Nightmare...please say it gets better!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pippit

Reaction score
I had a client today who was the first person I have done Shellac on that I didn't know and was having done for a wedding tomorrow. I don't know why but I was really nervous and this didn't get any better when I got there.
She was really nice, not had shellac before and choose Iced Cap, which I find the shimmers harder to get a nice finish on, so her choice of colour didn't relax me. Anyway, I was actually shaking slightly when I was putting the coats on. But my biggest problem was I noticed on two fingers after I cured the first colour coat that there was a small bit sticking out, it wasn't a bubble. I'm am not sure if it was a bit of cuticle or what and I didn't know how to sort it, I carried on hoping it might look better when I had finished, but I could still see the little lump of whatever it was.
Can anyone tell me what it could have been? I do my PEP etc as I was taught on my Shellac training course and if it happened again how I can correct it. Also will I get over these nerves, feel really deflated tonight and questioning if I can actually do this for a living or not.
Customer seemed happy , but not sure once she inspects closely.

Hi Pippit
First let me give you a big hug ))((
I know the feeling your not alone but it will get better believe me.
Now the little bit you saw sticking up. Could have been a bit of stubborn cuticle still on the nail plate. Once you are sure that you have it all off give the nail a good scrub with scrub fresh to make sure it is all off.
If you only notice this after you have started on the application it still may be possible to smooth the bit away. I've had this and after putting on the top coat and removing the sticky layer I've gone very lightly with a buffer block to smooth it out them apply another layer if top coat. Obviously it's better to make sure it's all off before this point.
So please don't worry. I still shake like a leaf when I get a new client but it's all inside you wouldn't know.
Hope I've made you feel a bit better :)
Vicki xx

Hi Pippet,

I'm sorry to hear you are suffering with nerves!! I was the same but if you do lots of friends and family at a discount you will gain confidence and it will soon become easier, you will also get the experience to deal with these little problems without the pressure of it being a 'real' client:D:D

I only mentioned the discount because I found it helped me to relax and took the pressure off if I knew the friend or relative was getting a 'deal' or 'favour' out of it too:p

Good luck!!!!! xxxx

I have occasionally had these little bumps,(only in Iced Cappuccino) some times higher up the nail & I'm pretty sure it's not cuticle. I normally notice after my first coat of colour so rightly or wrongly I have corrected it by removing the tacky layer after curing and then using a very gentle file to buff out the bump, I then wipe away any dust, apply my second layer of colour & cure as normal. Topcoat. Done. It works for me. :)

I have to say I love Shellac but I really dislike Iced Cappuchino, it is the only one I have come across that I do not like, I put it on a client a couple of weeks ago and she told me this week that she does not like it so is coming for a new color on Monday.

I have it on a colorpop but I also warn clients that the final finish has a metalic look which appears streaky (not sure if it should but it always does when I apply it :o) This colour is now my first choice to put under rockstar as you will not see the streaks lol

its usually when you haven't gotten rid of all the cuticle shavings or dust :) also agree iced cap is streaky and evil :p

I still shake when it comes to painting! You are not alone. Only advice I can give you is don't ever say to the client anything about it(the shaking) and pretend that you are confident. That's what I do.
I am sure once you have done a few more clients, the shaking will go away.

Thank you all for you support and advice.

I've not got Iced Cap yet, but could you layer it over something like Cocoa? I have the same problem with Strawberry Smoothie, but using Gotcha for the first layer and then Smoothie over it works a treat and the colour is almost identical, just with the desired shimmer and no streaks!.

Mat

i can't help but i just wanted to add, it does get better! in a few months/ year when you've done hundreds of shellac you will look back and laugh at your mistakes, you will learn from them so dont be embarrised :hug: x

i can't help but i just wanted to add, it does get better! in a few months/ year when you've done hundreds of shellac you will look back and laugh at your mistakes, you will learn from them so dont be embarrised :hug: x
So strange how taste differs in different areas ... Iced Cappuccino is one of our most requested Shellac colours and if applied correctly and with a light touch, all frosted colours should not appear to be overly streaky.

It is a feature of frosted colours that you will get slight 'lines' in it and this is also true with any kind of frosted polish .. Every brush stroke will show if you use too much or are too heavy handed when applying it ... You also need to work in beautiful straight strokes with any frosted polish. Different skills are needed when using frosted polishes as opposed to creams as frosted polishes will show every mistake you make more clearly. Frosted polish is not evil ... You just need to adapt and foster the skills you need to apply it beautifully.

Regarding getting out of 'trouble' if you have left over cuticle causing a blip in your polish surface, both methods explained above work perfectly to eliminate the blip. It really is common sense and knowing how your product works and these things are really not difficult to solve.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back