NHS or Private Dentist???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABSann

Reaction score
I just wondered how many people have a private dentist or NHS???I am fortunate to have one of the declining NHS dentists.However am I really that fortunate?The dental practice is sooo run down.The receptionist is so rude it's untrue.Not just to me but patients on the phone as well.Even my son couldn't believe the way she talked to patients on the phone whilst sitting in the waiting room.My dentist could win the Olympics for the fastest check up ever.New charges have been brought out,a check up(which should include a scale and polish)costs about £20.00.I knew I needed a scale and polish and yet I had to ask him for one,wasn't happy as this is about the 3rd time I have had to ask him to do it.He is quite rough as well when carrying out the checkup.I know it's ultra cheap but makes me wonder if I should change to Private.Would love some feed back on other peoples dentists please,should I go or should I stay?Would I be mad to leave one of the few NHS dentists around?:eek:

mine was nhs but then the private group arrived they still do both so i pay private for white fillings and a clean but i get x-rays and check ups on the nhs for some reason im not sure why ! hope it makes sense to you!

well i can recommend Steven Reeves in East Street, Fareham. I rarely need treatment so it doesn't cost me much. I think a check up is about £20 and a visit to the hygienist is about £35. Although i had two replacement white fillings and it set me back £250, but they are damned good.

I go to him because he is so wonderful. I used to have a terrible fear of the dentist and I know with him I am in safe hands. He even numbs your gum with a gel before you have the injection so you never feel anything. As soon as I walk in the door the receptionist knows who I am, and it's 5 star treatment all the way. Worth every penny to me as I think my teeth are one of my best assets!

I am with a Dental Surgery that offers both private & nhs. When i joined i asked what the benefits of being private & the two main things were that you had your own implements & longer appointments. This was a few years ago & those were the things that i remember the receptionist saying so don't hold me to that :wink2:

Having said that the thing i hate about my dentist is they give me silver fillings ! I was told i could only have white if im private :irked: even though they would probably whack an extra £50 on for the privilige

mine was nhs but then the private group arrived they still do both so i pay private for white fillings and a clean but i get x-rays and check ups on the nhs for some reason im not sure why ! hope it makes sense to you!
Mmmm I'm at a loss as to why they have different charges for different things.I have to pay private for white fillings as well as they say it's cosmetic.Dont mind that but I feel that being an NHS patient I get sub standard treatment.The dentist never tells the kids they need to improve on their teeth brushing skills(Dont all kids)My old dentist,many moons ago would always give them a little prep talk.He used to blow air onto their teeth to check they didn't need a filling.This one never does that.Its get em in the chair,mouth open,quick look and scrape around with instuments then out of the chair.NEXT PLEASE.I'm a bit worried really.Not sure what to do.Sorry about the moan:mad:

I now attend a very good NHS Dentist but my Dentist before was horrendous!
I think its very important to find a good Dentist as it could end up you paying more in the long run to correct bad treatment!

Since I moved to Bristol I hate the dentist.....I had a fab NHS dentist in Plymouth and when I moved to Bristol I managed to find a fab NHS dentist in the city centre where I was working.....then they went private.....I bought into Denplan, but then I left my well paid job so couldn't afford it anymore.

So I signed up with an NHS dentist in Fishponds......Ok he hasn't been that bad but I was never scared before....I had to have various bits and bobs done when I was pregnant with Laura, had an infection, was in agony and had to go to the GP for pain killers because I couldn't get anything over the counter strong enough as I was pregnant....it was a wierd pregnancy so I don't know if that contributed.....but he couldn't numb me!

He did a root filling on me last February on this dodgy tooth, got an infection again and bits broke off the tooth, went back and he put a temporary filling on it so we could decide whether to cap it or take the tooth out....I still have the temp filling!!! Not been back since.

I almost fainted when he put the jag in my mouth....first time ever....he had to put the chair right back to get some blood to my brain lol!

As I said before I never had a fear of the dentist but now I'm very reluctant to go back!!!!

Since I moved to Bristol I hate the dentist.....I had a fab NHS dentist in Plymouth and when I moved to Bristol I managed to find a fab NHS dentist in the city centre where I was working.....then they went private.....I bought into Denplan, but then I left my well paid job so couldn't afford it anymore.

So I signed up with an NHS dentist in Fishponds......Ok he hasn't been that bad but I was never scared before....I had to have various bits and bobs done when I was pregnant with Laura, had an infection, was in agony and had to go to the GP for pain killers because I couldn't get anything over the counter strong enough as I was pregnant....it was a wierd pregnancy so I don't know if that contributed.....but he couldn't numb me!

He did a root filling on me last February on this dodgy tooth, got an infection again and bits broke off the tooth, went back and he put a temporary filling on it so we could decide whether to cap it or take the tooth out....I still have the temp filling!!! Not been back since.

I almost fainted when he put the jag in my mouth....first time ever....he had to put the chair right back to get some blood to my brain lol!

As I said before I never had a fear of the dentist but now I'm very reluctant to go back!!!!
Oh you poor thing Cathy,my friend going through the same sort of thing at the moment.One side of her face all swollen up because of an infection.She said she looks like the Elephant man.She went back today and screamed as he tried to get the temporary crown out.She was in so much pain and the infection is so nasty that she is toothless at the moment.My dentist is so rough.Kept putting his ultra sonic plaque remover thingy right into my gums.I know he's gotta remove it all but because he was racing against time(as always) he dosn't even ask if I'm okay or give me any respite.I'm there in my chair flinching,mouth full of blood in ruddy agony and he dosn't say not a single word.It's like a white knuckle ride.When I got home he still hadn't even removed all of it.My teeth are really close together so I just cannot floss,when I have tried several different times it gets stuck and shreads.I had a nightmare about the Texas Chainsaw masacre last night,that's what my dentist reminds me of.Sadistic or what.Kids are afraid of him and like you I had a fabulous dentist where I used to live.They were NHS but he was damned good and never hurt me like this one.

well i can recommend Steven Reeves in East Street, Fareham. I rarely need treatment so it doesn't cost me much. I think a check up is about £20 and a visit to the hygienist is about £35. Although i had two replacement white fillings and it set me back £250, but they are damned good.

I go to him because he is so wonderful. I used to have a terrible fear of the dentist and I know with him I am in safe hands. He even numbs your gum with a gel before you have the injection so you never feel anything. As soon as I walk in the door the receptionist knows who I am, and it's 5 star treatment all the way. Worth every penny to me as I think my teeth are one of my best assets!
Maybe I will give them a bell Sarah,sounds like heaven.xx

If you can't get in with Steven then the other bloke is just as good, Natalie goes to him. She never had a fear of dentists until her orthodontist in Cosham butchered her tongue with the nail drill :eek: ( think he's the NSS of the dental world!). When she had to have a filling he was so patient with her and just the best. They are really really good. If you speak to Fiona on reception tell her I recommended you.

OOOhhh I have never been butchered, just really don't know why I have at 37 developed a fear of the dentist!

OOOhhh I have never been butchered, just really don't know why I have at 37 developed a fear of the dentist!

I could have killed him as my girls have never had a fear of dentists like I used to have, I made sure of it. She had 6 teeth out by my dentist and never batted an eyelid. One orthodontist later and all that good work was undone, he was an animal.

Cathie I can recommend a good dentist, it is private though

If you can't get in with Steven then the other bloke is just as good, Natalie goes to him. She never had a fear of dentists until her orthodontist in Cosham butchered her tongue with the nail drill :eek: ( think he's the NSS of the dental world!). When she had to have a filling he was so patient with her and just the best. They are really really good. If you speak to Fiona on reception tell her I recommended you.
I will do Sarah,my kids are scared of our dentist,he made my daughter Georgina's lip bleed whilst doing a check-up.Maybe he is related to your old dentist in Cosham lol.

the boys all go to nhs dentists but round here no nhs dentists are taking on adults unless for emergencey's so i went private, your able to pay as you go, they print a treatment plan for you and you can pay it all off in one go, or pay when you have each appointment i was surprised that it wasnt as expensive as i thought

Cathie I can recommend a good dentist, it is private though
Bet that would be very expensive for a crown, it was going to be £90 for a gold NHS crown and about £200 for a porcelain one....maybeI should just stick with my dodgy temporary one!

Hi,

This has been a very interesting thread to read. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has problems with their NHS dentist ....

I am with a practice that does both private and NHS. I have been with them for 6 years now and have NEVER had the same dentist twice ! They have an extremely high turn over of staff for some reason.

Every time I went I had to pay for the check up and then another £35 to see the Hygienist for a scale and polish. When I asked the dentist whether I ACTUALLY need a Hygienist and if he could not do the scale and polish, I was told that I don't NEED a Hygienist, but he does not do S&P and that the Hygienist needs to earn a living !!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I didn't have a S&P for 2 years simply because I wasn't prepared to pay the money and told the dentist so.

When I went for my last check up about 2 months ago, needless to say, I once again had a different dentist, but this time I got a very mini S&P. Even with that, the whole process only took about 6 min !!

It really is like a conveyor belt.

However, my partner is with a private dentist who he's been with for the past 10 years, and he gets top notch service from him and can not fault him.

Marlise

My 3 year old recently had her first visit to the dentist.

I had to find a new one as we've moved and I've not been in ages. The dentist we've found is lovely, she spent quite a bit of time with her as it was her first visit and she gave me the chat about fizzy drinks and how to brush her teeth properly.

I was so impressed I thought I would register with her, no go their not taking on adults, so I'm at a different dentist across the otherside of town. I havent been yet because the first available appointment is October and I registered in July!

My dentist turned from NHS to private about a year and a half ago & I decided to go private with them as all my family have been with him for about 7 years. He always make you feel comfortable & he always ask's about the rest of my family.

Plus, the receptionist has a record on my dental records to ring me up the day before as I always forget, which I think its brill!! The whole package is 2 check up's a year & a scale & Polish & it only costs me £7.90 per month but I find it definately worth it!!

If you are thinking about going private, I would check out the different packages they offer & choose which one is best for you!

Hi,

This has been a very interesting thread to read. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has problems with their NHS dentist ....

I am with a practice that does both private and NHS. I have been with them for 6 years now and have NEVER had the same dentist twice ! They have an extremely high turn over of staff for some reason.

Every time I went I had to pay for the check up and then another £35 to see the Hygienist for a scale and polish. When I asked the dentist whether I ACTUALLY need a Hygienist and if he could not do the scale and polish, I was told that I don't NEED a Hygienist, but he does not do S&P and that the Hygienist needs to earn a living !!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I didn't have a S&P for 2 years simply because I wasn't prepared to pay the money and told the dentist so.

When I went for my last check up about 2 months ago, needless to say, I once again had a different dentist, but this time I got a very mini S&P. Even with that, the whole process only took about 6 min !!

It really is like a conveyor belt.

However, my partner is with a private dentist who he's been with for the past 10 years, and he gets top notch service from him and can not fault him.

Marlise
This is disgusting.You should either be NHS or private.I would find out which you are as you are cant be both.If You're NHS then for your check up and scrape and polish it should cost under £20.00.These are the NHS rules which are in a poster displayed on our dentist wall.What a cheek for your dentist to tell you that your hygienist needs to make a living and thats why youre having a scrape and polish.Is that your problem?I think not.Our dentist has a huge turnover of dental nurses.The dreaded secretary has always been there,unfortunately.My scrape and polish probably took as long as youres also.The whole thing was a joke and youre experience sounds just like mine.Maybe we will have to go private eh :hug:

Latest posts

Back