No customers after 2 months. Struggling :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails<3

Reaction score
Hi, I started my own business up around 2 months ago, I offer spray tan,shellac,gelish,acrylics,rockstar etc.

I have done about 6 spray tans for new customer in the last 2 months that is it. 1 from a recommendation from someone. I have no idea who.

I offer shellac,gelish and rockstar,but no-one knows what they are!

I wish my area would have Shellac. I also have Gelish. No one knows what either of these are and trying to explain to them is like banging my head against a wall. All I get is how much do you charge for acrylics pink and white.

Now a new week has started and I have no bookings or interest.:(
I have a fb page,advertise on every free website I can find. I have business cards,tshirts printed etc and now ordering car magnets and bumper stickers.

The people who I have tanned are just one offs,they needed them for weddings and they wont be having another one anytime soon but they said next time they need one I will be called.

There a lots of girls in my area thinking they can offer acrylics without the training and offer a set for £10 so when I was asked to so 3 sets of nails I said the charge would be £64 which is cheap - she turned round and said no I can get them done for £10 lol then went to slag me off on her fb page saying im only mobile why should I charge so much and then mobile spray tans for only £10 using the same solution as me :/ I cant charge that little. Maybe I will have to consider dropping my prices.

I am finding it so hard trying to bring new customers in, I have 250 people on my fb page and not one has asked for any services. How can I be different? Im seriously struggling at the mo with it so any advice would be appreciated x

hey had same prob. figured my services were 'GRANDER' than area i stayed in. with much reluctance i had to rent a room in another area were im glad to say am more appreciated!!

jus sending you a hug and hoping all works out for you.xx:hug:

hey had same prob. figured my services were 'GRANDER' than area i stayed in. with much reluctance i had to rent a room in another area were im glad to say am more appreciated!!

jus sending you a hug and hoping all works out for you.xx:hug:

That sounds like a very good idea. That's food for thought for me.

And to the OP, I hope things pick up. I'm just starting up myself and I'm worried about all the things you listed. I'm sure some more geeks will have some tips for you. X

Thanks girls,

It is so hard but I knew it wasnt going to happen over night,but I thought I would have atleast 3/4 a week to start of with maybe less.

It is so disheartening. I have been thinking about renting a room for my spray tans. How do I get the word around about Shellac and Gelish. My MIL has only just had her Shellac taken off this weekend after 3/4 weeks. She loved it and will be having them done again this weekend but no one seems to be interested in anything.

I dont really want to have to drop my prices but if thats what it takes :( I have offered this week either spray tan,Gelish or Shellac @£15 each or spray tan and nails are £28. Not a sausage this week. x x x

First things first.....dont drop your prices! Every single person on here will back me up on that one. Cheap therapist dont stick aroind for long and anyway, you should charge for what u believe reflects your level of service and quality.

Have you considered a website at all. Even a basic and free site will bring in customers if it is optimised well.

Lastly, if you have not done so allready, claim your google places listing. Its free and is extremely effective in bringing new custom.

If u need any help with google places and optimising it to show for your chosen keywords, pm me. Im always happy to offer advice and give away those little golden nuggets of info that can boost your business

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Marking this for later!

First things first.....dont drop your prices! Every single person on here will back me up on that one. Cheap therapist dont stick aroind for long and anyway, you should charge for what u believe reflects your level of service and quality.

Have you considered a website at all. Even a basic and free site will bring in customers if it is optimised well.

Lastly, if you have not done so allready, claim your google places listing. Its free and is extremely effective in bringing new custom.

If u need any help with google places and optimising it to show for your chosen keywords, pm me. Im always happy to offer advice and give away those little golden nuggets of info that can boost your business

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Backing up on that one - Do not drop your prices!

Another good way to advertise is to use the nail services on your self, do your self a stonking set of minx, super blinging nails, a great colour from your Gelish/Shellac ranges, what ever you fancy and choose your check out assistant carefully when you visit shops and supermarkets - people see, people want!

Arm your self with your business cards wherever you go and down be afraid to hand them out left right and center... leave them on busses, ask nicer shops if they will have some on the counter for you.. I usually offer to pay a small fee. Advertise in newsagents windows & post offices... they usualy have a board right where the queue is!

Keep going and do not listen to people who are trying to bring your prices down for them selves, they are doing it for their own selfish benefit. You are the qualified awesome nail technician, who are they? Cheapskates... cheapskates that can quite frankly go elsewhere :D xx

I'm starting up in November and also worried about being quiet. Have heard lots on here about cheaper therapists killing work for others but I have also heard that you should stick to your guns and charge your worth. MrsGeek replied on a thread yesterday about that very thing. I agree about the website, google places and any other free advertising you can do. Have you got yourself out there going to places that hold slimming classes etc? Women that go to slimming classes care about their appearance so putting some leaflets or business cards there might be a good option. Doing shows etc? Booking yourself in at schools for Christmas Fayres etc. There is a thread on here that has lots of suggestions about how to promote your business.

Really hoping things pick up for you, it must be very deflating and terrifies me that it will happen to me too! But we have to think positive, just tell yourself that next week you'll be busy, get yourself out there and fingers crossed for you xx

Backing up on that one - Do not drop your prices!

Another good way to advertise is to use the nail services on your self, do your self a stonking set of minx, super blinging nails, a great colour from your Gelish/Shellac ranges, what ever you fancy and choose your check out assistant carefully when you visit shops and supermarkets - people see, people want!

Arm your self with your business cards wherever you go and down be afraid to hand them out left right and center... leave them on busses, ask nicer shops if they will have some on the counter for you.. I usually offer to pay a small fee. Advertise in newsagents windows & post offices... they usualy have a board right where the queue is!

Keep going and do not listen to people who are trying to bring your prices down for them selves, they are doing it for their own selfish benefit. You are the qualified awesome nail technician, who are they? Cheapskates... cheapskates that can quite frankly go elsewhere :D xx

I currently have rockstar on my hands at the mo, coral and brown looks gorgeous :) no one notices tho haha. I showed my bfs sis the other week and she was like yeah I have seen those glitter nails done, they just out polish on and sprinkle giltter. Obviously that is how they do it round here :/ but mine have been on for about 3 weeks and still look amazing.

I will be definatley going round shops to hand out my cards and my dad said he is going to help my flyer on friday which is a great help!

Your right I do not want to bring my prices down,after all the hardwork,late nights and money I have put into it I think I deserve to be paid but my prices aren't expensive,people have just got used to rip off techs :( I dont want cheap customers!!! x x x thanks

I'm starting up in November and also worried about being quiet. Have heard lots on here about cheaper therapists killing work for others but I have also heard that you should stick to your guns and charge your worth. MrsGeek replied on a thread yesterday about that very thing. I agree about the website, google places and any other free advertising you can do. Have you got yourself out there going to places that hold slimming classes etc? Women that go to slimming classes care about their appearance so putting some leaflets or business cards there might be a good option. Doing shows etc? Booking yourself in at schools for Christmas Fayres etc. There is a thread on here that has lots of suggestions about how to promote your business.

Really hoping things pick up for you, it must be very deflating and terrifies me that it will happen to me too! But we have to think positive, just tell yourself that next week you'll be busy, get yourself out there and fingers crossed for you xx

I think that once these people have gone to the cheap crappy therapists they will need a better service. Slimming classes are a fantastic idea thank you for tht, a tan makes everyone feel great so that should be a good one!

I am looking into xmas fayres etc at the moment and looking into xmas packages. The women at my sons school arent ones for spray tans,I walk in to the playground in my tunic or printed tshirt they stare at me like im an alien lol but I can give it a good go!

Thank you for your advice,its really helpful :) x

Don't cut your prices! I second that! What you could do is a promotional offer, (for a limited time only) just to get people through the door! You could also offer discounts, loyalty cards, gift vouchers, a scheme such as 'colour of the month' or say 10% off this treatment when you get such and such a treatment done. Free paraffin wax with a manicure? Just a few examples off the top of my head. I always wear French gels and most of the time clients say 'I'll have what you've got' so it definitely works! I am very quiet in town at the mo but business from home is thriving! Strange, eh? Hope this has been of some help to you.. Just stay positive and keep aiming for the stars! :)

Won't let me quote for some reason but was going to say I know that feeling well! We are new to the area and don't know a soul, have got the blingy-est Minx I've got on my toes and shellac on my fingers hoping it might spark conversation but nope, nothing. Just persevere, it will turn around for you soon I'm sure, you're being proactive about it so good things come to those who wait :wink2: :hug:

Ok girls, you sometimes need to take a step back and look at what isn't working for you.

If glitter nails aren't working then just put on plain Shellac and push the point that it lasts 2/3 weeks.

Times are hard so young mums generally don't have the money to pay someone properly so look at who has the money. Women my age who's families are grown but who are still in work. Their mortgages are paid off and they have more disposable income than younger women. They also tend to look after their appearances more.

If you can be flexible with appointment times you can target businesswomen who are stuck for time and get fed up changing nail polish every other day. Maybe do a leaflet drop at a local big business, Insurance Companies etc or larger stores where the staff need to look good. Give a discount for their staff. Christmas is coming so you might pick up business for then.

It is usual to stick within your peer group and who you are comfortable with but you need to go with the money and after years of struggle it is my lot that have it! :wink2:

Agree with shedunlop totally...

And besides from blaming clients for not "understanding" what you're offering, maybe you should evaluate what it is they DO like and push that a bit more. Also step back from the personal aspect and think of it as a business - exactly WHAT is going wrong. It is NOT normal to have no clients for long periods of time... What is the feed back you get from your clients? Where are you positioned? What services do well in your local area? What are you competition doing and what are their prices like? Whilst I'm NOT suggesting you cut your prices, I AM suggesting that if people in your exact same situation are charging less then it might be worth re-evaluating your pricing structure (and vice versa if they're charging more) to be more inline with others.

Are you in a salon? Or do you rent a room? Or are you mobile? Maybe you said but I missed it and that will make a big difference to the type of advice you get....

Completely agree with Shedunlop.

I also agree with the geek that said you should set up a website! About half of my new clients come from the internet and people are much more likely to give you a call if they can see your prices, etc.

I did a leaflet drop of about 1000 leaflets when i opened up and it was great. This doesn't work for everybody, but i'm on a semi-council estate and it worked wonders. My popular treatments tend to be more of the basic essentials, such as waxing and pedicures rather than more indulgent treatments, so as previously said, you might want to look into what will work in your area.

Another thing you can do is to make a deal with a local shop. Somewhere where the shop workers will be seen by a lot of customers. Offer them a large discount in order to shellac their nails and do whatever else they would like...in return, they keep your cards on hand and pass them on to anyone that comments on their amazing nails.

Don't forget to do all your family too and make sure they have your cards to hand on, in the supermarket or wherever.

Do not drop your prices, you won't make any money.

Good luck xx

I found by doing friends nails & getting them to rave about them & give them cards to pass out to others. Get in touch with other small business' in your area & ask them if they will had out your cards to their clients & you do the same for them, one of my clients runs pole fitness lessons & I offer her clients a 10% discount via a voucher at the pole audio, charity nights are good too. Pay a small fee for your 'stall' then offer mini manicures, eyebrow waxing & have your full price list available with a small booklet with pictures of your work for people to look at, offer pamper parties where if there are 6 or more paying guests the host gets a free treatment. All great ways of getting yourself known x

Agree with shedunlop totally...

And besides from blaming clients for not "understanding" what you're offering, maybe you should evaluate what it is they DO like and push that a bit more. Also step back from the personal aspect and think of it as a business - exactly WHAT is going wrong. It is NOT normal to have no clients for long periods of time... What is the feed back you get from your clients? Where are you positioned? What services do well in your local area? What are you competition doing and what are their prices like? Whilst I'm NOT suggesting you cut your prices, I AM suggesting that if people in your exact same situation are charging less then it might be worth re-evaluating your pricing structure (and vice versa if they're charging more) to be more inline with others.

Are you in a salon? Or do you rent a room? Or are you mobile? Maybe you said but I missed it and that will make a big difference to the type of advice you get....

I am not blaming clients for not understanding me,I am merely saying that they do not know the services I am offering and it is hard trying to get them to try new things out. They only want pink and white with maybe a pattern. I am just finding it hard to bring people round to shellac,gelish etc.

Previously before I had my rockstar on I had Gelish on so I am showcasing,but being stuck in an office 8-6 is not really the time to show my nails of to a group of lads especially lol :) I do try and get out to places at the weekends where I know prospective clients would be. I have gave all my friends business cards and my website and fb page is now on her website which is extra advertising.

I do have a website but it is not showing up on google - I have added the URL on so just waiting for google to do that.

My feedback from clients have been so good,but like I said they are not regular tanners. It was a one off for weddings and holidays. I have had one lady text me today to book in.

I have advertised everywhere I can think of,I am mobile so I travel to clients so where im situated isnt a problem.

Also - Some tanning therapists are charging £10 for a mobile spray tan so what do I do charge £9 to win competition. A girl has just advertised sienna x tan for £10. I cannot compete with these prices. I cannot compete with £10 acrylics that people are expecting. So then im left with nothing as they all want the cheapest option.

I know it is not normal to have no clients but I am trying my hardest to bring custom in everyway I can think off. Its obviously just not working anymore.

Thank you x x

The cheapest option is never the best... Don't drop your prices that low. With being mobile it's so hard... Do you have another full time job, or is this it for you? Have you thought about renting a room in a salon? Do you have a facebook page, and how many local "fans" do you have on there?

I'm a salon, so it's a little different, but I get so many of my clients through facebook - it's literally the best advertising I do!

Sorry for all the questions - I'm just trying to help get to the bottom of what's going on for you and how you can improve it. I don't have a lot of time so tend to just get straight to the point, which can sometimes come across as being curt - I'm really quite friendly, honest! :p

I'm in Rugby and Shellac is really popular. I haven't advertise Shellac, I sent aan email to client's and I have it on my website site and have been in and dated with shellac.

I've had people from Coventry come to me. I think the best form of advertising is leaflet drop. Why not send email's out to hairdressers offering a 20% discount? ask them if you can leave leaflet's? There isn't many people in cov doing shellac, you can really push it. Shellac is a great product it sells itself you just have to getv the word out about it.

If someone want's it cheaper leave them to it, don't feel bullied into offering cheaper.

Latest posts

Back