very out of the box.
I would LOVE to see Marian's, I didn't know there was another set out there like these!

Art is art if it elicits an emotional response lol, I think these accomplished that? ;)

Last edited:
They were seen on spring 2013 runway shows.

1st and 2nd picture are the 'oyster nails'.

I know catwalk fashion is usual not taken literally and we just take inspiration from them, so the 3rd pic is what oyster nails will inspire.

What do u guys think? Third pic doesn't look too bad. Not my taste though :)

A pickers dream come true!

Temporary, catwalk, photog shoots etc? Ok!... otherwise these just get stuck in the hidden draw of nail despair (along with duck feet nails) for me.

Did anyone see the name of the nail stylist that designed these? And for what show? ;o)

I'll throw you a bone:
New York Fashion Week Backstage Beauty: Triple-Tiered Pearl Manicure At Diego Binetti Spring 2013 Show (PHOTO)

Remember, couture nails are just that- couture! And needs to be looked at as such. The inspiration for the designers collection was the African goddess of the ocean, and can't you just picture a mermaid with oyster shells for nails? Diego Binetti himself gave the specs for these nails, my team simply translated for him- very out of the box.
I would LOVE to see Marian's, I didn't know there was another set out there like these!

Art is art if it elicits an emotional response lol, I think these accomplished that? ;)
Way to go Heather, super job. Well done

Lol thanks Rinn, the reaction to these nails is almost as fun as it was to make them ;)

I'll throw you a bone:
New York Fashion Week Backstage Beauty: Triple-Tiered Pearl Manicure At Diego Binetti Spring 2013 Show (PHOTO)

Great nails Heather! I think some take this type of nail a bit too seriously :eek: My funny ole nails were on several of this set of album covers but this is the closest I have on my laptop(and I didn't take any pics) You can just see on her thumb

Attachments

• 1gaga-marian-newman-tripple-nails.jpg
    1gaga-marian-newman-tripple-nails.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 397

Latest posts

Back