NHS or Private Dentist???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of my family, me, Ian & the boys are with an NHS dentist that also does private!! Have to say I can't really complain about ours, only problem is that if you miss or want to change an appiontment on NHS it can take ages for a new one. :( My mum & dad are with 2 diffenent private dentists & my mum has had so many problems with hers, its costing her a fortune. Its seems like all they want it money so the service ain't that great. :( Think we've been really lucky in a way with our dentist!!!

:hug: Hi Geeks Ive got a fab dentist he never makes me feel scared when Ive had 2 have something done.He is a private Dentist and yes the prices are a little on the high side but hes the only dentist I have felt safe with.:lol:

I go to a private dentist that I pay for every month! Not the cheapest thing in the world but again I feel safe with her, she has been my dentist forever and she is very patient with me as I am petrified of going lol!!

at the end of the day you can't put a price on your teeth. it's funny how people will pay say £100 + for hair and nails every few months and not think twice about it but will query the price of the health of your teeth?!?!

Believe me it's worth every penny!! x

I am with Denplan and pay a set amount each month and that covers all I have to have done, except the actual dental technician's fee for making any crowns etc that I might have to have (this usually does not cost much), my dentist also has his own private dental monthly scheme. What I pay is actually less than what my husband seems to pay under the NHS dentist he sees. He had to have fillings and a crown (which is NOT a good colour match to his other teeth, whereas mine is a brilliant match), the total in 12 months for those came to more than my yearly fee :eek: and he has never been sent to see a hygenist whereas I see mine every 6 months and that too is covered by my Denplan fee. I can also get emergency cover through this anywhere in the UK and overseas, for free.
So I would recommend getting a quote from a private dentist for a dental plan of some kind, they are not as expensive as people think and the better your teeth the cheaper it is.:)

HEY GUYS!!!
i work full time as a dental nurse...we a re mostly NHS, but obviuosly taking on private now, as the NHS has majorly changed!!! The government has changed the way everything works, so the charges at NHS practices are nothing to do with the dentists, they now have no say!!! If you can find an NHS, go with them...they are a dying breed!!! gradually being phased out!!! Please be nice to us...not many people smile at us anymore!!! hehehehe!!!
Mxx
Ps...you dont need to be scared at the dentist...we aren't nasty!!! Most of us are scardey cats too...I had to go to A&E last night to have some glass taken out of my foot and they had to give me gas and air and I still cried like a baby!!! And, the worst thing...I hadnt done my feet, so toenails in need of TLC...I spend too much time looking after other peoples feet and not enough time looking after my own!!!
Mxxx

at the end of the day you can't put a price on your teeth. it's funny how people will pay say £100 + for hair and nails every few months and not think twice about it but will query the price of the health of your teeth?!?!

Believe me it's worth every penny!! x
I understand what you're saying but there are alot of people that have children and wouldn't be able to afford that kind of money,hair and nails included.My issue isn't about the money.I have to be honest though my son has now got braces,because we were NHS I didn't have to pay for them.If I hadn't been NHS they would have cost me £2000..I have my younger son who will also need braces when He's a bit older.Another £2000..All I can say is there aren't a lot of people who can afford that sort of money,I'm not badly off however that is a lot of money and I would have struggled to find it as would a lot of other people..Teeth are important as is the health of them.I dont get good service from my NHS dentist but as there are 5 of us in my family I just could't afford to change at the moment.Its not all black and white and where it may well be worth every penny there are an awful lot of people that just dont have those sort of pennies to spend,unfortunately.:cry:

I understand what you're saying but there are alot of people that have children and wouldn't be able to afford that kind of money,hair and nails included.My issue isn't about the money.I have to be honest though my son has now got braces,because we were NHS I didn't have to pay for them.If I hadn't been NHS they would have cost me £2000..I have my younger son who will also need braces when He's a bit older.Another £2000..All I can say is there aren't a lot of people who can afford that sort of money,I'm not badly off however that is a lot of money and I would have struggled to find it as would a lot of other people..Teeth are important as is the health of them.I dont get good service from my NHS dentist but as there are 5 of us in my family I just could't afford to change at the moment.Its not all black and white and where it may well be worth every penny there are an awful lot of people that just dont have those sort of pennies to spend,unfortunately.:cry:
At my private dentist children are still treated under the NHS as long as thier parents are with the dentist privately and I think most are the same so you still wouldnt have had to pay for the children. As I said in my reply above Denplan is not as expensive as people imagine, and some dentist run their own insurance schemes too. Why not just look into it even if its just out of curiousity?

At my private dentist children are still treated under the NHS as long as thier parents are with the dentist privately and I think most are the same so you still wouldnt have had to pay for the children. As I said in my reply above Denplan is not as expensive as people imagine, and some dentist run their own insurance schemes too. Why not just look into it even if its just out of curiousity?

This has changed now, as far as I am aware. I am with a private dentist and the children had always been treated there under the NHS however earlier in the year this changed and now I have to pay for the children too. The dentist wasn't very happy, and neither was I !!

My friend is the same as this to. She is private & her 3 children are nhs at the same dentist. Her eldest has just had braces at the orthodentist (or whatever you say!) which was nhs but she did have the option to have them fitted at a private clinic at an extra cost but due to the price went nhs instead.

It may depend on the dentist though so could be worth checking out :)

i know exactly what your saying and i know it wasn't just about the money. i'm a qualified dental nurse and believe me i've seen what can go on in certain dental practices...i've refused to work with certain dentists due to the complete lack of cross infection, some of the stories i could tell!! :eek:
If you can find a really good NHS dentist then to be honest there isn't nessecarily the need to go private, i've worked in private and NHS and some dentist use the same Materials etc on both and like people have said you can get certain things privately that the NHS won't fund such as cosmetic work or composite fillings (white) in molar teeth and still be an NHS patient. Children and people on benefits get there treatment for free. (not sure how it works now as i've been left a couple of years and there's a new system in place). you don't need to spend a lot to have a good dentist, i do realise however these seem to be few and far between. It's a shame you don't live nearer to me i could recommend and excellent NHS dentist who are still taking on new NHS patients :hug: .

xxx

One of my clients work in a large private dental practice and she has informed me that children do have to pay here.I have also enquired at several other dental practices around here and they have all said the same thing.The braces would have to be paid for also.However I am looking into Denplan as an alternative.Thanks for your advice.:hug:

One of my clients work in a large private dental practice and she has informed me that children do have to pay here.I have also enquired at several other dental practices around here and they have all said the same thing.The braces would have to be paid for also.However I am looking into Denplan as an alternative.Thanks for your advice.:hug:

Yep just checked and mine cannot under the new dental contracts treat children under the NHS now either:eek: ....what is that all about....isnt it hard enough to get an NHS dentist already without now making it even harder as there will be loads of parents trying to get one for their kids seeing as they cannot have NHS treatment at the parents private dentist now, due to the change in the rules!! What diffrerence does it make who they go to as the treatment is the same it just meant there were less people needing NHS dentists before:irked:

Yep just checked and mine cannot under the new dental contracts treat children under the NHS now either:eek: ....what is that all about....isnt it hard enough to get an NHS dentist already without now making it even harder as there will be loads of parents trying to get one for their kids seeing as they cannot have NHS treatment at the parents private dentist now, due to the change in the rules!! What diffrerence does it make who they go to as the treatment is the same it just meant there were less people needing NHS dentists before:irked:
I dread to think what a lot of kids teeth will end up like when they are adults.There are a lot of people who are going to skimp on having their kids teeth checked,not because they dont care but cause they cant afford to go private and they cant get on an NHS list.Maybe I should count myself lucky eh!!!:eek:

Oh my god i am outraged, that surely can't be right!! i've just checked this too as i'm so gobsmacked. children should have a right to be seen on the nhs up until there 16 or 19 in full time education. it's amazing what private practices get away with i suppose that's because they don't have a body to check up on them such as the PCT (primary care trust) like NHS practices to.

god it really winds me up! i suppose i'm lucky some of my mates are dentists so they'll always be someone i can go too.

xx

xx

Oh my god i am outraged, that surely can't be right!! i've just checked this too as i'm so gobsmacked. children should have a right to be seen on the nhs up until there 16 or 19 in full time education. it's amazing what private practices get away with i suppose that's because they don't have a body to check up on them such as the PCT (primary care trust) like NHS practices to.

god it really winds me up! i suppose i'm lucky some of my mates are dentists so they'll always be someone i can go too.

xx

xx

This is all to do with our lovely Government and their new rules NOT the private dentists...they had no choice in the matter. That why I cannot see why it matters if the kids go to an NHS dentist or private one for NHS treatemnt as the money still comes out of the same purse.:irked: Yes, they do still have to adhere to strict rules and are checked out.

xx

xx
I know, it's disgusting,the scary thing is that children cannot pay for their own dental treatment,therefore if the parents havn't got the finances to pay for their childrens dental care who pays???Nobody,they end up with irreversible damage/decay etc.Dental health care is so important and it's the children who are going to suffer.It's very sad.xx

This is all to do with our lovely Government and their new rules NOT the private dentists...they had no choice in the matter. That why I cannot see why it matters if the kids go to an NHS dentist or private one for NHS treatemnt as the money still comes out of the same purse.:irked: Yes, they do still have to adhere to strict rules and are checked out.

it dosen't matter if kids go to a private or nhs practice they should still be seen on the nhs up until the age of 16 or 19 depending on whether they stay on at school. so surely that is to do with the the private practices and what rules they put in place on whether they see children or not . the new rules that the government have put in place (PCT) is actually benefical to the nhs patients and the nhs dentist, who now get paid a yearly wage not for treatments that they do. it all boils down to greed...where the money is and i'm afraid thats where private dentists come into play...they see the pound signs, hence why there are fewer NHS dentists around then there used to be!

xx

This is disgusting.You should either be NHS or private.I would find out which you are as you are cant be both.If You're NHS then for your check up and scrape and polish it should cost under £20.00.These are the NHS rules which are in a poster displayed on our dentist wall.

Hi Babs,

That's a good point. When I asked the dentist why I had to pay £35 for a S&P when I am a NHS patient, he said that was the price, even though I knew that other people that where NHS patients were paying much less.

I asked them 3 times about this and every time I got the same answer. I might just actually take this up with them.

Marlise

Oh you poor thing Cathy,my friend going through the same sort of thing at the moment.One side of her face all swollen up because of an infection.She said she looks like the Elephant man.She went back today and screamed as he tried to get the temporary crown out.She was in so much pain and the infection is so nasty that she is toothless at the moment.My dentist is so rough.Kept putting his ultra sonic plaque remover thingy right into my gums.I know he's gotta remove it all but because he was racing against time(as always) he dosn't even ask if I'm okay or give me any respite.I'm there in my chair flinching,mouth full of blood in ruddy agony and he dosn't say not a single word.It's like a white knuckle ride.When I got home he still hadn't even removed all of it.My teeth are really close together so I just cannot floss,when I have tried several different times it gets stuck and shreads.I had a nightmare about the Texas Chainsaw masacre last night,that's what my dentist reminds me of.Sadistic or what.Kids are afraid of him and like you I had a fabulous dentist where I used to live.They were NHS but he was damned good and never hurt me like this one.
sorry about your bad experience, but in regards to flossing, have your tried Glide floss. It may break when you try to get the floss in between (if your contacts are super tight) but it won't shred.

Latest posts

Back